Thursday/Talk Shop With EC

Thanks for the feedback much appreciated!

The third day better that way?..

1-Jumping rope 2-32min (body core temperature)
2-Upper body range of motion movements
Control drills Scarecrow 2
5-15, 202, 0-30sec
Flutters 2*10-20, 202, 0-30sec

BTW-Flutter is a very limited range of motion row lying on the floor with arms bend 90 degree. Hope i am not too vague…

Side lying Ian King dumbbell elevation 25-15, 202, 0-30sec
Slow up/Slow down -(upper abs) 1-2
10, 515, 0-30sec
Russian twists in v-sit loaded -(rotation) 1-215-30, 202, 0-30sec
Bent-over row (MG/to the pecs)
5(40%), 14(70%), 311, 100sec
6 (up to)
28-10
15-2050%
Incline bench press (WG/to the mid pecs)
6 (up to)
Supported dumbbells row 14(50%), 36-10, 311, 2min
Single-arm protraction with dumbbell 14(50%), 38-10, 311, 2min
3-Post workout nutrition+static stretch

Thanks again for you help
adonail

Eric,
I have been religously following the workout on the Neanderthal 4 article. I have found it difficult to really get my glutes and hams to fire when doing the step ups and pull throughs
(any exercise really). I also have found myself having to really focus on coming through with my hips on deads. Is there something i should be doing in addition to this workout to correct this problem. Thanks, I have also read the Fixing the Flaws articles posted on CP’s site -good stuff.

[quote]violentvegan wrote:
I should have been more specific. I meant timed sets. Like holding a back extension for x amount of time as a test for likelihood for back injury, and as an exercise to improve low back stamina.
[/quote]

Oh, my bad. Liebenson has actually written about this in the past; if your lower back endurance is lacking, it’s a pretty strong indicator that you’re at increased risk of injury. In these individuals, isometric holds can be pretty valuable. Then again, isometrics can be valuable for almost anyone!

looks like my ass is sticking way out

haha… good thing I stuck with the whole rocket science thing instead of physiology…

[quote]adonail wrote:
Thanks for the feedback much appreciated!

The third day better that way?..

1-Jumping rope 2-32min (body core temperature)
2-Upper body range of motion movements
Control drills Scarecrow 2
5-15, 202, 0-30sec
Flutters 2*10-20, 202, 0-30sec

BTW-Flutter is a very limited range of motion row lying on the floor with arms bend 90 degree. Hope i am not too vague…

Side lying ian king dumbbell elevation 25-15, 202, 0-30sec
Slow up/Slow down -(upper abs) 1-2
10, 515, 0-30sec
Russian twists in v-sit loaded -(rotation) 1-215-30, 202, 0-30sec
Bent-over row (MG/to the pecs)
6 (up to)
28-10
15-2050%
Incline bench press (WG/to the mid pecs)
6 (up to)
Supported dumbbells row 14(50%), 36-10, 311, 2min
Single-arm protraction with dumbbell 14(50%), 38-10, 311, 2min
3-Post workout nutrition+static stretch

Thanks again for you help
adonail
[/quote]

Looks better.

[quote]Watts wrote:
Eric,
I have been religously following the workout on the Neanderthal 4 article. I have found it difficult to really get my glutes and hams to fire when doing the step ups and pull throughs
(any exercise really). I also have found myself having to really focus on coming through with my hips on deads. Is there something i should be doing in addition to this workout to correct this problem.[/quote]

Do some supine bridges before you start and focus on glute activation. Also, when you’re doing the step-ups, focus on pulling yourself up; it’ll help to lift the big toe up off the ground and drive off the heel. The same goes for pull-throughs: big toe up, fire the heels into the floor, and pop the hips forward so that you’re standing tall. Don’t even worry about what the knees are doing.

Thanks; glad you liked it!

[quote]CU AeroStallion wrote:
looks like my ass is sticking way out[/quote]

Anterior pelvic tilt. Try:

1. Glute activation (supine bridges are best)

2. Lots of stretching and foam rolling of the hip flexors

3. Bulgarian Split Squat Isometric Holds (EQIs)

4. Lots of trunk flexion work. Complement this with hip flexion work where you try to take the hip flexors out of the movement (think lower abs).

[quote]Eric Cressey wrote:
violentvegan wrote:
I should have been more specific. I meant timed sets. Like holding a back extension for x amount of time as a test for likelihood for back injury, and as an exercise to improve low back stamina.

Oh, my bad. Liebenson has actually written about this in the past; if your lower back endurance is lacking, it’s a pretty strong indicator that you’re at increased risk of injury. In these individuals, isometric holds can be pretty valuable. Then again, isometrics can be valuable for almost anyone![/quote]

I thinking of using an old work bench I have for doing reverse-hype isometrics. What do you think about doing 2 timed sets, twice per week, and working up to a minute before adding weight or bands?

