Thyroid Advice Please

Alright story time. About a year and a half ago I began feeling incredibly fatigued. Muscle weakness, and just always tired, dozing off at like 6PM on the couch. I was only 36, and couldn’t explain it. Well my testosterone was tested repeatedly and was at a range between 180 - 250 with the range being 240 - 1100.

So me and my doctor figured that was the issue. Well I was on cream, and then switched to injections. I’m not feeling any better. Still dealing with the fatigue, and muscle weakness. So I saw on these forums that the thyroid could be the culprit. Here is what I can tell you about my thyroid background

My dad, and one of my siblings are on hypothyroid medication, as was my grandmother, and some of my cousins. So a family history.

My TSH levels over the years have been:
12/14 2.71. 12/15 2.7. 6/16 3.12. 5/17 2.91. 1/18 3.23
Free T3 5/12 3.0 1/18 3.9 Range 2.5 - 3.9
Free T4 from 12/14 - 1/18 it’s always 0.8 Range 0.6 - 1.2

My body temperature a couple weeks ago upon waking was:

So I’m thinking that the body temp is low, and must be thyroid. But my recent body temp has come up.

Then last night before bed it was 96.6
then this morning 97.4

I do notice that the days it’s over 97 I feel worse. Like I’m coming down with something, or have a cold. So think maybe it’s my body trying to fight an infection or something. I’m really kinda confused because for one full week my temp was low, but now it’s more close to normal range I think…

Last doctor appointment from my 1/18 results said my Thyroid looked great… So any advice would be great. P.S. Over the last 4 years I have been under the range for anemia, and suspect I have magnesium deficiency based on symptoms, and risk factors (high stress, not a magnesium rich diet). Thank you!

Edit: Another thing I read that hypothyroidism can lower SHBG. My levels tested have been:
Range 10 - 57

Where are you located?

The thyroid lab ranges are bogus so doctors tell you that your are good. They have no idea of what thyroid function is.

Could your thyroid problem be a result of not using iodized salt? Same for family?
Iodine deficiency affects whole households.

You get cold easily?
Fatigue - yes
Weight gain?
Dry skin?
Sparse outer eyebrows?
General hair thinning?
Low libido on TRT?
Thyroid enlarged, lumpy?

Please post all available lab work in list format with ranges.

We also need to see your peak body temperatures mid-afternoon?

Increasing fT3 with low body temps strongly suggests elevated rT3 blocking fT3 at T3 receptors, caused by stress. See the thyroid basics sticky referring to these terms:
stress
fT3
rT3
adrenal fatigue
Wilson’s book

And as adrenals can be affected, stress elevated cortisol can transition to low cortisol as the adrenals give up. You need serum “AM Cortisol” lab work, done at 8AM or 1 hour after waking.
Thyroid regulates energy on a longer time scale, cortisol and adrenalin manage energy on a short term time scale.

Post your TRT protocol in mg’s, iu’s etc, not volumes with timing etc.
Also when were labs done relative to TRT dosing.

Were these done prior to TRT? LH/FSH, Prolactin

Inability to absorb transdermal T products is, drum roll, a symptom of low thyroid function.

With weak thyroid and/or adrenal function, TRT can make you feel worse by increasing/restoring metabolic demands that your body cannot support. If T is good, increasing thyroid function could expose an adrenal weak link.

The things that I have introduced above are over the head of almost all doctors. You need to read up and become actively involved in your hormone care. Passive does not work!

Please read the stickies found here: About the T Replacement Category - #2 by KSman

• advice for new guys - need more info about you
  • things that damage your hormones
  • protocol for injections
  • finding a TRT doc

Evaluate your overall thyroid function by checking oral body temperatures as per the thyroid basics sticky. Thyroid hormone fT3 is what gets the job done and it regulates mitochondrial activity, the source of ATP which is the universal currency of cellular energy. This is part of the body’s temperature control loop. This can get messed up if you are iodine deficient. In many countries, you need to be using iodized salt. Other countries add iodine to dairy or bread.

KSman is simply a regular member on this site. Nothing more other than highly active.

I can be a bit abrupt in my replies and recommendations. I have a lot of ground to cover as this forum has become much more active in the last two years. I can’t follow threads that go deep over time. You need to respond to all of my points and requests as soon as possible before you fall off of my radar. The worse problems are guys who ignore issues re Thyroid, body temperatures, history of iodized salt. Please do not piss people off saying that lab results are normal, we need lab number Aand ranges.

The value that you get out of this process and forum depends on your effort and performance. The bulk of your learning is reading/studying the suggested stickies.

Thank you for the quick, and detailed response. I’m doing to be new blood work soon and will update here. To answer a few of your questions.

I live in the United States
My temperature today at 4:00 P.M. was 97.4 (my house was 65 and don’t know if that kept my temp down?)
I do have dry skin that seems to target scalp, eyebrows, and around my chin, and under nose.
I used to be very lean, and starting about 5 years ago the weight came on, and has been difficult to lose.
Hair, and eyebrows are fine. Libido has always been good except when estrogen got too high from TRT.

4pm temperature may be too late in the day, upon waking 97.7 and 98.6 between 12-2pm. House temperature has nothing to do with your body temperature.