AssOnGrass wrote:
rrjc5488 wrote:
Subliminal-Steve wrote:
michael2507 wrote:
Renton wrote:
AssOnGrass wrote:
ab_power wrote:
AssOnGrass wrote:
Under what criteria should a thread be deemed successful?

I was looking at various threads and was thinking that most threads die a quick death (perhaps only receive posts for a day or 2) and some live a very, very long time.

Now the life of a thread should not be the only criteria to grade a thread. I’ve analyzed the 3 concrete statistical categories on which a thread should be judged. Now if you want to go into thread sabermetrics be my guest.

1: Life of a thread.
Still probably the ultimate barometer if a thread has lived up to it’s hype. There are some confounding variables as to how successful it has become.

A topic might be proposed and maybe a dozen posters respond within that topic for an extended period off time. While it’s duration is drawn out it draws little interest of most posters.

*See "Geek s**t or most topics in PWI for it’s downfalls.

Hall of Fame worthy thread (Joe Montana-esque) - Gets posts for more than 1 year on a fairly regular basis.

Great thread (Jim Kelly-esque) - 6 months to 1 year of life then dies off.

All star thread (Early Drew Bledsoe-esque) - 3 to 6 months of life.

Good career but could never win the Superbowl (Neil O’Donnell-esque) - 1-3 months

Below average to average (Stan Humphries-esque) - 3 days to 1 month

Darwin award thread (Ryan Leaf-esque)- Less than 3 days.

2: # of views.
This criteria requires a topic to be interesting and entertaining enough so it gathers readers from all walks of life.

One confounding variable is that this thread does not necessarily have enough overall community participation.

This is most likely from pictures being posted of scantily clad sex pots and the same 400 posters who have never seen a boob in their lives keep clicking on the thread at hand without ever contributing. This can result in a quick death to the thread in regards to time frame.

*See almost everything in SAMA for evidence of viewership

Hall of Fame worthy thread (Joe Montana-esque)- 100,000+ views

Great thread (Jim Kelly-esque) - 50,000 - 99,999 views

All star thread (Early Drew Bledsoe-esque) - 25,000 - 49,999 views

Good career but could never win the Superbowl (Neil O’Donnell-esque)- 1,000 - 24,999 views

Below average to average (Stan Humphries-esque) - 100 - 999 views

Darwin award thread (Ryan Leaf-esque) - 0 - 99 views

3: # of posts

This topic requires the thread to be more engaging amongst its readers. Any discussion of race, religion (including evolution and creationism), and Brad Pitt or Vin Diesel will cause an instant input of 100, 75, and 50 posts respectively.

Due to it’s redundancy and vast number of threads on the topics at hand these topics generally will not last very long. It takes a special thread to hit enormous numbers on posts.

One confound is the hot topic paradigm. When this topic is posted (see Michael Vick dog fight threads) it will cause an enormous influx of posts from all angles due to the controversial nature of the topic.

As people become desensitized quickly the thread dies within 1-2 months at most while amassing a large number of posts.

Hall of Fame worthy thread (Joe Montana-esque)- 2,500+ posts

Great thread (Jim Kelly-esque)- 1,500 - 2,499 posts

All star thread (Early Drew Bledsoe-esque)- 500 - 1,499 posts

Good career but could never win the Superbowl (Neil O’Donnell-esque)- 100 - 499 posts

Below average to average (Stan Humphries-esque)- 25 - 99 posts

Darwin award thread (Ryan Leaf-esque)- 1 - 24

Now discuss what content, posters, subject lines, etc… that encourage a great thread on a quality level.

Only time will tell where this thread ranks. If it’s a darwin award winner so be it… I can’t rig the laws of nature.

corollary: the number of posts in a thread is inversely proportional to the quality of said thread

What factors make said thread quality?

Not quoting the entire first post several times on the first page of the thread seems to increase quality. :stuck_out_tongue:

What Renton said.

sure I’ll join the club and agree with this too

Another post for me!

Longest first page ever?

we can try for it
(think some lesbian kissing helps quality too)

Damn I forgot to add the intended picture to the first post I’ll go back and do that.

Edit: apparently you can’t retroactively attach an image.

Huh, didn’t know that, but good info nonetheless.

(triple damage)

Well there’s the picture I was talking about.[/quote]

Nice.

It’d be funnier if nobody replied to this.

Everyone, delete your posts.