Or would an iso band pull-thru be a better choice?

[quote]violentvegan wrote:
Eric Cressey wrote:
violentvegan wrote:

Oh, my bad. Liebenson has actually written about this in the past; if your lower back endurance is lacking, it’s a pretty strong indicator that you’re at increased risk of injury. In these individuals, isometric holds can be pretty valuable. Then again, isometrics can be valuable for almost anyone!

I thinking of using an old work bench I have for doing reverse-hype isometrics. What do you think about doing 2 timed sets, twice per week, and working up to a minute before adding weight or bands?

Or would an iso band pull-thru be a better choice?[/quote]

The reverse hypers are a good choice; we actually use them with our athletes in an isometric context.

i have this pelvic tilt, but everytime i hear the words Glute activation i cringe because my glutes are huge compared to my legs, I always get sore when doing full squats and sumo squats, damn my glutes even tightened up when i was doing hacksquats so i know they were firing away. with the 4th comment do you mean work the upper abdominals? all this flexion stuff is getting me confused. laters pk

Thanks EC.

[quote]pkradgreek wrote:
with the 4th comment do you mean work the upper abdominals? all this flexion stuff is getting me confused. laters pk[/quote]

Correct. Crunches/curl-ups, pulldown abs, etc.

CU AeroStallion wrote:
looks like my ass is sticking way out

Anterior pelvic tilt. Try:

1. Glute activation (supine bridges are best)[/quote]

self explanatory, read these back in NeanderNoMore

Tomorrow I find a roller!

at the bottom of the movement I’m guessing?

[quote]
4) Lots of trunk flexion work. Complement this with hip flexion work where you try to take the hip flexors out of the movement (think lower abs).[/quote]

This is slightly confusing. Would situps justify the means where the legs are bent minimally, so as to stay out of the 50-70 degree range to minimize hip flexor movement?

Thanks for the help EC

EC I have a wrist injury any sugestion how to to train with wrist pain ?

Not sure if you’ll see this, but I was wondering if you knew of any seminars or good training centers in the New England area. Basically, I’m interested in learning more about weight lifting, especially power & oly lifts. I’d also like to have some sort of postural analysis done. I’ve been lifting for several months and I feel like I’m getting a handle on the basics, but would love to learn more (and more, and more).

I’m just south of Boston and pretty clueless about who’s who in the coaching world and what’s available. Thanks!

[quote]CU AeroStallion wrote:
4) Lots of trunk flexion work. Complement this with hip flexion work where you try to take the hip flexors out of the movement (think lower abs).

This is slightly confusing. Would situps justify the means where the legs are bent minimally, so as to stay out of the 50-70 degree range to minimize hip flexor movement?

Thanks for the help EC[/quote]

Sorry about that!

No sit-ups needs. Regular ol’ crunches/curl-ups are great, as would be pulldown abs.

[quote]Uscumla Beograd wrote:
EC I have a wrist injury any sugestion how to to train with wrist pain ? [/quote]

UB,

I responded to your last inquiry; without knowing what’s wrong, I can’t really make any recommendations. If you can’t give me an exact diagnosis, at least let me know where the pain is, describe the nature of the pain, and list some things that aggravate it.

[quote]Jillybop wrote:
Not sure if you’ll see this, but I was wondering if you knew of any seminars or good training centers in the New England area. Basically, I’m interested in learning more about weight lifting, especially power & oly lifts. I’d also like to have some sort of postural analysis done. I’ve been lifting for several months and I feel like I’m getting a handle on the basics, but would love to learn more (and more, and more).

I’m just south of Boston and pretty clueless about who’s who in the coaching world and what’s available. Thanks!
[/quote]

No sweat. If you don’t mind making a trip a bit South, I’m in Connecticut (Storrs) and I’d be glad to help you out. This offer is extended to any T-Nation reader in the area; I’ve already trained with a few guys (or plan to do so) in the past month or so. Just bring some enthusiasm and we’re glad to help out.

Otherwise, you might consider looking into the Poliquin Performance Center - East. It’s up in Wilmington (North of Boston), and Art McDermott, Liane Blyn, and John Sullivan are all there - very good staff. Great facility, too; I’m actually headed up to watch a Strongman competition there today. You’d have to cross the Tobin and potentially deal with traffic, but it would be well worth the drive.

Uscumla Beograd wrote:
EC I have a wrist injury any sugestion how to to train with wrist pain ?

UB,

I responded to your last inquiry; without knowing what’s wrong, I can’t really make any recommendations. If you can’t give me an exact diagnosis, at least let me know where the pain is, describe the nature of the pain, and list some things that aggravate it.[/quote]

Sorry about that,but I have another question for you , what is better to BCAA or L-glutamine as anticatabilic ?
Maybe I can use both in same time , I read that combination is better than protein shake (better gains) ?