Thoughts on Triple Rest-Pause?

Scott, your answer is interesting. Thanks.

Of HIT programs, Doggcrap program/style has got the most consistent feedback/resuts on these forums over the years BY FAR.
And yeah its tough, and not great as a year round approach/best done as a blast once or twice a year

I would also say 80% of his principles are similar to Dr Dardens( one work set, limited volume etc)

1 Like

Underrecovery =/= overtraining, though. The diet advice on DC is to eat boatloads of food. Not seeing extra results after increased effort CAN be overtraining, but it’s more often than not inadequate nutrition.

1 Like

The muscle rounds that Scott Stevenson writes of in Fortitude Training also look really interesting. That will probably be what I do next. Will probably also do DC soon. Dante, Scott both great resources for information. Excited to try their respective programs.

Those were the days when I ate every form of amino acid/ protein etc available . I never found eating a ton of stuff ever really made much difference except I would just get fatter.
Scott

1 Like

Food can protect you from Volume, but it can’t protect you from Intensity.

That’s an interesting and useful observation.

3 Likes

Where can I get more details on FT, w/o forking out $149?

Is Doggcrapp applicable for natural trainees?

He discusses it a lot on YouTube through podcasts and the actual ebook is only $20 on his site. I believe the $149 is for more specialized plans. But the main tenants are:

Loading days- this is your typical heaviest weight for 6-12 reps to failure focusing on progressive overload

Pump Sets- a light weight, high rep set taken to failure that can even include things like 21s

Muscle Rounds- similar to a cluster set, 4 continues reps, 5 deep breaths (or 10 seconds) and repeat for a total of 6 sets of 4. You will have a failure point somewhere in set 4 or 5 and then you will drop the weight 10-30% to to finish off the the last 1-2 sets. If you didn’t reach failure by the 6th set, instead of stopping at 4, take that set to failure. Essentially you’ll always be doing around 24 total reps for this set. You can progress either by trying to reach failure later with the same weight in future workouts or just increasing the weight and keeping failure around the 4th set. It’s suggested to pick a weight that would be about a 15rm generally and have an idea in mind of what weight you will drop to after the failure set that you know you’ll be able to finish the last 4 to 8 reps with.

He has a lot of video demonstrations and even a “lecture” on muscle rounds on YouTube that could perhaps give you a better visualization of how it works. But these different set types are done on different days, for example, Monday might be an upper loading and lower pump day, Wednesday lower loading and upper pump, Friday upper body muscle rounds, Saturday lower body muscle rounds. That’s how I’m scheduling it. I really love the flexibility!

1 Like

NOT at the prescribed frequency.
AND
NOT doing 3-set RP and 30-60 sec end statics for EVERY exercise.

2 Likes

Lol, DC training is absolutely applicable for anyone natural, doing everything as prescribed in that program.

2 Likes

Looked at some of those Fortitude vids and I’ll be GD’d if “Doctor” Scott Stevenson isn’t none other than Mr. Ryan Ergo aka David Feather aka Mr. Whoknowswhatelse!! (4 TF sets with bands guy from several years ago)

LMFAO… No, it isn’t. Maybe for about 2-3 weeks at a time, but that’s it.

I believe after that point you would do the “cruise” phase.

Sure, but the program as prescribed calls for "Blast Periods’ of 6-12 weeks before the “Cruise”. To paraphrase the conversation between Scott Entsminger and FlatsFarmer: You can’t eat your way past overtraining — I doubt even 12 hrs sleep/night would do it either!!

2 Likes

Agreed, adequate sleep, controlled stress, and diet merely optimize your recovery - whatever that is for an individual which we know varies person to person. It’s like saying, “I am going to exceed my genetics naturally.” Nope.

1 Like

One effective strategy from Doggcrap is using on set of lifts for “A” week, then another set for “B” week. So even though your not resting from the gym, you’re resting from the specific lift for 2 weeks before you need to beat what you did last time.

I used the “Breakdowns” style for awhile last summer, and it was Intense. Using that week to week rotation was the only thing that let me keep going.

2 Likes

That’s the same strategy as FT! Loading days cycle through 3 exercises. I definitely want to get a DC log going at some point soon.

1 Like

As an 8-12 week blast, once or twice a year -absolutely. Last couple weeks will/should feel a bit fried but just deload for a week and move on to an easier program and you will be fine.

As other said you need to eat and sleep big and rotate movements religiously.
Dante also doesnt have guys do rest-pause on everything these days, and ups the rep range for older guys and stuff like gunz work -check out his IG lots of good tweaks

3 Likes

Right nuff, that is him. Knew I’d seen his face before.