T Nation

Thoughts on Workout Routine

Put together a random workout routine today, considering doing it, want your thoughts on it.

Workout Day 1: Bench Press, Weighted Pull-Ups, Overhead Press, Barbell Row, Barbell Curls, Tricep Extensions, Sprint (10-15 x 100 meters/20-30 x 50 meters etc. Enough to wreck my body.), optional core training (leg raises, planks, situps etc)

Workout Day 2: Squat, Deadlift, Lunge, Weighted Carry (Yoke carry, farmers carry, overhead carry, etc), upper body calisthenics progression (levers/one arm pullups/flags/planches/handstands), optional core training (leg raises, planks, situps etc),

Day 1
Full Rest/optional light jog
Day 2
Full Rest/optional light jog
Repeat

Enough volume to progress in all movements? Any extra exercise suggestions? Schedule modifications?

First of all, that’s not a schedule, that’s just a list of exercises. No rep scheme, percentages, no indication of how (relatively) heavy you’ll be lifting.

Secondly, I can’t see a way in which you’re going to be able to stick to that outline and complete every lift with the intensity you’d need to make the workout effective. I cannot see how you’re going to squat, deadlift, lunge and do meaningful weighted carries in the same workout. Have a look at the logs of successful lifters on this site (Th3Pwnisher, Reed, HeavyTriple etc.), you’ll notice that their sessions typically consist of a small number of difficult things, plus a couple of extra’s that don’t require the same intensity.

Thirdly, you haven’t stated a goal for this schedule. This will make it far easier for you to zero in on what you really need to do and what is just added fluff. I would recommend picking a solid goal for the next 4-8 weeks that will move you towards your long term goals and then reassess your plan based on that.

[quote]Jonty999 wrote:
Put together a random workout routine[/quote]
I agree. You did.

x2 everything Dagill said. How in the sweet love of all things heavy can you ask if there’s enough volume when you didn’t tell us the volume? And why would you ask what changes need to be made when we don’t know your goal?

Best bet, choose any one of the bajillion programs on the site and stick with it for at least a few months. It’ll do you infinitely more good than whatever concoction you try to whip up on your own.

Are you wanting to train two days a week? If so, the standby is usually an upper/lower split (squats/deadlifts on day one, bench press/ohp on day two) or a full body. If the days are spread apart, try the full body first. Don’t try to cram a five-day split in to two days. Just hit quality movements. And choose a progression scheme, any progression scheme. This is key.

Example -
Monday - Squats - 5x5 (when all five sets are done for five reps, increase weight)
Overhead Press - 5/3/1 (look it up)
Rows - 3 sets of as many reps as possible with a goal of 24 reps
Loaded carry/conditioning of choice
Abs
15-20 minutes to do whatever you want (read: curls)

Thursday - Deadlifts - 5x3 (same progression as squats)
Bench - 5/3/1
Lat pulldowns - same progression as rows
Loaded carry/conditioning of choice
Abs
15-20 minutes to do whatever you want (read: curls)

Really, do anything, as long as you use quality movements and progress in some manner.

Guys, I just bought a new home. Do you think it’s big enough to comfortably fit 5 people?

[quote]jskrabac wrote:
Guys, I just bought a new home. Do you think it’s big enough to comfortably fit 5 people? [/quote]

Have you got a picture of their shoes?