Thyroid Basics Explained

Ksman couldn’t answer this cause apparently he has said all he needs to say about iodine… soooo anyone who has the time to answer this it would be greatly appreciated… if one drop of liquid iodine contains 312 mcg how many drops would be safe for IR? Thank you

Posted in my thread also -

Started Iodoral last Monday, in doses of 12.5mg per day. Normally in the morning, felt OFF the first two/three days. Last few days my neck feels little swollen with feeling of sore throat although I don’t have one. Can feel some tightness in neck area up threw back of ears. It doesn’t hurt just more irritating. Also have some bloating. Is this normal? And my BP remains 135/95 ish during the last week.

[quote]iw84aces wrote:
Ksman couldn’t answer this cause apparently he has said all he needs to say about iodine… soooo anyone who has the time to answer this it would be greatly appreciated… if one drop of liquid iodine contains 312 mcg how many drops would be safe for IR? Thank you [/quote]

It depends… From my understanding after doing a lot of research and currently doing IR myself, you first need to make sure you don’t have hashimotos. Don’t just assume you don’t have it. Supposedly about 80% of low thyroid cases are hashimotos (auto immune). You should also know that you don’t have adrenal problems. Thyroid and adrenals and very closely related with each other. If you have adrenal problems you need to treat that first.

There’s lab work you can do to find out about hashimotos and there’s a couple tests you can do yourself to check for adrenal fatigue.

If you know you don’t have either of those problems then I would prob start with 2 drops a day at that dosage. Measure you body temp everyday (I measure 3 times a day) and track it and if it’s going up that’s good. I’d probably up the dosage 2 more drops every 3-5 days (so 2,4,6,etc…)

If you get those other things checked and know that your ready to start IR and have other questions I’d be happy to try to answer them. I’m no expert but I did do a lot of research…

[quote]txrunner22 wrote:
Posted in my thread also -

Started Iodoral last Monday, in doses of 12.5mg per day. Normally in the morning, felt OFF the first two/three days. Last few days my neck feels little swollen with feeling of sore throat although I don’t have one. Can feel some tightness in neck area up threw back of ears. It doesn’t hurt just more irritating. Also have some bloating. Is this normal? And my BP remains 135/95 ish during the last week.[/quote]

Not sure about the throat thing(I think that your thyroid gland swells up if you have really bad hypothyroid). I felt worse some days in the begging too.

A lot of times when people feel worse. It’s because the iodine is pulling out toxins and your body is dealing with that. So usually the iodine isn’t causing bad side effects, it’s the toxins (mainly bromide, and also mercury and fluoride).

You should be taking selenium, Magnesium and Vit C with it and that should help with the bad side effects. I was getting some brutal frontal headaches and then started taking a lot of VIT C throughout the day and that got rid of it. If I go too long through the day without taking my second dose of Vit C then the headaches will start again.

Do some research on the net about the throat bothering you…

[quote]jonmb11 wrote:

It depends… From my understanding after doing a lot of research and currently doing IR myself, you first need to make sure you don’t have hashimotos. Don’t just assume you don’t have it. Supposedly about 80% of low thyroid cases are hashimotos (auto immune). You should also know that you don’t have adrenal problems. Thyroid and adrenals and very closely related with each other. If you have adrenal problems you need to treat that first.
[/quote]

80%? we certainly know that that is not true for the population of guys we work with here.

What does “low thyroid cases” mean? People diagnosed with clinical hypothyroidism? We are mostly dealing with guys who are subclincal. And note that there are guys with great thyroid hormone levels, but have low body temps, functional hypothyroidism because they have rT3 from adrenal fatigue blocking their fT3. For may docs, if your TSH is less than 4.5 or 5.5, you do not have a problem. Docs are into disease management and do not know what to do until they can give you a disease status. We are seeking optimal health.

Be careful what you say and imply. Things out of context are misleading.

[quote]KSman wrote:

[quote]jonmb11 wrote:

[/quote]

80%? we certainly know that that is not true for the population of guys we work with here.

What does “low thyroid cases” mean? People diagnosed with clinical hypothyroidism? We are mostly dealing with guys who are subclincal. And note that there are guys with great thyroid hormone levels, but have low body temps, functional hypothyroidism because they have rT3 from adrenal fatigue blocking their fT3. For may docs, if your TSH is less than 4.5 or 5.5, you do not have a problem. Docs are into disease management and do not know what to do until they can give you a disease status. We are seeking optimal health.

