Thread Zeppelin

… because it had to be done. I’ve had LZ on the brain this week.

One of all time favorite riffs and a great litmus test when auditioning rock drummers:

I was experimenting with some alternate guitar tuning this weekend and I relearned “Bron Yr Aur”.

Go read “Hammer of the Gods”. You’ll dig it. Anyway-

Great thread and great thread title.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
[/quote]

Bought it hardcover when it first came out :wink:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
[/quote]

Bought it hardcover when it first came out ;)[/quote]

Well, shit… You got me beat! Zep is the best band of all time and I don’t really think it’s up for debate. The amount of quality music they put out is fucking insane.

I’m glad I kept all my old albums. Led Zepp 3 with the revolving wheel is pretty slick. Can’t do that with a CD.

I always felt that Presence never got it’s due. Achillies Last Stand is my favorite Zepp song by far. The drumming on that track is what I like most about it.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
[/quote]

Bought it hardcover when it first came out ;)[/quote]

Ditto. Read it twice before lending it out.

My son’s been on an east coast tour with the School Of Rock All-Stars for the past 10 days. I saw them live at a club in Long Island on Saturday. The show was great, but when they ended the show with “Whole Lotta Love”, and especially “How Many More Times”, I literally got the chills.

It reminded me of the raw power of LZ, and how at the time they created those songs, there was nothing else like them on the planet. The debate that continues today of which band invented heavy metal (Zep vs Sabbath) is a ridiculous one when you consider how hard Zeppelin rocked back then. Those songs were downright scary when you compare them to the radio fare at the time, and so many elements of their sound and approach have contributed greatly - if not the most - to hard rock and metal.

Zep >> Sabbath
Zep >> Beatles
Zep >> Stones
Zep >> The Who

[quote]bond james bond wrote:
I always felt that Presence never got it’s due. Achillies Last Stand is my favorite Zepp song by far. The drumming on that track is what I like most about it.
[/quote]

I maintain that Achilles was the prototype template for thrash metal. Obviously not as heavy, but dynamic with so many transitions, but not in the typical ‘prog’ fashion. It just keeps moving like a train. The main riff, the half-time section, the solo sections, and especially the ‘proto-mosh’ around 6:40, then the 12 string outtro. You can almost hear that outtro as a Metallica INTRO with a slow solo on top (think Fade to Black).

Ahead of its time for what '76 or '77?

Iron Dwarf: I’m from the school of Zeppelin and Sabbath brought about heavy metal together but independently. They both came at it from a different angle and subsequent generations were born of the mash-- like Zep/Sab were the original parents and everything else born from those. Like Reese’s peanut butter cup “you dropped your chocolate in my peanut butter-- no! you got your peanut butter on my chocolate!” Like Leibnitz and Newton both independently ‘invented’ Calculus…

I would further argue that “Communication Breakdown” was around before Sab and lets face it, some modern metal isn’t much of a leap from Communication Breakdown.

I read an interview with John Paul Jones and he was talking about the late 70’s when the Punk movement was at the top and declaring Led Zeppelin as dead dinosaurs, etc. He made the point that all that punk music was essentially rooted in riffing “Communication Breakdown” that was 10 years previous. They’d already set the foundations for punk.

The lip-synch is pretty funny, but just imagine these guys with mohawks and piercings and smashing their guitars after this. Not too much of a leap…

From about the 2:15 mark onward, still one of the best grooves I’ve ever heard. John Paul Jones and Bonham hadn’t even been playing together for a year at this point.

the real beginning of punk

an underrated song in my humble opinion

another gem

without led zeppelin, there’s no Clash, no Metallica, and definitely no Tool.

SteelyD and ID, Have you guy’s ever read Classic Rock Magazine? My boss buy’s it and let’s me read them when he’s finished. Very good mag imo. It has a more european flavour because it’s published there though.

According to them Budgie is considered the first metal band. I never heard of them untill two years ago lol.

There aren’t too many bands out there where you can put on an album and not want to skip a couple tracks cause they just seem like filler to finish the thing. Not with Zepp! All good songs, front to back.

[/quote]

First off, nice thread Steely.

All this LZ talk is giving me a semi.

Anywho, Achilles is also my favorite Zep song. This live version is the best one I’ve ever found.

DBCooper - you said you recently started playing drums. Check out Bonzo’s disgusting fill at 2:38

[/quote]

This is truth. It always pisses me off when Presence gets slighted in the Zep anthology. All the songs rock, with killer grooves. Tea for One is sweet blues magic.

Achillies Last Stand is such a big song. More Page master producing. I got misty when I watched Achilles in How the West was One. To hear my favorite band playing my favorite song live was a personal moment.

And Zep is the best rock band evah.

According to them Budgie is considered the first metal band. I never heard of them untill two years ago lol.
[/quote]

Yeah, Budgie. Their first release was a couple years after Zep/Sab, which is ages in music industry, even back then.

The fact that “Budgie” is relegated to obscurity says a lot about their influence and staying power. When you listen to Budgies first album, you can already pick out Zep/Sab influence from the riffs and song structures. They were no where as dynamic as Zep.

[quote]Dustin wrote:
Anywho, Achilles is also my favorite Zep song. This live version is the best one I’ve ever found.
[/quote]

You hear Plant introducing the song as “The Wheelchair Piece”. Presence was recorded after Plant had a major auto accident. They’ve said he basically recorded the album vox sitting in a wheelchair with a huge cast on his leg.

Whoa, whoa, whoa…

Whiteflash likes Rock Music? WTF?!

What’s next, you play Golf?

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]Dustin wrote:
[/quote]

You hear Plant introducing the song as “The Wheelchair Piece”. Presence was recorded after Plant had a major auto accident. They’ve said he basically recorded the album vox sitting in a wheelchair with a huge cast on his leg.[/quote]

Indeed, this is true.

Killer version of Since I’ve Been Loving You. This is audio from the famous Destroyer Bootleg (Cleveland 1977).

I was able to find a version of Kashmir from this bootleg (off limewire), which is also excellent.