Threw Back Out Deadlifting

I just came back from the gym after throwing my lower back out at the gym or straining my lower back. What happened was I maxed 315lbs for the first time and shortly completing the lift i started taking the plates off the bar so the next guy in line could go who was waiting.

While squating down to unrack the weights from the bar I sort of used my back to pull one of the plates up and screwed my back up. Hurts to stand straight and i have to hunch, hurts to walk and can’t run. Going to the doctor tomorrow but should i ice or heat right now?

Anybody who wants to correct me, go ahead, but I believe the first order of business is usually to control inflammation…

both

After the first day alternating supposedly helps it heal quicker.

If you only want to use one, for the first day your better off Icing before you setting down.

Or you can only use heat, specially when waking.
Great excuse to have your girl rub your back, without having to do anything for her.

That’s what i assumed, so ice first? Also i took some anti-inflammatory and i have no leg pain, so i did not blow a disc, also it’s localized the left lower side. So ice all day or alternate later?

hahah, and thanks for the massage advice airtruth.

[quote]JSopko wrote:
That’s what i assumed, so ice first? Also i took some anti-inflammatory and i have no leg pain, so i did not blow a disc, also it’s localized the left lower side. So ice all day or alternate later?

hahah, and thanks for the massage advice airtruth.[/quote]

You probably just strained a back muscle, I wouldnt worry about it. Definatley take some time off painfull excercises tho and heal up so you can keep setting those PR’s

Currently have some ice wrapped to my back and acute pain is residing. Thanks much guys.

The day before yesterday I broke my deadlift PB, my back felt ok immediatley after.

But yesterday I started to get pain in my lower back, especially when I layed down. I felt inflexible and I had a sharp pain when I layed on my side.

But today it’s not that bad. Despite hurting like hell for a while yesterday. Today i’ve rested it and it seems ok. So it is probably the same sort of thing, it might just sort itself out with a bit of rest.

I find that after a deadlift session, sometimes my lower back feels weakened and if I have bad posture - say i’m sat in a bad position for a while it get worse.

Ironically I did the same thing today. I was following Waterbury’s ABBH 1 doing 5x10 on DLs with 265, on the last rep of the second set something ?popped? in my lower back while I was locking out the weight. I thought I had good form (I try sticking to the form Ian King prescribes) but I guess I got sloppy because the next thing I know I can?t walk or move without pain.

It seems to me that rest and ice is about the only thing you can do besides NSAIDs at this stage.

Fish oil (carlson’s or Flameout), zyflamend, traumeel, foam rolling.

I believe ice is the way to go. Ice may not help but rarely hurts. Heat can hurt.

[quote]JSopko wrote:
That’s what i assumed, so ice first? Also i took some anti-inflammatory and i have no leg pain, so i did not blow a disc, also it’s localized the left lower side.
[/quote]

when my disk got a bit hurt my leg did not hurt either, but a lower back pain at the connection with the hip, was very intense. that place still feels weak and is the first thing to hurt if doing heavy d-lifts.

icing for 15min and letting it warm up some time before icing again is the method i read about…

warming not recommended the first day.