Be careful what you say and imply. Things out of context are misleading.[/quote]

He was answering my question, which you wouldn’t answer!! Actually what he is reading and saying is the same info i have read about hashimotos this is why the whole iodine thing scared me and why i had questions!!! if the number is 80 percent or not is not relevant… What he is saying is to lean on the side of caution when adding a high dose of something you are not familiar with… I think to tell everyone who has low body temps to hop on IR may be a bit bogus also and maybe it’s not for everyone!! I do think maybe what you have done has worked for you and maybe it works for others and thats great!! point is we are all different and we could all stand to learn from one another including you who says no research is needed on a drug and people should just listen and start injecting twice a week… You have to understand this is the internet and how do I know who you are or if what you are saying is correct? I posted my labs took my temps everyday and waited weeks for a reply and then finally you reply with a quick response and run to the next page not even answering any of my questions… Don’t get me wrong I am all about bro knowledge but why is your experience all that matters?? All he said was be careful and rule out possibilities and i see nothing at all wrong with that as it totally makes sense!! johnmb11 thank you for the reply :slight_smile: for me it was helpful and i appreciate it!! Ksman no offense intended and I appreciate what you try and do here and i see people respect you but your opinion is not the only one and we are all here to learn including you i would think… Have a great day both of you!!

I have made recommendations and suggestions and you appeared to be wanting me to repeat myself. If you want to do IR, the suggested total mg amounts are there.

Hashimoto’s seems to be a genetic tendency. Those of them who are iodine deficient may be delaying the development of the disease and they can suffer hypothyroid symptoms and worse while being iodine deficient. So pick your poison. What is a normal iodine intake? A level that avoids clinical hypothyroidism and the subclinical problems that see see so often here. And when you see reports of Hashimoto’s increasing in a population that has has iodized salt introduced, you are seeing what the they find when the do lab sampling of the population. If you went into a population that did not have iodized salt and did lab sampling there, you would also find undiagnosed cases of Hashimoto’s there as well.

Is iodine deficiency recommended to prevent Hashimoto’s?

If you want to get tested for Hashimoto’s, no problem.

[quote]KSman wrote:
I have made recommendations and suggestions and you appeared to be wanting me to repeat myself. If you want to do IR, the suggested total mg amounts are there.

Hashimoto’s seems to be a genetic tendency. Those of them who are iodine deficient may be delaying the development of the disease and they can suffer hypothyroid symptoms and worse while being iodine deficient. So pick your poison. What is a normal iodine intake? A level that avoids clinical hypothyroidism and the subclinical problems that see see so often here. And when you see reports of Hashimoto’s increasing in a population that has has iodized salt introduced, you are seeing what the they find when the do lab sampling of the population. If you went into a population that did not have iodized salt and did lab sampling there, you would also find undiagnosed cases of Hashimoto’s there as well.

Is iodine deficiency recommended to prevent Hashimoto’s?[/quote]

actually read my questions… you did not answer them nor repeat yourself…
took 2 drops of iodine today which is 624 mcg and my temp is at 98.1 on the digital and 98.6 on the glass… hasnt gotten over 97.6 in weeks… weird

[quote]KSman wrote:

[quote]jonmb11 wrote:

[/quote]

Be careful what you say and imply. Things out of context are misleading.[/quote]

First of all thanks for making this thread.

Don’t know why you’re telling me to be careful with what I say though…

I WAS careful with what I said. That is why I started off saying ‘From my understanding’ and ended with ‘I’m no expert, but I did do a lot of research.’ He asked for help from anyone, so I offered my advice and told him what I would do.

Also, It wasn’t like I told him to do anything dangerous. I basically advised him to err on the side of caution.

I have a book right in front of me that says ‘If you happen to be positive for Hashimoto’s disease, then it’s imperative that you avoid iodine supplementation altogther.’ It also says ‘80 percent or more of cases of low-functinoing thyroid are autoimmune related in nature.’ They are both in bold in the book, so they must be pretty important.

It seems like you are treating the testing of Hashimoto’s as an afterthought.

Could it be possible that you should take your own advice and ‘Be careful with what you say’?

I am not trying to get into an argument or anything. I was just trying to help someone who asked for it. I just think it was pretty silly of you to tell me to be careful with what I said.

