Thyroid Test Results... Hypo or Not?

Hello,

I’m on HRT (T-cyp/HCG/A-dex) and my numbers are nearly perfect… TT/FT near top of range, E2 low 20s, but there’s still something that isn’t quite right. Specifically mood/energy/libido, which are better than they used to be, but still less than optimal.

I’ve heard that TSH above 2.0, paired with symptoms, can be indicative of hypothyroidism, so I had a thyroid panel run.
The results:

TSH: 3.408 (ref 0.450-4.500)
T4: 6.3 (4.5 - 12.0)
T3 free: 3.6 (2.3-4.2)
T4 free: 1.21 (0.61-1.76)

Might a low dose of armour thyroid help with the symptoms I mentioned? NB- I tried cabergoline for about 6 weeks, doses from 0.5-1.0mg per week but it did nothing but give me headaches at the higher dose.

Thanks for your help!

Bump…

anyone???

I am not a doctor, and this is not a diagnosis.

Your TSH is rather high, indicating that your brain thinks your thyroid needs more than normal prompting to function. But, your other thyroid related numbers seem to be ok.

You should ask a doctor.

ask a doctor. I do 300mg of synthroid per day. This is one of those things where you should probably get a perscription and take real medicine.

Also, it takes 3-4 weeks of taking thyroid medication before you’ll feel a difference. Plus it will take a couple months for your doc to dial in the right dosage.
Train Harder
Old Lardass

Thanks for your replies. I only take real medicine… research chems too risky imo. I have a doctor, but he’s of the ‘if it’s in the range listed on the paper then i don’t think it’s a problem’ variety. He tested TSH only with my usual HRT blood tests, and it originally came in at 3.2 and he said that was fine… so i had the other tests done myself just to check T4,T3 etc. I basically just use him as a pen-wielding, prescription-monkey, because he’s fairly clueless.

It seems from info I’ve read that meds could help, and since there’s only one way to find out, I’m going to get a script (there are ways…:-), monitor blood work and see what happens.

[quote]amj99 wrote:
Thanks for your replies. I only take real medicine… research chems too risky imo. I have a doctor, but he’s of the ‘if it’s in the range listed on the paper then i don’t think it’s a problem’ variety. He tested TSH only with my usual HRT blood tests, and it originally came in at 3.2 and he said that was fine… so i had the other tests done myself just to check T4,T3 etc. I basically just use him as a pen-wielding, prescription-monkey, because he’s fairly clueless.

It seems from info I’ve read that meds could help, and since there’s only one way to find out, I’m going to get a script (there are ways…:-), monitor blood work and see what happens.[/quote]

No. Wrong. Stop that.
You are not hypothyroid.
Now put down that pill this minute!

[quote]DrSkeptix wrote:
amj99 wrote:

It seems from info I’ve read that meds could help, and since there’s only one way to find out, I’m going to get a script (there are ways…:-), monitor blood work and see what happens.

No. Wrong. Stop that.
You are not hypothyroid.
Now put down that pill this minute![/quote]

Could you expand a bit, please?

[quote]amj99 wrote:
DrSkeptix wrote:
amj99 wrote:

No. Wrong. Stop that.
You are not hypothyroid.
Now put down that pill this minute!

Could you expand a bit, please?[/quote]

(First, the value of a test is based on its context–i.e., what is going on?)

Here, every measure of thyroid function is normal. The pituitary acts as a a very sensitive “thermostat” for the body, measuring the biologic action of T4 and T3. Your pituitary is very happy in this regard.

There are some people with normal levels of T4 and T3 who have also a high level of TSH: "the “euthyroid sick.” There is usually something else about to happen, so many docs will treat them presumptively with (low) replacement doses of thyroid.

You are normal. If you substitute your native replacement doses, what does this accomplish? There is no upside. It only puts you at risk for chronic overdosage, and its consequences. And no one–no one–can predict the safety of withdrawal of thyroid replacement and restoration to normal function.

Short story: don’t fix what ain’t broke.

Ok, thanks. I’m going to keep reading because there seem to be some docs who believe that tsh over 2 or 3 with normal t3 and t4 indicates subclinical hypo, if symptoms are present (with me they are…), but I appreciate you taking the time to respond and will definitely keep what you said in mind.