Thyroid Basics Explained

Thyroid levels affect every cell’s function as fT3 inside the cells regulates the mitochondria that produce the ATP, the universal currency of cellular energy. Subclinical hypothyroidism reduces metabolic rate, leading to fat gain and physical/mental weakness. I would expect negative consequences in most cases where muscle gain/maintenance are a concern.

However, I sometimes see cases where thyroid hormones are a mess and guys seem to keep functioning well. In those cases I am assuming that they are managing on sheer willpower and adrenalin. Nice to be able to do that but perhaps setting one’s self up for adrenal fatigue that then exposes the house of cards. This is all very complex, but one can easily see the overall picture.

When taking temperature orally, does a regular digital thermometer do the trick?

Like this one for instance: http://www.horseactive.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/d/i/digital_thermometer.jpg

Or do you specifically need those that are made of glass?

Most are using digital because there does not seem to be much else available.

So i’ve been taking 12.5 mg of Iodoral for the last 3 days and i’ve been supplementing with a multivitamin that has the RDA amount of selenium in it, body temperature has been a little bit lower than it was when I wasn’t on Iodine. I’m feeling a little bit worse… should I continue and is this typical (it might be bromine displacement)?

Another odd thing is my brother who i’m 14 months apart from hasn’t had any problem with his thyroid. We grew up eating the same food with the same salt, so I’m thinking it might not be an iodine deficiency but Hashimoto’s.

It’s been about 2 years since I did my first replenishment - I’m a 48 year old male on TRT - I’m in good shape and carry a bit of muscle mass. I switched back to iodized salt after my first replenishment round two years ago all was status quo. If anything my woman always loves how warm I am all the time.

About a week ago I started feeling cold during the day, I’d go to sleep cold and wake up soaked at 2am and have to change and spread a bath towel on the bed.

I remembered yesterday that this is what happened the first time. Just restarted my IR therapy last night. I would put money on it that in a few days I’ll feel great and like the furnace I’ve been for two years.

Just a reminder that you need to stay on top of your iodine. I’m just going to start doing IR once a year from here on out.

I visited an endo and asked him about IR and he gave an interesting response.

In short, he said that IR for those who actually have a hypothyroid condition or are in a hypothyroid state, may just mask the problems they do have and could make their thyroid even more lackluster after the increased stress put on it. For people with normal thyroids, it may give them subclinical hypothyroidism even with selenium supplementation. He didn’t address people who actually are iodine deficient.

The thing that peaked my interest though was when he said that he’s had several patients who did IR and actually ended up messing their thyroid up because of it. I’m inclined to believe that and may stop IR. The conflict of beliefs here and with him are driving me insane lol.

I was actually feeling better on IR. My brain fog was gone, I had a little more energy. Libido was still lowish but I was only doing it for a week.

So the treatment for iodine deficiency is less iodine?

We have many here who have resolved iodine deficiencies with [duh] iodine!

7 days in and I feel awesome again. No night sweats, warm as hell again. Roar.

[quote]KSman wrote:
So the treatment for iodine deficiency is less iodine?[/quote]

I’m not too sure if he addressed that properly, but what I think he was trying to say was, throwing iodine at the problem, if you deficient in it, can be a temporary fix, but somewhere down the road your problems will worsen, and you’ll have to get on medication sooner.

1 Like

KSman & happydog48, I have pored over your stickies on TRT, Thyroid, Estradiol, Advice, Injection Protocols, etc. and I have great respect for you and all that you give freely to this group. I have some heavy concerns and questions that I would be greatly appreciative if you would take a look at. Later today I will make a post entitled: "TRT(Bad Protocol?), Thyroid (iodine)?, Adrenals? "

Thanks to any and all who contribute their thoughts!

Best,
Midwest89

Been following this thread for a while, having some of the symptomps related to thyroid problems. Mainly energy deprived, cold hands and feet regardsless of ambient temperature and low metabolism. Anyway I monitored my bodytemperatures during the last 16 days.

Morning temperature average: 97,0. Highest: 97,7. Lowest: 95,7.
Afternoon temperature average: 97,1. Highest: 97,9. Lowest: 95,7

So basically my morning temp. is what KSman defines as a problem, and the afternoon temps. almost doesn’t increase and is on some days even lower then measured morning temp.

I figure I’ll try IR and see how it goes. Any comments are greatly appreciated. Living in Denmark I’d have to order the IR from UK and get it shipped unfortunately.

You could start your own thread. I would like to follow your experiences.
You have not been using iodized salt?
Do you eat much seafood?
Don’t forget that your thyroid needs selenium to work safely.
Can you get labs for TSH, fT3, fT4?
Is your thyroid enlarged, asymmetric or lumpy?
Are your outer eyebrows sparse?

[quote]KSman wrote:
You could start your own thread. I would like to follow your experiences.
You have not been using iodized salt?
Do you eat much seafood?
Don’t forget that your thyroid needs selenium to work safely.
Can you get labs for TSH, fT3, fT4?
Is your thyroid enlarged, asymmetric or lumpy?
Are your outer eyebrows sparse?[/quote]

Cheers for the quick respons. I started my own thread here: Thyroid Issues - Testosterone Replacement - Forums - T Nation

[quote]KSman wrote:
Thyroid levels affect every cell’s function as fT3 inside the cells regulates the mitochondria that produce the ATP, the universal currency of cellular energy. Subclinical hypothyroidism reduces metabolic rate, leading to fat gain and physical/mental weakness. I would expect negative consequences in most cases where muscle gain/maintenance are a concern.

However, I sometimes see cases where thyroid hormones are a mess and guys seem to keep functioning well. In those cases I am assuming that they are managing on sheer willpower and adrenalin. Nice to be able to do that but perhaps setting one’s self up for adrenal fatigue that then exposes the house of cards. This is all very complex, but one can easily see the overall picture.[/quote]

I’m quite grateful I found this thread. I’ve been monitoring my oral temp upon waking for the past few days and it’s consistently around 96.3 and never reaches past 97.6 at any point throughout the day. Just ordered some nascent iodine as well as some selenium, which should arrive on Monday and I plan to continue monitoring my temp.

Do you still suggest 50 mg of iodine per day to start?

I’m also curious about the risk of iodine replenishment triggering a new auto-immune problem without selenium. If this occurs, what would one do and is it permanent?

If your guts tolerate 50mg, go with it, otherwise, find what you tolerate. Results will vary because we all have different gut flora and other variables.

I have seen that some have antibodies become an not issue with selenium. Its all about the inflammation when there is not enough selenium to support the needed enzymes. How this all plays out is an individual as ones immune system is. Some people have numerous anti-immune tenancies. I recently read a nice med paper that identified the progress from iodine deficiency, hypothyroidism, nodules then hyperthyroidism [which includes risk of cancer]. But the paper neglected the role of selenium. Have not seen the whole story told yet.

The selenium in a multi-vit is sufficient. Getting single nutrient/mineral supplements is very non-cost effective.

If this dosage is successful in returming a higher body temp. Whats the recommended maintenance dose?

I have often suggested 1/2 of a 12.5mg tablet once a week. So something in that range. If there is iodine in your multi-vit [with selenium] and you use iodized salt, that might be all that you need. There is a vast range of recommendations on the web. So no golden rules.

Do you have a specific preferred multivitamin

no