T Nation

Throwing Up in Hot Weather/Workout

I’m a 15 y.o. wrestler/football player/weightlifter. Sometimes I throw up in hot weather and especially in the gym. I’m in good shape and I push myself. I was wondering what your guys experiences on throwing up are and what you did to prevent it. Would a low carb diet make one more likely to throw up? I workout anywhere from 1 and a 1/2 to 6 hours a day.

Thanks.

[quote]nms33 wrote:
I’m a 15 y.o. wrestler/football player/weightlifter. Sometimes I throw up in hot weather and especially in the gym. I’m in good shape and I push myself. I was wondering what your guys experiences on throwing up are and what you did to prevent it. Would a low carb diet make one more likely to throw up? I workout anywhere from 1 and a 1/2 to 6 hours a day.

Thanks.[/quote]

I am a newb here, so take my advice with a grain of salt, but I think you are training entirely too much for a 15 year old. In fact, my guess would be you are over training and maybe inhibiting potential gains by training that much. I would recommend an hour and a half max on workouts. What does everyone else think?

make sure you are well hydrated, I had the same problem when I played football in high school. Though, I didn’t workout 6 hrs a day either

I can’t tell my coach I can only workout 1 and a half hours a day. 6 hours is wrestling and double sessions of football, which I have done a few times so far. I normally don’t workout that long. My goals aren’t to get huge though. Most important thing for me now is wrestling technique.

[quote]nms33 wrote:
I can’t tell my coach I can only workout 1 and a half hours a day. 6 hours is wrestling and double sessions of football, which I have done a few times so far. I normally don’t workout that long. My goals aren’t to get huge though. Most important thing for me now is wrestling technique.[/quote]

My mistake, I thought you meant you were lifting weights for 6 hours. You got to do what you got to do for the sports of course.

If you’re going to be stressing your body for that long of a period make sure that you’re not just drinking water. Sorry Adam Sandler, water sucks sports drinks AND water are better. By drinking straight water you start to break down the electrolyte concentration in your body. Electrolytes are responsible for carrying electric currents to and from the CNS to your body. So make sure to do that.

Now, what does a typical double sessions+wrestling day look like. As in, when do you do the first session, when does wrestling begin and end, and when does the second session start. You may or may not need to switch a bit away from solid foods and go with liquid protein/carbs (shakes). Take a look at the products page here and pay special attention to products focused on decreasing recovery time. You may indeed be overloading your body while at the same time not meeting your nutritional requirements.

So give us a breakdown of when your practices are and what you’re eating/drinking throughout the course of the day.

Some people just have different dispositions and are more prone to throwing up or feeling queasy when training in the heat. Make sure you are well hydrated and as suggested, getting something more than water such as Gatorade is a good idea. Make sure it sits in your stomach fine, many people (myself included) prefer watering down the Gatorade as it is very sweet.

Also make sure you eat a decent meal a few hours before intense training and also make sure that food sits well in your stomach. That is individual so just think about how you feel after you eat a certain food. If you don’t feel great after eating it, make sure you don’t eat that before training.

It sucks throwing up or whatever, but if you are on a team you kinda just gotta suck it up and keep working. Make sure you are staying hydrated and replacing fluids and not overheating. If you STOP sweating that is a danger sign.

Also feeling cold when you should be hot is a sign of heat sickness and at that point you need to tell your coach and stop. He will probably understand. Other than that, just keep pushing. Throwing up sucks but it isn’t the end of the world, it was not unusual for a guy or three to throw up during some of our summer football workouts but you really need to be diligent about staying hydrated and getting a lot of food and drink in afterwards to replace all that you lost.

[quote]Skrussian wrote:
If you’re going to be stressing your body for that long of a period make sure that you’re not just drinking water. Sorry Adam Sandler, water sucks sports drinks AND water are better. By drinking straight water you start to break down the electrolyte concentration in your body. Electrolytes are responsible for carrying electric currents to and from the CNS to your body. So make sure to do that.

Now, what does a typical double sessions+wrestling day look like. As in, when do you do the first session, when does wrestling begin and end, and when does the second session start. You may or may not need to switch a bit away from solid foods and go with liquid protein/carbs (shakes). Take a look at the products page here and pay special attention to products focused on decreasing recovery time. You may indeed be overloading your body while at the same time not meeting your nutritional requirements.

So give us a breakdown of when your practices are and what you’re eating/drinking throughout the course of the day.[/quote]

Thanks for the info. My practice schedules change a lot. But, I usuallly eat a whole food meal an hour or hour and a half before a practice or workout.

Maybe try backing that up a bit if you can, eating some less solid foods (peanut butter, yogurt, cottage cheese) things like that. They pass through quicker and are good for you. Try that and make sure to stay hydrated and see how it goes. Sometimes throwing up is just gonna be inevitable but you want to make sure at least that it’s not because you’re severely dehydrated and/or overheating.