T Nation

Throwing Down the Gauntlet/New Year's Challenge: 20 Rep Squat+20 Rep Deadlift

Dude, when I finished that workout with Fran tacked on, I legit felt like I had been open ocean swimming for hours. Just hanging out in a fog. That’s GOTTA be what anabolism feels like.

2 Likes

Yeah it was a circus.

Good luck!

1 Like

For real - 2 sets to hypertrophy!
I didn’t even consider tacking anything else on. I did some crunches on the BOSU ball to get some blood out of my back and went home!

3 Likes

Here it is

Skip to 1:00 for the challenge, I have my top set of the day at the beginning of the video.

Squat was 265x20
Take off shoes and sleeves
Deadlift was 300x8, 250x12

Dropped DL weight, I wouldn’t have been able to get even 2 more reps at 300.

Squat depth was atrocious, but there you have it. This was an intense challenge pwn. I’m still out of breath haha. I might take another swing at it and get some depth on those squats… and find a weight for deadlift that I can do for twenty.

6 Likes

Way to get after it dude! Once we get you squatting between your knees vs over them, that depth won’t be an issue. Try matching up the deadlift weight with the squat weight and you’ll see some magic happen I’m sure. I like keeping the sleeves over my shins in general: little cheaty way to get some shin savers.

You’ll do some growing from this! Haha.

1 Like

Great work!

1 Like

Here’s my attempt, 225-lbs squat and 255-lbs deadlift:

Took me forever to move from squat to deadlift—I need another bar! I had to rest-pause that deadlift set, and even so it turns out I only did 19 reps. That totally sucks because I could’ve gotten another one if I hadn’t lost count.

I ran a 5/3/1 & Widowmakers anchor just before the holidays, during which I set Widowmaker PRs at 210-lbs for squat and 240-lbs for deadlift, so both of these represent new +15-lbs PRs for me, and I’m very proud of myself for that.

Thanks for the challenge, Pwn—it totally sucked in the best kind of way.

10 Likes

Dude, those were some of the most legit squats I have ever seen. You murdered this. Treat yourself to more plates to celebrate! Haha. All that conditioning definitely showed.

1 Like

Outstanding man!

X2 on the squat depth. That’s like giving yourself a handicap for this. Very awesome.

1 Like

Squats looked freaking solid, all the more impressive that it was done beltless. Nice work

4 Likes

Squats deads and Keg Grace oh my

We got this folks

6 Likes