T Nation

Thoughts Regarding Random Crossfit Training

Hi coach,

I would like to hear your thoughts on a question.

I know this would not be optimal, but what if someone in good shape (strength and conditioning) were to simply go to Crossfit classes a couple of times per week (3, 4 or 5 depending on the week). The programming would essentially be random, even if the coaches had something in mind in their programming, because you would be missing half of the classes anyways. I believe that it would be better to program strength periodically or at least have somewhat more structure, but how much progress do you think that this person could make versus someone training with more structure?

I ask because this is basically what I have been doing for the last year and a half and have had trouble lately balancing fatigue, fat levels (I feel that I have to each too much to fuel these workouts versus the amount I should be eating to remain at lower fat levels, went from about 10% back up to 14-15%) and maintaining strength (pretty much all lifts have suffered except Olympic lifts).

Also, if someone were to be stopping standard random Crossfit training, what type of program would you suggest? The goal would be to boost strength, retain athleticism and conditioning, and reduce fat level through dieting (reducing fat being the main goal at first). Just going back to a bodybuilding routine seems like it would bore me after Crossfit and I would feel like I would be losing too much conditioning. I usually run once or twice for week just for fun.

Thanks