T Nation

Thoughts on This Schedule?

I was thinking of starting a new routine for bulking up and getting stronger. I was thinking of a three day, full body schedule.
Here 's what I have so far:

Workout #1:
Dumbell Bench Press
Dumbell Squats
Wide Grip Pullups
Dumbell Deadlifts
Dumbell Curls
Dumbell Lateral Raises

Workout #2:
Dumbell Rows
Dumbell Lunges
Dumbell Overhead Press
Dumbell Flys
Tricep extensions
curl variation

And then I was thinking of scheduling it like:
Mon: Workout 1
Tues: rest
Wed:Workout 2
Thurs:rest
Fri: Workout 1
Sat:rest
Sun:rest
and then start with workout 2 on monday, workout 1 on wed, workout 2 on fri, etc.

OR I would do workout 1 three times a week, for 2 weeks, and then switch to doing workout 2 three times a week for 2 weeks, and then repeat.

Which do you think is better?
Also, how many reps and sets should i be doing? And how long should i rest between each set?
Thanks ahead of time.

For you as a beginner, it really doesn’t matter. You will improve with anything you do. Just be consistent and do it for at least a couple months and you will see gains, at least in strength if nothing else.

I think a high frequency, high volume program would work well for you in the beginning since you probably won’t be using very heavy weights anyway. It will help your body become more efficient at the movements.

For sets and reps, 3x10 is a good place to start. I wouldn’t worry about timing your rest at this point…just go again when you feel ready. Probably take 2-3 minutes at most between sets.

Actually, I’m not really a beginner, I just posted in the beginner section because I didnt know where else to put it. I’ve been working out on and off for about 3 years. I’ve been doing chad waterberry’s harbinger hypertophy program (http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/totalbody_training) for about 6 weeks, and I wanted to try something different.