Thyroid Blood Test Interpretation

Hello everyone

Bit of background info. My grandma and aunt have thyroid problems and i’ve been tested as well for the last few years. The TSH, FT3 & FT4 were most of the time between reference numbers but always on the upper end. I’m not on PED’s and generally quite active 23 yrs old male.

Today i had my blood results again and the doc said it’s ok for now but i still can’t interpret it.

All the TSH, FT3 & FT4 look ok but not great. The doc also said my gland is slightly enlarged and have an irregular shape (ultrasound images) and will check in 3-4 months again.

I know these hormones play a huge role in general metabolism, loosing fat, energy levels and want help to pull them back naturally, to optimal levels. Any advice?

fT3 and fT4 are good at middle or range.

TSH should be closer to 1.0
TSH=3.67 is a problem

Are you iodine deficient?
Using iodized salt or iodine+selenium in your vitamins?
Iodine deficiency often affects others in the same house.

The best measure of your overall thyroid function is oral body temperature:

• when you first wake up, should be 97…7-97.8F, higher is OK, 93.7 is a problem
  • also check for 98.6F/37C mid-afternoon

Is your thyroid sore, enlarged, asymmetrical or lumpy?
Dry skin?
Thinning hair [not male pattern baldness]?
Feel cold easily?
Outer eyebrows sparse?
Low energy?
Depression?

What country are you in?
How is iodine supplied there? Salt, bread, dairy?

Your fT3 should support good body temperatures.
If temperatures are low, then rT3 may be elevated and blocking fT3

See the thyroid basics sticky for more info.

Hey KSman

I might be very well iodine deficient, never payed attention and we use natural sea salt at home which is low in terms. But interestingly the doctor told to reduce iodine and seafood intake, exactly opposite what you said?

I’ll check my body temperature but i don’t feel cold usually. I have none of the symptoms you mentioned but the doc said it is enlarged and assymetrical (irregular shaped ?)

I did check your sticky as well, thanks a lot, eternally grateful.