T Nation

Thyroid Deficiency

Hoping for some insight into my current Thyroid situation. I’m 33 years old and have been on TRT for 4 years (Different regiments consisting of Test Cyp, Cream, and HCG). I’ve had my thyroid levels checked three times during routine labs over the past 15 months, all of which have returned similar results to the lab results below. One doctor advised that I need not worry about these levels as I’m fine, and the other is suggesting Armour Thyroid for treatment.

Should these labs be of concern regarding the thyroid?

Thyrotropin – 1.83 (Ref Range .45-4.5)

Triiodothyronine Free – 2.8 (Ref Range 2.0-4.4)

Thyroxine Free - .87 ( Ref Range .82 – 1.77)

Symptoms?

If you have symptoms of hypothyroidism, your labs would support a dx of subclinical hypothyroidism.

I find that libido is stagnant, I do get tired easily give optimal T levels, and my weight will fluctuate quickly with diet and heavy exercise. Any specific symptoms I should be cognizant of?

Weight gain, low energy, dry skin and hair, brain fog are the most common.

I think a trial of Armour or just Levothyroxine would be worthwhile. You might have symptoms you never really knew you had.

Mentioned above. Most notable is almost crushing fatigue, like sleeping eight hours and waking up tired, wanting to take naps every day. Another is sensitivity to cold. Everyone in the room is warm, and you have a jacket on.

The fatigue aspect is strikingly familiar - I get tired very easily, almost always take naps. The brain fog is a familiar foe as well. Thanks for the info. I’ll keep you posted on treatment and how it goes.

The low-T might be a symptom caused by something else, if this is the case you are trying to go around something and that’s one of the reason why some men don’t fully recover on TRT and have unresolved issues.

Your thyroid requires adequate levels of iron to function optimally (ferritin 70+), if low than this could significantly reduce T4 to T3 conversion.

Regarding the iron deficiency, should I have labs done>?