T Nation

Throat-Ripping Grip Strength

So I was watching Rambo the other night and one of the greatest scenes ever in film is when Rambo rips open a bad guys throat. It got me thinking. What would it take to have a grip like that?

I do my grip training at the end of my Max Effort Lower Body day (Usually Plate pinch 3-4xmax sec’s and heavy BB holds) I also use COC gripper for a few sets a couple days later. I also have a bucket filled with rice I use for a little low impact grip work (Thanks Joe Defranco), but nothing really set in stone.

Does anyone know of a good place to get or have a good gripper training program? My main goal is to improve my deadlift and this is one area I know I can improve in. Also you have to admit it would be awesome to rip a guys throat out if you had to…or maybe a bear if it attacked you. You never know.

Thanks
Chris

There are different kinds of grip strength. Holding a deadlift bar is very different from squeezing a gripper. Squeezing strength doesn’t carry over very much to holding strength. As an example, I can hold 850 on a deadlift bar for about 15 seconds, but I can just barely close a #2 COC gripper.

I have always found that static holds with heavy weight increased my holding power more than anything else I have ever done. I set the bar up in the power rack so i just nicely clear the pins by 1" or so, and do a deadlift lockout. I then hold to failure. I used to do this at the end of every deadlift workout.

I can’t help with the “ripping out the throat” thing…sorry.

[quote]slattimer wrote:
As an example, I can hold 850 on a deadlift bar for about 15 seconds, but I can just barely close a #2 COC gripper.[/quote]

That’s remarkable. I can only hold 315 for 15 seconds but can close the #2.

You sure your hand isn’t injured or something?

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
So I was watching Rambo the other night and one of the greatest scenes ever in film is when Rambo rips open a bad guys throat. It got me thinking. What would it take to have a grip like that?

I do my grip training at the end of my Max Effort Lower Body day (Usually Plate pinch 3-4xmax sec’s and heavy BB holds) I also use COC gripper for a few sets a couple days later. I also have a bucket filled with rice I use for a little low impact grip work (Thanks Joe Defranco), but nothing really set in stone.

Does anyone know of a good place to get or have a good gripper training program? My main goal is to improve my deadlift and this is one area I know I can improve in. Also you have to admit it would be awesome to rip a guys throat out if you had to…or maybe a bear if it attacked you. You never know.

Thanks
Chris[/quote]

Trigger squeezes for speed for bear felling power.

[quote]slattimer wrote:
There are different kinds of grip strength. Holding a deadlift bar is very different from squeezing a gripper. Squeezing strength doesn’t carry over very much to holding strength. As an example, I can hold 850 on a deadlift bar for about 15 seconds, but I can just barely close a #2 COC gripper.

I have always found that static holds with heavy weight increased my holding power more than anything else I have ever done. I set the bar up in the power rack so i just nicely clear the pins by 1" or so, and do a deadlift lockout. I then hold to failure. I used to do this at the end of every deadlift workout.

I can’t help with the “ripping out the throat” thing…sorry.[/quote]

Holy shit… seeing you post is rarer than seeing a grizzly bear!!

And ironically, from any photos I’ve seen of you, seeing you is sorta like seeing a shaved grizzly!!

Go to dieselcrew.com and study up

• Finger tip pushups
  • Thick bar training
  • “blob” training
  • get a round piece of wood or small basketball…something little that you can grip with your hand, put an eye bolt in it and attach weight that way. hold for time and max lifts.
  • dragging sled using pinch grip
  • gi pullups or if you can use leather

after that just get raw beef chucks and your practice grip & rip. Progress to tougher material.

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
Go to dieselcrew.com and study up

• Finger tip pushups
  • Thick bar training
  • “blob” training
  • get a round piece of wood or small basketball…something little that you can grip with your hand, put an eye bolt in it and attach weight that way. hold for time and max lifts.
  • dragging sled using pinch grip
  • gi pullups or if you can use leather

after that just get raw beef chucks and your practice grip & rip. Progress to tougher material.[/quote]

But you have to take care of any injuries-be really careful, there are nerves in your hand that if damaged can affect the rest of your body too(like your brain).