Anyway, you seem to have much more experience with this type of thing than me so I could be completely wrong. I am just writing what I have read as I stated earlier.

Thanks again for all your help with this and making this thread. I appreciate it and I’m sure a lot of other people do to.

When a doc talks about “cases” he is referring to clinical hypothyroidism, not subclincal or basic iodine deficiencies. And most medical data that docs have available as references will not be up to date with the shift towards less use of iodized sale and the removal of iodine from bread.

Things are not as simple as you think.

[quote]KSman wrote:
When a doc talks about “cases” he is referring to clinical hypothyroidism, not subclincal or basic iodine deficiencies. And most medical data that docs have available as references will not be up to date with the shift towards less use of iodized sale and the removal of iodine from bread.

Things are not as simple as you think.[/quote]

That makes sense… Thanks for the reply. I just reread your whole post and had a few questions that I didn’t see addressed in there. I’d appreciate your opinion on these if you have the time.

1. What if morning temperature before rising is lower than 97.8 but throughout the day temperature gets above 98.6? I have been checking with an electronic thermometer under tongue before I get out of bed and ignore the beep and just leave it in my mouth for 10 mins.

2. Would it concern you if throughout the day my temp was getting above 98.6? Before rising temps have lately been in between 97.1 and 97.7 but have never gotten to 97.8 or above but throughout the day temp has gotten up to 99 a few times and a couple days ago got all the way up to 99.5 (4pm), morning temp next day was 97.5 then with 2 more temp checks throughout the day got to 98.7 and 98.8 (I cut Iodine amount in half on this day.)

Today was 97.6 before rising and at 11:15AM was 98.6 with no idoine supp taken today for the first day in about a month.

Basically I’m wondering what is more important - The before rising temp being 97.8 or above or that your temp eventually gets to 98.6 (and not higher?).

1. So do you not believe it is important to check for hashimotos before supp with Iodine?

2. Do you suggest taking breaks (I have definitely had some detox symptoms but have been managing them with lots of VIT C along with b-vit comp, magnesium, selenium, and sometimes tyrosine.) and have do you have an opinion on salt loading to flush out the toxins?

link about salt loading - Natural Thyroid Choices - Salt Loading Protocol / Adrenal Support

Thanks a lot man. Really appreciate it.

Edit - Sorry, One more question - Do you advise splitting up the dosage? I usually do one dosage as soon as I get up then another in the afternoon.

[quote]…
took 2 drops of iodine today which is 624 mcg and my temp is at 98.1 on the digital and 98.6 on the glass… hasnt gotten over 97.6 in weeks… weird
[/quote]

Isn’t 624mcg = .6mg and the recommended IR dosage is 50mg ?

[quote]Wishihad wrote:

[quote]…
[/quote]

Isn’t 624mcg = .6mg and the recommended IR dosage is 50mg ? [/quote]

Actually 1000 mcg = 1 mg
The reason the question was posted is because my liquid iodine the only stuff i could find around here is 312 mcg per drop and to be honest i am scared to swallow a quarter bottle of this shit lol

[quote]iw84aces wrote:

[quote]Wishihad wrote:

[quote]…
[/quote]

Actually 1000 mcg = 1 mg
The reason the question was posted is because my liquid iodine the only stuff i could find around here is 312 mcg per drop and to be honest i am scared to swallow a quarter bottle of this shit lol[/quote]

Just trying to help out, and make sure you were dosing correctly.

And we are both correct:
1000mcg = 1mg
and
624mcg = .624 mg

Either way you are only taking a small fraction of the recommended 50 mg per day.
Seems like a lot to me too, but have confirmed that on a few sites other sources.
Also it’s on the Internet so it “must be true!” :wink:

[quote]Wishihad wrote:

[quote]iw84aces wrote:

[quote]Wishihad wrote:

[quote]…
[/quote]

Actually 1000 mcg = 1 mg
The reason the question was posted is because my liquid iodine the only stuff i could find around here is 312 mcg per drop and to be honest i am scared to swallow a quarter bottle of this shit lol[/quote]

Just trying to help out, and make sure you were dosing correctly.

And we are both correct:
1000mcg = 1mg
and
624mcg = .624 mg

Either way you are only taking a small fraction of the recommended 50 mg per day.
Seems like a lot to me too, but have confirmed that on a few sites other sources.
Also it’s on the Internet so it “must be true!” :wink:
[/quote]

lol :slight_smile: yes i didn’t see your . in your .6 Thanks for the reply… waiting for my thyroid blood tests before I start IR just just supplementing i guess.

