T Nation

Threshold for Beneficial Protein Intake?

So let’s say I’m a 5 foot 10 inch male, weighing 185 lbs. I take in 185 grams of protein per day. I decide to start supplementing with extra protein, and get up to 230 grams per day. Is that going to help me? What if I only bumped it up to 210 grams per day? Is there a threshold for these things?

what if what if what if what if

TRY IT.

(sorry, but this is discussed so much)

[quote]AccipiterQ wrote:
I take in 185 grams of protein per day. I decide to start supplementing with extra protein, and get up to 230 grams per day. Is that going to help me? What if I only bumped it up to 210 grams per day? Is there a threshold for these things? [/quote]

Probably, but the only way you’ll ever know if to try it.

What works for someone else may not work for you. This is one of the cool things about training and nutrition, finding what works for each individual best. We’re all little labs walking around and our success is often determined by how well we experiment with the variables.

I doubt you’ll get very far if you rely on others telling what will work best for you.

210?!? I’d have to try to get that low. I’m 172ish and I eat 275-300 grams of protein a day. Granted, I’m eating 4300-4500 calories.

Definately see how it works for you. Honestly, You’ll probably need more if you’re doing some real muscle damage.

Drowning in the details.

NO threshold, just the law of diminishing marginal returns.