Throwin' A Punch

You must go to a boxing instructor and train in the proper form and technique before you worry about increasing hitting power through weightlifting

After going for a long time with my punching bag, the next day I’ll feel it a lot in my back.

Muscles must have something to do with it. Just look at Mike Tyson for example. Many of the others that I have seen could pass for bodybuilders. I think that I read somewhere that triceps and lats are among the most important muscles in throwing a punch.

id say ur in a fight u need all your muscles to be pretty strong, but no matter how hard your punch is therell be somebody that can take it so id say u need to worry as much about being able to take somebody elses punches

just my thoughts :stuck_out_tongue:

Joel

For now get a handgun and/or knife.

:slight_smile:

Speed and accuracy are key. A well placed straight punch will be more effective than a wild haymaker.

id say first and foremost, you can improve on it but speed inheritence in punching (boxing whatever) is something genetic. Technique is important, hitting the bag a lot is key, and getting stronger. Get stronger and hit the bag and you will have a good punch, med ball throws too etc. Works for me.

If it is just for little bullshit highschool fights punching power isn’t that important, unless you have no coordination or strenght at all. The biggest factor in a fight as a teen IMO is confidence. The person who fears being hit loses 90% of the time from what I have seen. Keep your hands up stay compact, throw quick straights and hooks, and you should be fine.

Or just join a gang, carry a knife and 4 guns and be a straight gangsta!!! Cause thats how real men settle things son!!!

[quote]Phatshady912 wrote:
If it is just for little bullshit highschool fights punching power isn’t that important, unless you have no coordination or strenght at all. The biggest factor in a fight as a teen IMO is confidence. The person who fears being hit loses 90% of the time from what I have seen. Keep your hands up stay compact, throw quick straights and hooks, and you should be fine.

Or just join a gang, carry a knife and 4 guns and be a straight gangsta!!! Cause thats how real men settle things son!!![/quote]

lol bullshit highschool fights? i dunno man but some fights in highschool get pretty damn serious n shit, especially with bats and knives involved. and punching power DOES matter.

Learn how to use your elbows, head and knees too, the fist in only one tool. A headbutt right on the chin or jaw is great, and just about everybody hates getting kneed or kicked in the balls. A lot of fights end with groin shots. Slapping is helpful too if you can hit the eyes or ears (as long as you have a follow up shot).

I’m a fan of palm strikes, personally.

-Gendou

Small piece of advice.

Hitting someone in the forehead hurts your hand.
Hitting someone in the faces pisses them off.
Hitting some in the neck takes them down.

In a serious fight where you’re in real danger, aim for the neck, not the face or forehead, like everyones natural inclination seems to be.

[quote]Beowolf wrote:
Small piece of advice.

Hitting someone in the forehead hurts your hand.
Hitting someone in the faces pisses them off.
Hitting some in the neck takes them down.

In a serious fight where you’re in real danger, aim for the neck, not the face or forehead, like everyones natural inclination seems to be.[/quote]

^+1
In a fight you have to be fucking ruthless.
Got to fucking eyegouge, kick the nuts, break finger, pullout your pocket knife to slice throats and stab the mid-section repeatedly. DIE MOTHERFUCKER, DIE!!!

:confused:

:slight_smile:

just bored, no real knowledge to impart heh

save your hands, chokes are your buddy.

baby fight…palm strike to the nose, instant tears…then do what ya want

life at risk…run! Cant run? trachea, balls, eye gouge, shin rake, bite, scratch, make rabid animal sounds. I would much rather run if any chance and no one was depending on me.

my drunk unruly friends…(read: my grand fighting experience haha) choke em while whispering “go to sleep bitch”, set them down gently, draw a penis on their forehead with a sharpie, pour beer and cig butts on em, get all the buds to take pics, then wake em up and tell them they passed out…

maybe get a pic of your balls on their head while giving a double thumbs up(or air guitar solo, your choice) for them being shit drunk at like 8pm. I have never done this of course… Wait what was this thread about?

about the weight lifting not transferring to a stronger punch …

there is this guy, that has been in jail for some time (four year if i recall correctly) who has spent the time weight lifting. benching got extra attention (150kg for reps in the end).

so he got out, and not long after there was this party, they got drunk and some asshole got the guy angry. he hits the asshole once, may be twice, and as a result the “opponent” had his lower jaw, and nose broken, knocked down on the ground choking on his own blood, unconscious … ended up in the hospital.

another story is about a local guy who could bench over 150kg in his youth too (now he can manage only around 130kg after a years break, he’s somewhere in mid 30’s) who used to train his punch by breaking bricks in half (and punching a bean sack). he has even managed to break a brick in the wall.

so weights are able to transfer a little bit of extra kick i guess …

First, don’t listen to the people that say to choke / grapple rather than strike. In a ring, or messin around with friends, that’s sound advice for a beginner. In street / school fights, that’s asking for his buddy to stomp your head while you go for a submission.

Keep your hands by your face, block or avoid the haymaker, and make straight punches to the nose. Don’t go for the ko, you’ll just break your hand. Your goal should be to break his nose. A broken nose will stop most people not used to getting punched… If he’s still standing after the broken nose, just finish with a quick knee to the balls :wink:

To get better at punching, punch things.

You can’t really learn to punch without a trainer of some sort. A few lessons at a boxing gym will cost next to nothing.

But, like others have pointed out, a good punch is useless without other skills. If you want to learn how to fight, you’re going to need to know other things.

Many street fights end up in some sort of clinch. You’re straight punch isn’t going to help you there. Once you can punch well, how do you plan to protect your hands in a street fight? At every boxing gym I’ve been to, there are a bunch of guys with busted hands - some from street fighting.

Last, fighting outside of the gym is pretty dumb. It’s a good way to get hurt/killed or in a lot of trouble. You can almost always walk away. See Renzo Gracie’s book for a nice breakdown of how most confrontations escalate.

so true … punching a bag 3 times can get your knuckles cut and vanes bleeding. and the bag if soft compared to a skull or a tooth. i have seen way too many people break their wrists and finger by acting stupid …

exactly…unless you train u’re knuckles/wrists for the impact against bone, you’re likely to screw up u’re hand as much as their head. palm strikes are a much better alternative, you can throw them the same way you would a straight or hook punch, although i imagine an uppercut to be rather difficult.

…a good hip toss would do the job nicely though, lol

Bill Roberts has it right you have to actually work on hitting something to develop striking power. As counterintuitive as it seems, lifting weights and getting big does not always have a transfer to striking power.

I have seen big guys who couldn’t punch their way out of a paper bag. I have also seen a guy who was the ectomorphic poster child who had ungodly strking power.

Technique is the most important thing. Mike Tyson is an excellent example of how a smaller man can use technique to overcome size.