Throwing Heavy Stuff Far

Today’s last set of snatches.

Yah! Home videos.

I see you dropping lower with each snatch. Is that because the weight is getting heavier, so you need to get farther under it. Or are you correcting your form with each snatch.

Looking good either way. I make a great judge. Stay strong, you have a record to break.

Hi Carl

Do you tend to hit the bar? It looks like bar it’s travelling out of the vertical.

But sure you look fast!!

[quote]Carl Darby wrote:
Today’s last set of snatches.
[/quote]

Great vid Carl and you do look like your avatar. Do you go lower in the squat as the weight moves up? Agree with Jorge you look fast.

[quote]streamline wrote:
Yah! Home videos.

I see you dropping lower with each snatch. Is that because the weight is getting heavier, so you need to get farther under it. Or are you correcting your form with each snatch.

Looking good either way. I make a great judge. Stay strong, you have a record to break.[/quote]

Its more the second option. This weight is light and I’m cutting the pull short (look at my knees, they never fully extend), trying not to do power snatches. With each lift, I get a better feel for how hard to pull.

[quote]Jorge Garzafox wrote:
Hi Carl

Do you tend to hit the bar? It looks like bar it’s travelling out of the vertical.

But sure you look fast!!

[/quote]

Wonderful, an o-lifter is looking at these. Good eye, you are right. I think what’s going on there is my back angle increases slightly during the first pull, so I pull my shoulders back too much in transition, giving the bar some backwards momentum, so it bounces off my forward moving hips. I will have to keep an eye on that, thanks for pointing it out. Thanks for the compliment also. (note to self–remember that increasing the frame rate trick).

Edit: And a pretty darn good one at that. I just took a look at your profile. I’m impressed.

The snatch is as much an art form as it is weightlifting. Just fun to watch when someone does it correctly. Thanks for the video.

[quote]hel320 wrote:
Great vid Carl and you do look like your avatar. Do you go lower in the squat as the weight moves up? Agree with Jorge you look fast.[/quote]

One of my throwers drew that a few years ago. The whole picture had him right next to me on the throwing field with thought bubbles. My thought bubble was filled with throwing implements, and his was filled with girls.

Yes I do go lower when the weight gets heavier. I’m struggling to avoid power snatches at this weight.

[quote]ecogenx wrote:
The snatch is as much an art form as it is weightlifting. Just fun to watch when someone does it correctly. Thanks for the video.[/quote]

You’re welcome. If it is an art form, then gravity is the critic.

[quote]Carl Darby wrote:
ecogenx wrote:
The snatch is as much an art form as it is weightlifting. Just fun to watch when someone does it correctly. Thanks for the video.

You’re welcome. If it is an art form, then gravity is the critic.[/quote]

Good one! (gravity as a critic) nice lifting too… ;-}

Sweet video. Lets see a clean & jerk if you got it!

Coming up as soon as I get home.

Good luck shooting for that snatch record! Its very humbling to see someone almost twice my age with lifts very similar to mine. I hope I stay that strong and fit when I get there.

Thanks for the good wishes. There are two things I wish I had done when I was younger in regards to weightlifting. First, learn good technique.

I have never had a coach, and the inaccessibility of information before the internet made learning technique a trial and error process, with long periods in between any useful information. Second, learn how to not over train.

I never knew there was such a thing until my best years were past, and my training pattern consisted of go heavy almost every day, improve for three to six months, crash, take a month or two off, and repeat, of course starting out at a not much different place than where I started the last time.

Avoid those two mistakes and you will easily surpass anything I have ever done.

10/2

Clean & Jerk: 62.5/3, 75/3, (87.5/3)3
Front Squats: 68/5, 81/5, (94/5)3
Presses: 40/5, 48/5, (56/5)3
Clean Dead Lifts: (112.5/5)3
Time: 51 min

I was supposed to do clean high pulls today, but I lost one of my straps, so I did dead lifts instead. High pulls without straps are an open invitation to torn callouses.

Technique–Getting my butt lower at the beginning felt a little more natural today. The back inclining thing is still there, but not as bad as yesterday. Consequently, the bar didn’t loop out as much.

Today’s last set of cleans.

Try again

Last try.

That sucks that your video did not show up. Either way, this thread delivers! Hope to see your break the records.

EDIT: Sweet, nevermind. Last try worked.

I think I have it figured out. I found a video file type that is not accepted. To test, here should be some front squats from today.