[quote]Renton wrote:
AssOnGrass wrote:
Travacolypse wrote:
AssOnGrass wrote:
Subliminal-Steve wrote:
AssOnGrass wrote:
rrjc5488 wrote:
Subliminal-Steve wrote:
michael2507 wrote:
Renton wrote:
AssOnGrass wrote:
ab_power wrote:
AssOnGrass wrote:

I was looking at various threads and was thinking that most threads die a quick death (perhaps only receive posts for a day or 2) and some live a very, very long time.

Now the life of a thread should not be the only criteria to grade a thread. I’ve analyzed the 3 concrete statistical categories on which a thread should be judged. Now if you want to go into thread sabermetrics be my guest.

Still probably the ultimate barometer if a thread has lived up to it’s hype. There are some confounding variables as to how successful it has become.

A topic might be proposed and maybe a dozen posters respond within that topic for an extended period off time. While it’s duration is drawn out it draws little interest of most posters.

Hall of Fame worthy thread (Joe Montana-esque) - Gets posts for more than 1 year on a fairly regular basis.

Good career but could never win the Superbowl (Neil O’Donnell-esque) - 1-3 months

This criteria requires a topic to be interesting and entertaining enough so it gathers readers from all walks of life.

One confounding variable is that this thread does not necessarily have enough overall community participation.

This is most likely from pictures being posted of scantily clad sex pots and the same 400 posters who have never seen a boob in their lives keep clicking on the thread at hand without ever contributing. This can result in a quick death to the thread in regards to time frame.

Good career but could never win the Superbowl (Neil O’Donnell-esque)- 1,000 - 24,999 views

This topic requires the thread to be more engaging amongst its readers. Any discussion of race, religion (including evolution and creationism), and Brad Pitt or Vin Diesel will cause an instant input of 100, 75, and 50 posts respectively.

Due to it’s redundancy and vast number of threads on the topics at hand these topics generally will not last very long. It takes a special thread to hit enormous numbers on posts.

One confound is the hot topic paradigm. When this topic is posted (see Michael Vick dog fight threads) it will cause an enormous influx of posts from all angles due to the controversial nature of the topic.

As people become desensitized quickly the thread dies within 1-2 months at most while amassing a large number of posts.

Good career but could never win the Superbowl (Neil O’Donnell-esque)- 100 - 499 posts

Now discuss what content, posters, subject lines, etc… that encourage a great thread on a quality level.

Only time will tell where this thread ranks. If it’s a darwin award winner so be it… I can’t rig the laws of nature.

corollary: the number of posts in a thread is inversely proportional to the quality of said thread

Not quoting the entire first post several times on the first page of the thread seems to increase quality. :stuck_out_tongue:

What Renton said.

Another post for me!

Longest first page ever?

we can try for it

Damn I forgot to add the intended picture to the first post I’ll go back and do that.

(triple damage)

Well there’s the picture I was talking about.

Nice.[/quote]

I kind of like it when I can reference every earlier post without scrolling around.

[quote]Flop Hat wrote:
Renton wrote:
AssOnGrass wrote:
Travacolypse wrote:
AssOnGrass wrote:
Subliminal-Steve wrote:
AssOnGrass wrote:
rrjc5488 wrote:
Subliminal-Steve wrote:
michael2507 wrote:
Renton wrote:
AssOnGrass wrote:
ab_power wrote:
AssOnGrass wrote:

What Renton said.

Another post for me!

Longest first page ever?

we can try for it

(triple damage)

Nice.

I kind of like it when I can reference every earlier post without scrolling around.[/quote]

Let’s see how long this lasts.

[quote]ukrainian wrote:
Flop Hat wrote:
Renton wrote:
AssOnGrass wrote:
Travacolypse wrote:
AssOnGrass wrote:
Subliminal-Steve wrote:
AssOnGrass wrote:
rrjc5488 wrote:
Subliminal-Steve wrote:
michael2507 wrote:
Renton wrote:
AssOnGrass wrote:
ab_power wrote:
AssOnGrass wrote:

What Renton said.

Another post for me!

Longest first page ever?

we can try for it

(triple damage)

Nice.

I kind of like it when I can reference every earlier post without scrolling around.

Let’s see how long this lasts.[/quote]

Well know, it wouldn’t be spam if I didn’t join in now would it??

I’ll even include one of my favorite pics for the mix.

There is no way to judge the quality of a thread. Some of them don’t even carry the original topic. Sometimes I will only add to a thread if the title interests me or I see my peeps on it.

