Three Questions

How bad are energy shots (5 hour energy for example) to take before working out/ or even just in general.

I’ve heard a lot of debate about artificial sweeteners. Are there some I can use and some I should avoid?

How bad is the walmart brand protein powder?

Super Whey Protein Blend (Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Isolate), Super Recovery Blend (Creatine Monohydrate, Taurine, L-Glutamine, Leucine, Isoleucine, Valine), Peanut Flour, Cocoa (Processed With Alkali), Natural And Artificial Flavors, Soy Lecithin, Cellulose Gum, Acesulfame Potassium, Sucralose. Contains Milk, Soy, Peanut And Tree Nut (Pecan) Ingredients. Typical Amino Acid Profile (Milligrams Per 34 G Scoop****): Essential Amino Acids: Histidine 364 Mg, Isoleucine 1,123 Mg, Leucine 2,004 Mg, Lysine, 1,676 Mg, Methionine 408 Mg, Phenylalanine 620 Mg, Threonine 1,174 Mg, Tryptophan*** 356 Mg, Valine 1,061 Mg. Nonessential Amino Acids: Alanine 875 Mg, Arginine 498 Mg, Aspartic Acid 2,170 Mg, Cysteine 456 Mg, Glutamic Acid 3,254 Mg, Glycine 339 Mg, Proline 1,373 Mg, Serine 1,018 Mg, Tyrosine 553 Mg. ***L-Tryptophan Is Naturally Occurring, Not Added. ****Approximate Values. % Daily Value Not Established For Sugars.

1. energy shots are not bad…if you need stims to get you ready to train…then go ahead…most are just caffeine…

2. some people claim aspartme is dangerous, yet there are numerous studies showing otherwise…same with sucralose…i think they are perfectly fine, and i see no reason for them to be dangerous at all…the FDA did extensive research on both of those sweetners…

3. that protein powder is fine if that amino acid profile is correct…but maybe look into optimum nutrition’s whey protein (it’s pretty cheap)…

1. Time will tell, but it’s just caffeine and some b vitamins. Does contain phenasomething http://astro.sunysb.edu/tracy/whatis.html

2. Don’t touch these especially aspartame. Do a quick google search

3. Not worth the money even though it’s cheap. Just buy a quality isolate online or on this site.

#1: I use it interchangeably with caffeine, have not read much about long-term effects, though.
#3: I’m with dnlcdstn. Also a lot of those cheaper powders don’t contain micellar casein, so they’re more for rapid absorption.

Just a quick note on aspartame.

Aspartame is digested and releases aspartic acid, phenylalanine, and methanol.

Aspartic acid is a non-essential amino acid which is also found in vegetables (avacado, asparagus, for example) as well as numerous meats.

Most people know about phenylalanine. The potential danger here is with phenylketonuria, though an 8 oz steak has 16x the amount of phenylalanine as a can of diet coke.

And methanol is…methanol.

IMO I don’t see any danger with using aspartame. Very handy for curbing cravings while cutting.

Stay away from whey protein (except for post workout), stick with human proteins/blends for throughout the day/before bed.

[quote]solidkhalid wrote:
Stay away from whey protein (except for post workout), stick with human proteins/blends for throughout the day/before bed.[/quote]

I’m going to have to disagree on this. The first time I had a whey protein shake, I felt like I’d taken an energy drink. This was after being a vegetarian for nearly 2 years and having no idea how much protein I was supposed to have(under eating it, so the amount in the whey shake hitting me that quickly was awesome). To this day, whey does wonders for me. I also eat all other types of protein, but whey makes me feel better (alert, good digestion, satisfied, strong) than any other form. I’ve never experienced any negative side effect from using it and will sometimes consume it several times a day (before and after workout and between meals). I’ve actually noticed that I get sick less often when I’m consuming whey more often.

As for the artificial sweeteners, I’m undecided. I recently found these:
http://www.holisticmed.com/splenda/bowen.html

What’s everyone’s thoughts on this?

Stay away from whey protein (except for post workout), stick with human proteins/blends for throughout the day/before bed.[/quote]
I don’t understand, elaborate on this.

I don’t understand, elaborate on this.

Cock proteinz for teh winz!

[quote]K-Man32 wrote:

I don’t understand, elaborate on this.[/quote]

They got this really cool, easily digestible human protein that contains the exact amino acid profile found in the human body. I think it’s called 100% Soylent Super Protein or something.

sucralose is nothing like anything he mentioned…it is fat insoluble and doesn’t breakdown in the body…it passes through the body as sucralose…

there are hundreds of studies showing it is safe on pubmed…

i trust peer reviewed journal published studies over a guy who is most likely crazy lol…

[quote]Dre the Hatchet wrote:

[quote]K-Man32 wrote:

They got this really cool, easily digestible human protein that contains the exact amino acid profile found in the human body. I think it’s called 100% Soylent Super Protein or something. [/quote]

SOYLENT GREEN IS PEEEEOOOPPPLLE!!!

[quote]D Public wrote:
sucralose is nothing like anything he mentioned…it is fat insoluble and doesn’t breakdown in the body…it passes through the body as sucralose…

there are hundreds of studies showing it is safe on pubmed…

i trust peer reviewed journal published studies over a guy who is most likely crazy lol…[/quote]

What does this one mean? I wish I knew more about what these findings actually indicated.

[quote]Dre the Hatchet wrote:

[quote]K-Man32 wrote:

They got this really cool, easily digestible human protein that contains the exact amino acid profile found in the human body. I think it’s called 100% Soylent Super Protein or something. [/quote]
Ha…interesting. Pretty bold statement from SolidKhalid about the whey protein though, shouldn’t be throwing out opinions like they are gospel.

yeah that specific study has had some criticism…an expert panel concluded that it was improperly performed…

nobody has reproduced their results…

that study was also financed by the sugar association, so you have to wonder if there was a bias…

[quote]D Public wrote:
yeah that specific study has had some criticism…an expert panel concluded that it was improperly performed…

nobody has reproduced their results…

that study was also financed by the sugar association, so you have to wonder if there was a bias…[/quote]

This is slightly irritating because I can see how Splenda would be interested in reviewing and squashing a study like that and I can also see how the sugar company would be interested in doing away with Splenda.

I wasn’t throwing out my opinion like it was gospel at all, you take it that way. I’m not talking about Soylent protein (never even heard of it), but rather protein made for humans, not FROM humans.

As for Oleena, grats, your in the minority of people who don’t get shitty (literally) effects from cow protein!

[quote]Oleena wrote:

This is slightly irritating because I can see how Splenda would be interested in reviewing and squashing a study like that and I can also see how the sugar company would be interested in doing away with Splenda.

[/quote]

true…

but, that is literally the only study showing a negative effect(there are zero in humans)…i go with the majority until proven otherwise…The sugar companies should have found more evidence against splenda by now, but they haven’t…

i also felt the duke study was strange…they used a small amount of rats(all males), and they didn’t control the rat’s diets…

The expert panel claimed that the Duke study failed to give the rat’s the same diet because splenda does contain carbohydrates(each pack is 3.75 calories due to the maltodextrin it is binded on)…

I wasn’t throwing out my opinion like it was gospel at all, you take it that way. I’m not talking about Soylent protein (never even heard of it), but rather protein made for humans, not FROM humans.

As for Oleena, grats, your in the minority of people who don’t get shitty (literally) effects from cow protein![/quote]

So…mother’s milk? What other protein source is made for humans? How is whey protein (microfiltered whey isolate for instance) not made for humans? This statement just doesn’t make sense.

It is a protein made by Arthur L Rea…google his initials…

I actually like his company lol…