[quote]jonmb11 wrote:

1. What if morning temperature before rising is lower than 97.8 but throughout the day temperature gets above 98.6? I have been checking with an electronic thermometer under tongue before I get out of bed and ignore the beep and just leave it in my mouth for 10 mins.
  • Fast acting electronic thermometers look at the curve of temperature response and predict a answer. So when in this mode, waiting longer is probably not doing anything. A slow acting thermometer waits until the reading is no longer changing. A fast acting thermometer may enter slow mode if you take a temperature, then reset and measure again, not allowing the sensor to cool. Then the response curve is slow little [or non] that the unit has to change modes and it may take a while to get a measurement complete beep. Note that introducing a cold thermometer changes the temperature of the local tissues, thus introducing an error. In theory, software could compensate for that error. If over 96.6, may be measurement error, or you are overheated. In either case, one can assume that one then does not have a functional case of hypo. Actually, I thought that the morning criteria was 97.7, so you are introducing new findings or introducing something misleading?
  1. Would it concern you if throughout the day my temp was getting above 98.6? Before rising temps have lately been in between 97.1 and 97.7 but have never gotten to 97.8 or above but throughout the day temp has gotten up to 99 a few times and a couple days ago got all the way up to 99.5 (4pm), morning temp next day was 97.5 then with 2 more temp checks throughout the day got to 98.7 and 98.8 (I cut Iodine amount in half on this day.)

Today was 97.6 before rising and at 11:15AM was 98.6 with no idoine supp taken today for the first day in about a month.

Basically I’m wondering what is more important - The before rising temp being 97.8 or above or that your temp eventually gets to 98.6 (and not higher?).

• All of this is out of context of your symptoms, labs, prior labs and IR history. I get over heated if a room is too warm. Literature suggests that IR can create some transient effects and those may be at play. If IR is needed, then do it. Normalized temperatures are an indication that targeted benefits are achieved, all also within the context of how you feel etc. The temperature change is an expected outcome and its good to see that happen.
  1. So do you not believe it is important to check for hashimotos before supp with Iodine?
  • Most in many countries are now iodine deficient
  • Most do not have Hashimoto’s
  • So are you suggesting that we should then do Hashimoto’s related lab work on most of the population before they improve their iodine status
  • Or we institute iodine deficiency to avoid or delay the manifestations of Hashimoto’s in the few who have that genetic tendacy
  • How about a warning on iodized salt that states that if they have not been using iodized salt, that there are risks to no longer been iodine deficient.
  • Note that my suggestions are more conservative than others. After IR, I suggest a low maintenance amount. Others suggest 1mg ED forever.
  • Does Hashimoto’s happen fast or slow. Perhaps a episodic two week IR is less of a concern than higher amounts of iodine that are chronic.
  1. Do you suggest taking breaks (I have definitely had some detox symptoms but have been managing them with lots of VIT C along with b-vit comp, magnesium, selenium, and sometimes tyrosine.) and have do you have an opinion on salt loading to flush out the toxins?

link about salt loading - Natural Thyroid Choices - Salt Loading Protocol / Adrenal Support

• I have not looked at salt loading. I like sale and I assume that I am getting enough for any imaginable requirement. Some who use little or no salt may benefit from salt loading.
  • A two week IR does allow one to be able to notice changes, which is good. Are there more optimal ways to deliver IR? Probably, but no data. One could avoid some gut disturbances. But perhaps bromine excretion needs a solid kick in the butt from short duration intense deliver. There are so many variables and unknowns, that it is hard to make generalizations. In the end, that advantages of one VS the other are not going to be known.

Thanks a lot man. Really appreciate it.

• ;}

Edit - Sorry, One more question - Do you advise splitting up the dosage? I usually do one dosage as soon as I get up then another in the afternoon.