[quote]RebornTN wrote:
ukrainian wrote:
Flop Hat wrote:
Renton wrote:
AssOnGrass wrote:
Travacolypse wrote:
AssOnGrass wrote:
Subliminal-Steve wrote:
AssOnGrass wrote:
rrjc5488 wrote:
Subliminal-Steve wrote:
michael2507 wrote:
Renton wrote:
AssOnGrass wrote:
ab_power wrote:
AssOnGrass wrote:

What Renton said.

Another post for me!

Longest first page ever?

we can try for it

(triple damage)

Nice.

I’ll even include one of my favorite pics for the mix. [/quote]

Whoa, I was the last one on the first page. Wonder why it stopped :confused:

I hate you all.

Incidentally, lets take a random sample of the top threads on this site and see what they seem to have in common:

Mdragon’s experience on the AD
The Ass Worship Thread.
BOI (the original)
Koing’s Log/Numbers.
Ever Feel Like a Thread Killer

Now, two are logs (Koing and BOI), Ass-worship and AD have (had) daily upkeep with people posting new (old) questions/pics, and one is just people fucking with other people for who can get the last word in. And it’ll be me. Just so you know.

Now, what do they all have in common?

Makavali has over 1000 posts in each.

[quote]RebornTN wrote:
RebornTN wrote:
ukrainian wrote:
Flop Hat wrote:
Renton wrote:
AssOnGrass wrote:
Travacolypse wrote:
AssOnGrass wrote:
Subliminal-Steve wrote:
AssOnGrass wrote:
rrjc5488 wrote:
Subliminal-Steve wrote:
michael2507 wrote:
Renton wrote:
AssOnGrass wrote:
ab_power wrote:
AssOnGrass wrote:

What Renton said.

Another post for me!

Longest first page ever?

we can try for it

(triple damage)

Nice.

I’ll even include one of my favorite pics for the mix.

Whoa, I was the last one on the first page. Wonder why it stopped :/[/quote]

20 posts per page aint it?
EDIT: just counted and there’s 25 shrugs

[quote]tootles27 wrote:
There is no way to judge the quality of a thread. Some of them don’t even carry the original topic. Sometimes I will only add to a thread if the title interests me or I see my peeps on it.

[/quote]

My peeps, lol, the only reason I came in here.

Does this thread remind anyone else of a Monty Python’s Flying Circus episode?

[quote]polo77j wrote:
Does this thread remind anyone else of a Monty Python’s Flying Circus episode?[/quote]

No but I just clicked on it because I noticed you were the last poster and I wanted to see that avatar of yours.

[quote]Otep wrote:
Makavali has over 1000 posts in each.[/quote]

That had me chuckling.

And setting a new goal.

[quote]RebornTN wrote:
Otep wrote:
Makavali has over 1000 posts in each.

That had me chuckling.

And setting a new goal.[/quote]

Bitch please.

So how about that local football team?

[quote]Renton wrote:
AssOnGrass wrote:
ab_power wrote:
AssOnGrass wrote:

My thoughts exactly!

One confounding variable is that this thread does not necessarily have enough overall community participation. This is most likely from pictures being posted of scantily clad sex pots and the same 400 posters who have never seen a boob in their lives keep clicking on the thread at hand without ever contributing. This can result in a quick death to the thread in regards to time frame.

Not quoting the entire first post several times on the first page of the thread seems to increase quality. :P[/quote]

[quote]Boffin wrote:
Renton wrote:
AssOnGrass wrote:
ab_power wrote:
AssOnGrass wrote:

My thoughts exactly!

One confounding variable is that this thread does not necessarily have enough overall community participation. This is most likely from pictures being posted of scantily clad sex pots and the same 400 posters who have never seen a boob in their lives keep clicking on the thread at hand without ever contributing. This can result in a quick death to the thread in regards to time frame.

[/quote]

Not sure what happened there, must have made a mistake laughing at everyones quotes…

I guess this could get real silly, real quick!

[quote]Boffin wrote:
Boffin wrote:
Renton wrote:
AssOnGrass wrote:
ab_power wrote:
AssOnGrass wrote:

My thoughts exactly!

Not sure what happened there, must have made a mistake laughing at everyones quotes…

[/quote]

ya think so?

[quote]Subliminal-Steve wrote:
Boffin wrote:
Boffin wrote:
Renton wrote:
AssOnGrass wrote:
ab_power wrote:
AssOnGrass wrote:

My thoughts exactly!

ya think so?[/quote]

I don’t think “could” was the right word.