Thyroid - Iodine and Sucralose/Protein Powders

I am being tested for an under active thyroid and low T.

I drink 2 scoops of protein per day that contain Sucralose.

I have read the sticky here on thyroid problems and iodine, and also noticed that artificial sweeteners can block the absorption of iodine…

Could this be a potential link?

thanks

Probably not.

https://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_training_performance_bodybuilding_trt/trt_at_22_could_diet_be_the_underlying_issue_?pageNo=0#6140570

Thanks.

Can I use an ear digital thermometer instead of oral?

[quote]KSman wrote:
Probably not.

https://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_training_performance_bodybuilding_trt/trt_at_22_could_diet_be_the_underlying_issue_?pageNo=0#6140570

[/quote]

I have taken morning temp and its 95.5F or 35C, similar to my evening temp last night!

Going to try and pick up some iodine today to see if it’s related to that or something else… Weird how my GP never picked up a thyroid problem, not sure what he was testing though but he did say thyroid was tested. Had a full panel done last week with endorcrineologist so get those results 3rd dec. I’ll see how the iodine goes till then?

I don’t know if ear thermo is going to do what is needed. We are looking for small differences VS 98.6, different from simply detecting a fever.

[quote]KSman wrote:
I don’t know if ear thermo is going to do what is needed. We are looking for small differences VS 98.6, different from simply detecting a fever.[/quote]

The above temps were taken with oral thermometer.
I have only managed to get kelp tabs from the pharmacy. Not sure if that will be sufficient, bought selenium as well.
If your thyroid issue is from auto immune disease iv read iodine supplementation can make that worse, so guess without having an iodine deficiency test it’s going to be hard to know what to do? Thanks

Selenium is needed for enzyme[s] that clean up free radical byproducts that are a normal part of thyroid production of thyroid hormones. If one is iodine deficient, one is prone to damage that the immune system misinterprets and you get an auto-immune response/disease. So the cause is lack of selenium and introducing normal or high levels of iodine is the trigger, but not the cause. I have placed a link in the thyroid basics sticky that go to an article that is very detailed. You might get brain damage trying to read it! :wink:

[quote]KSman wrote:
Selenium is needed for enzyme[s] that clean up free radical byproducts that are a normal part of thyroid production of thyroid hormones. If one is iodine deficient, one is prone to damage that the immune system misinterprets and you get an auto-immune response/disease. So the cause is lack of selenium and introducing normal or high levels of iodine is the trigger, but not the cause. I have placed a link in the thyroid basics sticky that go to an article that is very detailed. You might get brain damage trying to read it! ;)[/quote]

Thanks, iv opened the link but have yet to start digesting all of that haha!

Tbh from all the research I’m doing I think its going to end up either related to my head accident or adrenal fatigue.

Whats your view on inflammation from training and adrenal fatigue?
I ask because I’m keen to train and strength is increasing which aren’t signs of overtraining which is why i wonder if its muscle inflammation causing the distress…

Still waiting for full bloods which will hopefully tell a bigger picture.

All I have to go on in the meantime is

Temp average 95*C
Test 6-8
TSH 3
T4 16.5

Intense training will not much recovery time may be very OK for guys who are otherwise healthy and vital. But may be too much on top of other issues. So heavy training may not be a total cause, but might be a big use on top of other problems. I am often amazed at how some young guys are pushing themselves very hard when they have thyroid and T problems. I guess that some simply have an ability to push through conditions that are disabling for others… but if they crash hard, it may be more severe.

If muscles really hurt, that is too much. But you should feel your muscles after a decent workout.

Ranges for that data?

[quote]KSman wrote:
Intense training will not much recovery time may be very OK for guys who are otherwise healthy and vital. But may be too much on top of other issues. So heavy training may not be a total cause, but might be a big use on top of other problems. I am often amazed at how some young guys are pushing themselves very hard when they have thyroid and T problems. I guess that some simply have an ability to push through conditions that are disabling for others… but if they crash hard, it may be more severe.

If muscles really hurt, that is too much. But you should feel your muscles after a decent workout.

Ranges for that data?
[/quote]

TSH 3mIU/L (0.2-5.5)
Serum total protein - 72 g/L
T4 16.3 pmol/L
Serum cortisol 616 nmol/L (early morning 170-540)

These are the only bloods I currently have, however my endo has got latest full bloods back and iv asked her to email them me before the consultation next week.
Her notes said - Thyroid is fine but test is low so will need medicating

Im worried shes very keen for TRT and I want to try and fix this naturally… could you help me prepare for my consultation.
Here are my current thoughts.

1. What is the cause of my low test - if not primary, would a clomid/hcg restart not be worthwhile before going down TRT route?
  2. She said thryoid is fine, however my temps are very low… Even if this is not lowering my test id like to have some questions to ask her to further enlighten this issue, any pointers? I know auto immune disease/ Iodine/ Adrenal fatigue.
  3. If its not primary, what indicators should I be looking out for in bloods? low t3? low LH? (SGHB? protein that is test related?) E2? (high e2 could mean less test turning free test?)

Thanks

Want to be as prepared and educated as possible for next weeks consultation, iv asked to have my bloods emailed to me and her P/A said she was asking her if its okay to send me them…

Am I also right in thinking if im making ‘some test’ at the moment its unlikely im primary!?

Im really hoping a Clomid/HCT restart will work over TRT… Obviously I dont have bloods back till wednesday to see if its primary/secondary.

I have had my blood results back

Free t4 -15.99 (12-22)
TSH 2.90 (0.270-4.200
FSH 2.3
LH 2.1
Prolactin 157

Test - 5.7 (7.6-31.0)
Vit D 158

Synachthen test (adrenals) was good.

She wants to put me on TRT and discounted my body temps and said my thyroid was fine, she also said its due to a bad head accident when I was younger and restart is pointless (I expressed I have done a PH cycle and she said that wouldn’t of cause the problem)

Any opinions?
Thanks

Need fT3 and perhaps rT3

If temperatures are low, not enough fT3 is getting into the cells to regulate mitochondrial activity and thus ATP.