Throwing Up?

hi
Im 16, iv been training for about 2 years now and pride myself on working hard, and having a little knowedge because of this website. Recently i have come across a probablem.

The last 6 or so sessions, iv been working at the intensity that about halfway through the session I start to feel like im about to throwup. I was wondering what i should do about this because i want to continue working at a high level, and slowing down to prevent throwing up doesnt tie into that goal to well.

Any ideas, i only ask because i would consider throwing up an unatural act and therefor have been avoiding it, if im wrong about that give me some input…This all caught me by suprise because i havent been doing cardio at all…

thanks for any help!

how’s your diet? if it’s good(i doubt it is), then maybe you should slow it down. i have a friend that was having the same problem, his diet was shit, and he drank every night. eventually he stopped going because of it.

if your diet is in order, the occaisional train till u puke session is ok, but eventually u will get tired of it. and you’ll probably give up, also it might just be mental, the mind is a powerful thing. if you believe that you will throw up you probably will. mainly slow it down at first see if that works for you.

back off the intensity, it’s too much for you right now. a beginner shouldn’t be doing a routine that is so heavily intense.

edit that last post, you’re not a beginner, but you still need to back off the intensity a little till your body adjusts to the added effort.

tsb

nope–don’t believe it. Just looking for attention. 6 workouts in a row until you (almost) puke. Not sure if it’s natural. This site is not for you–move along

Go ahead and puke. That way you get your ab work out of the way…

But seriously, throwing up is something to avoid if at all possible. All it’s going to lead to is losing whatever protein and nutrients you had in your stomach.

If you’re training so hard that you have to consciously keep yourself from vomiting, you’re either doing a really badass program, or you’re doing something wrong (or, like the previous poster mentioned, you’re eating/drinking a lot of shit). As to which one it is, that can’t really be answered without knowing what it is you’re doing in the gym…

What is your pre-workout diet consist of? Unless you are cramming Big Macs right before you touch the bar, I don’t see how you could be throwing up every workout.

I’ve only done a few workouts that were so intense they made me vomit. One was during a visit to Jump Stretch Fitness and the session was coached by Dick Hartzell. A solid half hour of band squats…that man is a sadist. Certainly not a workout I could handle frequently.

I’ve thrown up other times, but those were due to drinking and general abuse of the body on prior nights or Krispy Kreme on the way to the gym. At your age you hopfully aren’t drinking at collegiate levels so this shouldn’t be an issue, especially if you are as serious about training as you profess to be. I’ve given up that crap and feel a hundred times better.

From what iv read here about diets, I think I have an ok diet. I rarley eat fastfood, get about 120 grams of protien from Grow! a day, im taking ZMA and occasionaly take Surge after hard workouts(because of price).

I recently got surgery on my shoulder so therefor am limited to bodyweight exercises, leg press and the glute ham machine at the school gym. I workout after school which is on advrage about two and a half hours after eating lunch which usualy consists of water and alot of protien(nuts, meat sandwich).

Were I have problems is at the end of my leg press unit. I do about 6 sets of 8 at 675 after 3 warmup sets. At the end of that is when i have problems and it is effecting how i work the rest of the day. Im an ectomorph weighing in at 145 (have been 145 my whole life and am trying to change it), I figure this might contribute.

Thanks for any imput

Might just be your tolerance for lactic acid. Find the article here for the Tabata Method and check it out. Could help you out a bit.

I’d say for any particular workout, if you really feel like throwing up, it’s time to back off and go home.

However, use a high level intensity at least twice a week, keep this up for a couple more weeks, and your body will just get used to it. Soon, you’ll go to the gym and do your usual nauseating workout, and not feel nauseated. Just don’t overdo it, give yourself a little rest in between the really heavy workouts.

Also, lemme try reading between the lines a bit here. Recently, you had shoulder surgery, which forced you to do much less upper body work. You didn’t want to quit working out entirely, so you switched to doing more lower body work instead.

And now you’re learning that serious lower body work is very taxing on your entire system. Could this be what’s happening to you? I mean, maybe you just didn’t train enough lower body in the past?

Yes, befor surgery i tried my best to have balanced workouts, so now that i cant my leg intensity has increased. I just think im doing somthing wrong because you assosiate throwingup with running, not doing leg press…

Im doing heavy weight 2 times a week and active recop/bodyweight things the other days. I only have probablems on the heavy days.

So you guys are saying that my body will gradualy become adapted to the intensity and i wont feel sick anymore, and therefor will be able to push it harder?

Agreed. I bet it’s not the intensity that’s the problem. You’re either eating too much, too little, or not the right kind of food. I used to throw up because I ate too little before a workout. It only happened when the session was really intense, but that wasn’t the root of the problem.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
What is your pre-workout diet consist of? Unless you are cramming Big Macs right before you touch the bar, I don’t see how you could be throwing up every workout.

[/quote]

[quote]nickbuisson wrote:
Were I have problems is at the end of my leg press unit. I do about 6 sets of 8 at 675 after 3 warmup sets. At the end of that is when i have problems and it is effecting how i work the rest of the day. Im an ectomorph weighing in at 145 (have been 145 my whole life and am trying to change it), I figure this might contribute.
Thanks for any imput
[/quote]

Lighten up on the weight and go through the FULL RANGE of motion on the leg press. I’ve seen people load 7 plates on each side of the incline leg press and push through about 6 inches of motion, raising to a “crunch position” to accomplish this. No wonder they are busting a gut! You should feel the push in your hams and glutes, if you are straining your abs you are executing incorrectly and using too much weight.

my range of motion is perfect considering my knees get within an inch of my chest and get to a 90 degree each rep…

I’ve puked a couple times in the past. Both times were on intense squat days. It wasn’t from eating too little or too much, but from over heating too fast from working out to hard without enough rest between sets. It’s not fun, or ideal, but it can be avoided by pacing oneself during a workout.