T Nation

Thoughts on This Routine for Squats

It goes as follows. I squat 130 currently… I lost about 20kg from a back injury but I’m getting back there.

Tuesday/Thursday/saturday

50kgx10
60kgx10

80kgx8
90kgx8
100kgx8

110kgx5x5

Its a bit high on volume because Im a novice squatter, so I guess my coach wants me to get my cns programmed for squating.

Let me know what you think…

I think you need to trust your coach a little more than to ask random internet people, most of which are newbies, what they think of his program.

Well, thats not really a routine… Its just a single workout. And it just looks like 5x5 with a lot of warm-up sets. I dont really see the need for so much warm-ups, and 5x5 is a good routine, but what is your overal plan, as ive pointed out this is just one workout.

And what sport do you play.

Nothing wrong with good old fashioned progressive overload. and volume is a great way to get your body ready for heavier training down the road.
and listen to daraz. your coach is your coach, follow his programming, even if it might be poor (which im not saying it is), purely out of respect.

[quote]dankid wrote:
Well, thats not really a routine… Its just a single workout. And it just looks like 5x5 with a lot of warm-up sets. I dont really see the need for so much warm-ups, and 5x5 is a good routine, but what is your overal plan, as ive pointed out this is just one workout.

And what sport do you play.[/quote]

I throw the shot/discus,but this routine is for weightlifting by a weightlifting coach

[quote]chadochocinco wrote:
dankid wrote:

I throw the shot/discus,but this routine is for weightlifting by a weightlifting coach[/quote]

Hmmm? Is this coach YOUR coach? and did he specifically tell you to do this program, or did you just get the program off the net or somewhere?

If its your coach, then the best bet is to just do what he says. Follow it for 6 weeks, see if you get stronger. If you dont, your coach should figure out why not and make changes. If he doesn’t, find a new coach.

But ya, 5x5 in general is a good program, and for your sport it seems like a great idea.

[quote]dankid wrote:
chadochocinco wrote:
dankid wrote:

I throw the shot/discus,but this routine is for weightlifting by a weightlifting coach

Hmmm? Is this coach YOUR coach? and did he specifically tell you to do this program, or did you just get the program off the net or somewhere?

If its your coach, then the best bet is to just do what he says. Follow it for 6 weeks, see if you get stronger. If you dont, your coach should figure out why not and make changes. If he doesn’t, find a new coach.

But ya, 5x5 in general is a good program, and for your sport it seems like a great idea.[/quote]

cool, thanks

[quote]chadochocinco wrote:
It goes as follows. I squat 130 currently… I lost about 20kg from a back injury but I’m getting back there.

Tuesday/Thursday/saturday

50kgx10
60kgx10

80kgx8
90kgx8
100kgx8

110kgx5x5

Its a bit high on volume because Im a novice squatter, so I guess my coach wants me to get my cns programmed for squating.

Let me know what you think…[/quote]

This program looks good to me for a Novice/Beginner. I would not follow it for an extended period of time but it is a great way to build strength quickly on the squat.

It doesn’t make sense that your two heaviest days are only separated by one off day.

You might benefit from switching the Tuesday and Thursday lifts - you’d want more rest in between your moderate and heavy days, so by switching the two days, you have an easy day where you don’t go over 50% in between, which might help for recovery, plus two off days. You’d also have two days entirely off between your heavy day (Saturday) and your moderate day (which I’m suggesting you put on Tuesday).