T Nation

Thyroidectomy!

I was just recently diagnosed with papillary thyroid cancer. The good news is that it's literally 100% curable although I am going to have my thyroid gland removed.

I was curious if anyone has had their thyroid removed and if they had any problems maintaining a lean body after the removal. I've briefly mentioned to my doctor about concerns with my metabolism and he thought it might actually improve once I start my thyroid medication. I've always maintained body fat levels around 9% so have been kind of stressing over starting thyroid medication.

Ahhh, the vanity! At any rate, I'd appreciate any feedback from those with experience. Peace.

A friend of mine had his thyroid go on the fritz a few years ago, going hypo then hyper active (or maybe the reverse). Anyway, by fiddling with the medication doses he was able to make rapid and rather radical bodycomp changes. It wasn't entirely intentional for him and I wouldn't suggest playing too much with the dosages, but things did work out pretty well for him.

Thanx for the info etaco. I'm gonna bump this thread just in case anyone else familiar with this situation comes across it.

Sorry to hear about your condition. I've been told that a thyroidectomy is a very delicate procedure as the gland wraps around the throat including the arteries. I still have my thyroid, although I've been told that it doesn't do much work for me at all. A lot of people gain weight with hypothyroidism, however, it made me feel so bad that I actually lost a lot of weight aside from feeling like shit all the time. Once I got my levels straightened out everything pretty much went back to almost normal and has been for the last few years - since I switched to natural thyroid (as opposed to synthetic). It is imperative that you get on the right dosage or you will have unwanted side effects whether the dosage is too much or too little. There is a lot of mis-information out there about thryoid disease and the proper treatments, so I urge you to research it as much as possible, because unless your doctor is very knowledgeable about it, he/she probably falls into this category. The good news is that you should be able to perform at a high level once everything gets straightened out. The bad news is that it can take several months to get it that way and it can be frustrating. Good luck and feel free to PM me if you have any more questions and I will try to help out. By no means am I an expert, but I've been through a lot over the past 10 years due to my thyroid.

DB

Much appreciated DB! I believe I'm in very good hands as far as my endocrinologist is concerned. Haha, I know him as he has been my primary physician for my Type I juvenille diabetes. I'll definitely take you up on your offer should I have any questions. Thanx.

Is your thyroid gland still functioning properly at this point?

If so, you may want to get a comprehensive thyroid blood panel done to see where your values are. Then you could try to adjust your medication to keep your values as close to that as possible.

Take care,

Ryan