Throwing Down the Gauntlet/New Year's Challenge: 20 Rep Squat+20 Rep Deadlift

You definitely challenged yourself dude! That’s what makes us grow. Time limit sounds like a great idea: Crossfit WOD/Strongman style.

1 Like

Yeah - I’m moving that way. And I’m liking it. It is not like I wasted today either. My body is going to go - you failed the challenge. its meant to be another 15 dead lifts. I’m not going to get any bigger or stronger now!

1 Like

I’ve never heard this one, haha.

It’s a favourite of mine. People like to say “yeah well - if”.

If is a powerful word. It can change the whole context of a statement or question.

For example - if my aunt had a dick, she’s be my uncle!

1 Like

Tried out 4 plates per side

Took 2 rest pauses each side to get it all done. Squats went 12-4-4 and deads 8-6-6

Not as exhausting as a 20+ minute medley, but challenging in it’s own way.

11 Likes

Mate - I’m in awe

Thinking about trying 140kg again in the gym on a flexible bar tomorrow. And AND if I got it in me 40 reps on the 50kg log.
I got ALL day. I can have a massive feed before and after.

I hate you that you introduced me to this

3 Likes

Dude—from “New Year’s Challenge” to “Just another Saturday.”

Amazing!

2 Likes

Dude, fuck.

1 Like

That’s disgusting

2 Likes

This is literally Jon Andersen level stuff, pwn. I remember during the AMA I had asked him about some of his best lifts and he had said a 20 rep squat and 20 rep deadlift with 405. You’re unstoppable dude.

1 Like

I know its more of a training method/challenge but have you ever considered writing a program based on training that way. It would definitely work.

@carlbm Much appreciated dude! And believe me: I hate when I heard this idea because of what it did, haha. Massive refeed is a great call, because I honestly feel like I’m melting right now, haha.

@SvenG Thanks! Soon enough I’ll get to write this out of my Saturdays as I jump back into the Deep Water.

@mr.v3lv3t and @TrainForPain No joke. This is what happens when I think to myself “I don’t want to do much training today”…

@boilerman That was the inspiration! Jon, of course, did it super crazy and squatted the 405, dumped the bar, turned around and pulled it, and I’m sure it was unbroken reps, but it gives me a goal to shoot for.

@tlgains Hey man, in what way in particular do you mean here? It’d be a kind of nutty progression scheme to be like “Do 20+20, then add Fran, then add Grace, then add stones, then up the weight”, haha.

3 Likes

:sweat_smile: Yeah it would be nutty. I was thinking of a possibility of a size program being based off of the 20 rep squat + 20 rep deadlift.
Now that I think about it, I have no idea how that would work.

Yeah, with me doing this during a diet break, it’s a no sale for size gaining. Wouldn’t be a terrible supplemental protocol though

1 Like

They’re like widowmakers

Can we call them bridemakers

Husbandmakers

Pwnmakers?

All jokes aside, if I were to name the protocol I would name it Rip and tear. I would expect one’s body to feel that way doing that andddddd also because of Mick Gordon and the video game series Doom.

1 Like

Though I’ll always appreciate a reference to that Doom comic, since Jon came up with the workout, I wouldn’t feel right being the one to name it.

1 Like

It took me a full 4mins to get through this brutality.
I’m unsure of how much more time will pass before I’m able to remove myself from the floor. Wish me luck.

12 Likes

Video is still processing. I am so excited to see it!

I think it is up now, excuse the heavy breathing contained within.

First, your color coordination is on point.

You crushed it dude! That’s the effort and challenge I’m talking about. Great work!

2 Likes