Yeah Ive noticed that a “holding grip strength” is more in your fingers, while squeezing is more a process of the thumb area.

Farmer walks and Kroc rows

At the moment I hang from a pullup bar with weight as well as static BB holds. The hangs at least give you two bangs for your buck and hit your lats. I normally target a 60 second hang. Add weight to the belt once I make it.

I started off years ago doing monkey bar work for grip strength. The swapping of the hands gives you more than just static hold power. Maybe hit the old playground.

I also have an old gripper from the 50s era that is spring loaded. I swapped out the springs for bigger ones from the harware store. I squeeze the rig at work every other day. Drives my co-workers nuts, squeaky-squeaky.

I think throat crushing/tearing would be more a matter of will then strength. I can tear chicken off the bone, but tearing someone’s throat out? I don’t think I’ve got what it takes.

Linear periodization all the way.

Start with high reps on something light like a chicken, or rats if you live in the city. Work up to stray cats or small dogs for 3 sets of 5, at the end of 12 weeks try for a PR single on the bad guy.

Barring that, elitefts carries a book on captains of crush grippers as well as a book called “Mastery of Hand Strength” which is more geared toward training feats of gripping strength

Probably a mix of pinch grip strength along with some finger tip push ups or something for finger conditioning. Try it out, if you end up in prison we’ll know it worked.

I can’t imagine that it takes much strength to tear soft tissue. Its all in the fingers and the lats.

Finger-board pull-ups!

Ask patrick swayze

[quote]LiftSmart wrote:
slattimer wrote:
As an example, I can hold 850 on a deadlift bar for about 15 seconds, but I can just barely close a #2 COC gripper.

[/quote]

That’s remarkable. It took me to shrug 455 for reps bare handed before I could close the #2.

[quote]FightingScott wrote:
LiftSmart wrote:
slattimer wrote:
As an example, I can hold 850 on a deadlift bar for about 15 seconds, but I can just barely close a #2 COC gripper.

That’s remarkable. It took me to shrug 455 for reps bare handed before I could close the #2. [/quote]

Weird.

I have tiny forearms too. Only 12".

“No. 2 @ 195 lb: Success here means you’re exceptionally strong”

From the IronMind website. But I’m definitely not exceptionally strong.

[quote]LiftSmart wrote:
FightingScott wrote:
LiftSmart wrote:
slattimer wrote:

That’s remarkable. It took me to shrug 455 for reps bare handed before I could close the #2.

Weird.

I have tiny forearms too. Only 12".

“No. 2 @ 195 lb: Success here means you’re exceptionally strong”

From the IronMind website. But I’m definitely not exceptionally strong.
[/quote]

In comparison to normal people. We’re exceptionally strong for normal, untrained people.

I can hold a 315lbs bar for about 40-60 sec, but I’m able to do 10-15 reps or do static holds fully closed for 30 secs of my 200lbs Heavy Grips (about the same as a #2 CoC).

I guess gripping and holding strength is quite different mechanisms.

As for ripping throats, I’d to loads of gripper work, and some specific finger work.

Btw, ripping phone books is a cool hobby and a nice party trick, but a lot more peaceful than ripping throats.

[quote]pinkponyz wrote:
I can hold a 315lbs bar for about 40-60 sec, but I’m able to do 10-15 reps or do static holds fully closed for 30 secs of my 200lbs Heavy Grips (about the same as a #2 CoC).

I guess gripping and holding strength is quite different mechanisms.

As for ripping throats, I’d to loads of gripper work, and some specific finger work.

Btw, ripping phone books is a cool hobby and a nice party trick, but a lot more peaceful than ripping throats.[/quote]

I have both, my 200lb HG and CoC #2 are not comparable.

The CoC is equivalent to the 250 HG for my sets of grippers.