T Nation

Thyroid... T3/T4

Hey guys,

It has been a long time since i have been on here, nice to come back. I have a friend with Hashimotos thyroiditis who is taking synthetic thyroid replacement t3/t4. Now, i know t3 is metabollically active in most if not all of our bodies tissues. But what other hormones work synergistically along with thyroid hormones (for a woman)?

I ask because this person is overweight... Thinking she should up her thyroid dose minimally...

Well, as you probably know, its not about the Pharma, but the diet and the training.. But im sure youre friend is aware of that.
To return to the subject, i personally have good experiences and my buddies have also, with stacking T3 with Clenbuterol.

T3, with clen is good
T3 alone with a mild test cycle is good as well
T4 does not do as well as T3, never tried the T3/t4 combo

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

OP - apologies for the hijack

Bushy - do you know anything about Hyperthyroidism?

Cortisol seems to be a big player for those taking T3/T4 thyroid meds (or no thyroid meds at all). It has been my experience that those with lowish 8 am cortisol values (in the lower 50% of the range) tend to suffer hypothyroid symptoms. Even if T3/T4 look decent, TSH is sometimes still screaming for more. This is usually accompanied by higher Reverse T3 (RT3) issues, which is basically pooling of T4 hormones that are not able to convert to T3 (which are the metabolically active forms).

So if your friend is not seeing expected results despite being on thyroid meds, cortisol testing is probably warranted. I've seen people correct high RT3 issues with a combination of lower dose Cortef hydrocortisone (20 mg/day in divided doses) and T3 only meds (dessicated thyroid). Some may be able to benefit from switching to dessicated thyroid alone with the added cortisol support. Blood testing would give the proper treatment path.

Note: I do not advocate doing this method alone, though it oculd technically be done using research chems and Isocort in place of hydrocortisone. I would never do it without my doctor's knowledge.

Other hormones and bloodwork that seem to be strongly correlated with thyroid are Vitamin D, iron, ferritin, and iodine.

Bit of a loaded question donchathink?

hopefully I can state a full answer without the page refreshing and giving me some server 500 error crap.

like I was saying
T3 and clen is good
T3 and clen on mild test is good
t3/t4 combo not as effective

this however is with a healthy person, if someone is prescribed t3/t4 combo or any thyroid hormones for a bad thyroid,it is because of the thyroid not working correctly and there is nothing you can do except for supplement what they do not have

I do not think you should add anything else or up the thyroid dose at all with an overweight patient, they should go in and get blood work done and adjust based on the results

Thanks man, maybe will try and remove the wheat from the diet...

Only have 2 slices of bread a day, pizza and pasta once a week but will give your advice a try - no point asking if I don't!

Sugar - have about 1tsp a day, but will just switch to green tea and drop that. Probably loads in ice cream but will drop that due to the dairy.

Thanks again mate, would you classify whey and casesin in the dairy boat?

Will grab some NAC this week

Thanks guys. This discussion was productive and appreciated!

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:

[quote]plateau wrote:

Not that much - never worked with a patient who had it - so can only repeat what the books (or wiki, lol) say.

However it is (in some cases) also a disease of inflammation. Hashimotos patients sometimes experience bouts of hyperthroid, even though the condition is more associated with long term hypothyroid, not hyper.

BBB[/quote]

Thanks man, maybe will try and remove the wheat from the diet…[/quote]

And dairy and sugar. At least try it for 6 weeks.

Also, supplementation with NAC would be good, to help the body manufacture glutathione which will mop up the radicals that are a part of inflammation.

BBB[/quote]

What is NAC?

[quote]Tash-Yo wrote:

[quote]plateau wrote:

Not that much - never worked with a patient who had it - so can only repeat what the books (or wiki, lol) say.

However it is (in some cases) also a disease of inflammation. Hashimotos patients sometimes experience bouts of hyperthroid, even though the condition is more associated with long term hypothyroid, not hyper.

BBB[/quote]

Thanks man, maybe will try and remove the wheat from the diet…[/quote]

And dairy and sugar. At least try it for 6 weeks.

Also, supplementation with NAC would be good, to help the body manufacture glutathione which will mop up the radicals that are a part of inflammation.

BBB[/quote]

What is NAC?
[/quote]

N-acetyl Cysteine