• There will be less of a iodine serum spike and perhaps greater iodine intake. But many will simply be interested in taking iodine once a day. Your suggestions makes sense for those so inclined. Again, there will not be any definable differences in the end.
    [/quote]
1 Like

[quote]KSman wrote:
jonmb11 wrote:

• Fast acting electronic thermometers look at the curve of temperature response and predict a answer. So when in this mode, waiting longer is probably not doing anything. A slow acting thermometer waits until the reading is no longer changing. A fast acting thermometer may enter slow mode if you take a temperature, then reset and measure again, not allowing the sensor to cool. Then the response curve is slow little [or non] that the unit has to change modes and it may take a while to get a measurement complete beep. Note that introducing a cold thermometer changes the temperature of the local tissues, thus introducing an error. In theory, software could compensate for that error. If over 96.6, may be measurement error, or you are overheated. In either case, one can assume that one then does not have a functional case of hypo. Actually, I thought that the morning criteria was 97.7, so you are introducing new findings or introducing something misleading?[/quote]

Thanks a lot for your detailed response KSman!

First of all, to be fair, I have now read from a few sources that taking Iodine when having Hashimotos IS OK. One was actually a video from Dr. David Brownstein (the author of Iodine: why you need it, why you can’t live without it). There seems to be a ton of conflicting info out there.

If my Thermometer beeps but I can see it’s still going up do you still not think it would be giving an accurate reading? Any particular Therm you’d suggest? I was going to order a new one from amazon.

Wasn’t trying to suggest anything. Just wanted to get your opinion.

Well I’ve read that just using salt on your food doesn’t work the same way and it must be taken with water (1/4tsp - 1/2 tsp with warm water followed by 12 oz of straight water and repeat every 30-45min til you start urinating, if I remember correctly). It’s supposed to be for dealing with the side effects of the detox. The chloride in the salt binds to the bromide and flushes it out. I haven’t tried it yet but if I start to get really bad sides then I will.

Seems like taking 1 dose would work well in conjunction with the salt loading protocol to really jack up the blood levels of iodine which would also cause a dramatic rise in bromide blood levels (if I’m understanding things correctly) to really help get all of that bad shit out of there (detox). Almost seems like it’s benificial long term to get some sides (as long as you can manage them) cause that let’s you know that your really detoxing. Would you agree?

Also, I started off using potassium iodide at a couple drops and worked up to 30 (3.375mg) and definitely had some side effects that I was somewhat managing with (vit C, Sel, etc…) and noticed a huge increase in energy but almost too much. Like I was on a stimulant. Recently switched to Lugols which has a combo of iodine/iodide (first at 6.25mg, next day at 12.5mg and today I’m gonna try 25mg) and the energy felt much more even and I had much less intense sides but my morning temperature has gone down a little along with my afternoon (but still got to 98.6, then 98.5 in afternoon). My theory is that since iodine and iodide get absorbed into different tissues, the straight iodide was just going to thyroid, which is the reason for the quicker raise in temp and worse sides as opposed to the iodine/iodide combo being distributed to other tissues as well and even at a much higher dose, not having as much as a noticeable impact. What do you think?

Thanks again man. And sorry if I stepped on your toes earlier.

Edit: Damn. Tried to use the quotes to distinguish your responses from mine but didn’t seem to work. You can see where I tried though, haha.

Double edit: Thought of one more question - So it is important to eventually achieve both a 97.7 upon rising AS WELL as 98.6 throughout the day (rising temp is just as important?), correct?

The info about morning temperatures had been on the WWW for long time. When I had ID and did IR, I came to realize that there were two distinct issues. One was how much one’s body cooled at night and the other was whether one could even get to 98.6 during the day. If one has both issues, that is a useful observation. The waking temperature is sort of arbitrary. There is nothing arbitrary about 98.6; that is a hard target.

As for what form of iodine does what and when during IR: I don’t really care. Its all water under the bridge in a few weeks.

Energy: This is hard to pin down. There are layers of influences on how one feels, like peeling an onion. Not the same for everyone. And these ‘early’ reports also involve transient percieved effects and long term is often less exciting. That is just the way that things are.

Salt loading: I guess that I can see that this might be useful in flushing out ones tissues if it involves a significant increase in water consumed and pissed out.

Thermo: When it beeps its done. See my points about how it can be in fast VS slow mode. The “predictive” modes involve assumptions and trade-offs. When one is detecting a fever, accuracy does not have to be great. We are looking for very small deviations from 98.6. We have to make do with the available tools.

I’ve actually been testing body temps twice at a time, because the first reading, even at the beep, can be 0.2-0.3 lower than the 2nd reading. So I report my 2nd readings, but that might just be my personal preference.

When you reset and test a second time and the thermo is still warm, does it take longer to get a reading? Part of the problem is that the coolness of the probe changes the temp of what it is measuring.