Thoughts on Weightlifting Shoes?

Thibs and others What are you thought on using wl shoes for highbar squats with regards to knee health , i have pretty weak quads and knees myself but i want to build them both up slowly

[quote]dalle wrote:
Thibs and others What are you thought on using wl shoes for highbar squats with regards to knee health , i have pretty weak quads and knees myself but i want to build them both up slowly [/quote]

I do everything in olympic lifting shoes. OL shoes really make weightlifting squat more efficient and easier to perform. BTW I do not like the term high bar squat… you can do a powerlifting-style squat (wider stance, sitting back on the way down, glutes, hips and lower back dominant) with a fairly high bar placement just like you can do a weightlifting-style squat (narrower stance, upright torso, more linear descent, quads dominant) with a fairly low bar position.

But yes, weightlifting shoes with the raised heel will but more of the load on the quadriceps.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]dalle wrote:
Thibs and others What are you thought on using wl shoes for highbar squats with regards to knee health , i have pretty weak quads and knees myself but i want to build them both up slowly [/quote]

I do everything in olympic lifting shoes. OL shoes really make weightlifting squat more efficient and easier to perform. BTW I do not like the term high bar squat… you can do a powerlifting-style squat (wider stance, sitting back on the way down, glutes, hips and lower back dominant) with a fairly high bar placement just like you can do a weightlifting-style squat (narrower stance, upright torso, more linear descent, quads dominant) with a fairly low bar position.

But yes, weightlifting shoes with the raised heel will but more of the load on the quadriceps.[/quote]

I’m glad you said this. I tend to do a weightlifting style squat but I have the bar lower then the typical “high bar” position, the high bar just always felt awkward for me.

I have relative flat fleet. Which developed plantar fasciitis in my left foot. I was squatting and deadlifting barefoot. After squatdays the tendon on the outside of my ankles …just below the ankle socket that sticks out… would be very sore… eventually for the entire week afterwars. I switched to using a high heel/ arched shoe and my problems have went away. It felt slightly akward and more quad involvement at first… but now is more natural smooth movement rep for rep w. No issues.

[quote]Trevorxgage wrote:

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]dalle wrote:

But yes, weightlifting shoes with the raised heel will but more of the load on the quadriceps.[/quote]

I’m glad you said this. I tend to do a weightlifting style squat but I have the bar lower then the typical “high bar” position, the high bar just always felt awkward for me.[/quote]

That’s exactly how I squat.

thats for your answers all of you :slight_smile: , and yes Thibs i agree

[quote]barbedwired wrote:
I have relative flat fleet. Which developed plantar fasciitis in my left foot. I was squatting and deadlifting barefoot. After squatdays the tendon on the outside of my ankles …just below the ankle socket that sticks out… would be very sore… eventually for the entire week afterwars. I switched to using a high heel/ arched shoe and my problems have went away. It felt slightly akward and more quad involvement at first… but now is more natural smooth movement rep for rep w. No issues.[/quote]

Hay Barbedwired,

I had an issue with plantar fasciitis also and got it fixed on my own. There was a little crazy goal I had earlier this year. I wanted to be able to run “Run 6 and squat 6” on the same day. Personally crushed my 10k at 50.39 and hit the full squat with 600.

One of the prices I paid was being over trained by race day. I never tried something this stupid so my timing was off. Ended up with the plantar fasiitis issue 2 weeks before the race and by this time, I had all my chips pushed to the middle of the table. Here’s what I did; I shaved the top of my foot and duct taped it over the top and under the arch. Yup, duct tape. I also have flat feet and what I found was no arch in any shoe was going to stop all that fascia from flaring out. The tape holds it all together and inline.

Your hands and feet are similar in structure; lay your hand flat on a table; that’s a flat foot. Now with the other hand reach over and squeeze your hand together, include the thumb. Now that’s more of an arch and that’s what the tape does. Try it, I noticed a difference right away and it even took away my pain in the morning.