Thoughts on YouTube Premium, or Red, or what ever

Anyone on here have YouTube Premium (or Red, or what ever it’s called now)? I’m primarily interested in being able to play with the screen off or when using another app. Any other benefits? $15 a month seems high for that simple functionality.

La’

Some of the movies are free. No ads is a huge plus since they play every minute or so without the premium benefit on the bigger channels (making them impossible to watch just about).
I use the screen off functionality a lot for music like techno mixes and podcasts where the video is sometimes helpful, sometimes not.
They also role new features out to premium users first as psuedo-beta testers. I like it, but I listen to music all day at work on youtube.
You also get a free membership to a youtube channel subscription for one month.
Are they overcharging? Yeah, a little bit, but since I use if often enough it’s worth it.

1 Like

Thanks Cy, I just signed up for the month trial, so we’ll see. I think I’ll like it since I like to listen to some podcasts which are only on YouTube while I drive, and having the screen on is kinda a pain.

La’

At this point a good chunk of the channels I subscribe to have been demonetized by YouTube, which means you’re subjected to their in-video ads anyway. Even respected historians get demonetized for explaining history, resorting to mobile game ads and the like to keep the lights on.

YouTube used to be such a great concept before they got into the business of progressive activism.

1 Like

As a parent of 2 little guys that love to watch videos about trains, space, and all sorts of other stuff where the easiest way to do it is open YouTube and search “steam train videos” etc…I find it well worthwhile to pay for Premium and skip the ads.

If you’re not a parent of little kids who scream at you because an ad comes on before the train videos, may not be as big of a benefit.

YMMV.

1 Like