T Nation

Tibialis Anterior Question

Is this muscle responds well for “standard” mass training or it is “special” like calves or forearm?
I think is very important muscle due to protecting the shins.
Do you personally train it directly?

[quote]tonaryzu wrote:
Is this muscle responds well for “standard” mass training or it is “special” like calves or forearm?
I think is very important muscle due to protecting the shins.
Do you personally train it directly?[/quote]

I’ve never trained the tibialis directly or had any of my clients training is directly as part of their regular program. The only time I had someone use it, was to help him with periostitis, which he tended to have repetitively when sprinting.

BTW, there is no “special muscle”… some muscles might respond better to slightly higher reps not because they are “special” but because they are involved in a very short range of motion. A shorter range of motion makes it hard to stimulate growth when using low reps because the time under tension is very short.

So, You think compound lower body lifts is enough for this muscle? You’re a bodybuilder so I guess if You had some lack in this part, you’d work on it.

[quote]tonaryzu wrote:
So, You think compound lower body lifts is enough for this muscle? You’re a bodybuilder so I guess if You had some lack in this part, you’d work on it.
[/quote]

I’m not a bodybuilder. My background is as an olympic lifter. I also did a few bodybuilding competitions and trained athletes from 27 different sports as well as competitive bodybuilders. I do focus on building a lot of muscle and strength, but I do so mostly via performance training not typical isolation bodybuilding work.

Ok.
BTW - great thread, you do a lot of good job here for free.
Thanks!
And, of course, expect more question from me in the future :slight_smile:

I know John Meadows likes to superset tibialis anterior exercises between gastrocnemius exercises. He believes this helps in overall calf development.

for sure, and I think big calves with small tibialis is almost like a big quads with small hamstrings. Actually I don’t train lower legs directly but I ask for the future :slight_smile:

I’ve noticed that whenever I add sprints back in somewhere to my training, my tib anterior gets MAJOR sore, which is a great thing IMO (in terms of overall physique development and injury prevention). After finding this out I now try to do some type of weekly sprint somewhere in the week… could be hill sprints, 200m sprints, etc.