T Nation

Thoughts on This Program?

I’ve been training seriously for a few months now and have seen some progress on lifts but not a lot of muscle gain. I didn’t start eating well until this year so I should be seeing some improvement in that area in the next months/year.
But enough of that. I thought I’d throw my program up here for you to criticize or evaluate.

I’m 17 years old, 187cm and weigh somewhere around 75kg.

So here goes:

Monday - Chest
Incline dumbbell press- 4 sets of reps 10
Dumbbell flies- 4/10
Assisted dips- 3/8

Tuesday - rest

Wednesday - Legs
Squat/front squat- 3/10
Leg press(high pad, glutes)- 4/10
Glute-ham raises- 3 sets of however many I can do

Thursday- rest

Friday- Shoulders
Push press- 4/10
Seated barbell press- 3/10
Lateral raises- 3/10
Shrugs(if the weight room isn’t crowded)- 2/10

Saturday- Back
Deadlift- 1/10
Bent over barbell rows- 3/10
Assisted pull-ups- 4/10
Bent over barbell rows- 3/10
One arm dumbbell row- 3/10

Sunday- rest

As you can see it is a pretty boring 3x10 program. I still have the lifting capacity of a twelve year old girl, but my squat has improved a lot over the last few months. I was sick for like a week in December and couldn’t eat shit and lost 5kg(!).

tl;dr: Is this program any good for a beginner or should I switch over to a 5x5 program or something like that? Not wanting to spend 3-4 months doing something like this if it is crap.

Comments are welcome, people!

IMO its OK but remember #1 you want to get biger youll have to eat for it, you have to have excess intake, be it clean food or so called dirty food the total intake needs to be more then you burn.

The program. Its OK. Your an Infant in training age and have honestly no clue how you react to training, whats better whats worse. I would suggest spend a LOT of time doing programs that are designed and proven to work, like the 1000’s here or hire someone to program you. Find out what works what doesnt start to build a vocabulary with your body.

If I were to make one chanhe to your program it would be Up the intensity and lower the resp on your main lift each day. You ned to build strength to build mass.

There is a big difference in a More advanced trainee doing sets of ten at say a few hundred lbs with a set of DB’s and a beginner doing sets of ten with 20lb DB’s. Load does matter in that instance. I would drop to say an 8x3 or 5x5 for the core Big lifts and give that your all.

The Squat and pressing, I would go even lower on the DL and work in the 1-3 rep range. Use loads that are HARD but hat you can get and aim to make slow stead progress, a lb here a set or rep there.

Cheers

Hope that helps

You have an arm day in there too? I think you missed it.

If you still can’t do dips or pull-ups with your own bodyweight, you have no business IMO doing all those other exercises. You don’t need flies, you only need one vertical presses, you don’t need leg press, you don’t need two different kinds of rows (choose one). Add lunges and a little bit of direct arm, ab, and calf work. I would also start learning how to clean (therefore dropping the shrugs).

I’d try TBT or something along those lines.

[quote]icehawk wrote:
You have an arm day in there too? I think you missed it.

If you still can’t do dips or pull-ups with your own bodyweight, you have no business IMO doing all those other exercises. You don’t need flies, you only need one vertical presses, you don’t need leg press, you don’t need two different kinds of rows (choose one). Add lunges and a little bit of direct arm, ab, and calf work. I would also start learning how to clean (therefore dropping the shrugs).

I’d try TBT or something along those lines. [/quote]

“No business” doing other exercises? Do you not understand that if a person can’t do pullups, doing various exercises for their arms and back are only going to help them get to doing it faster?

You people act as if doing a normal amount of exercises to body build is some kind of entitlement issue.

Don’t “need” the leg press? Well technically we don’t NEED to be doing any of this bodybuilding nonsense, so let’s all take pride in what we DON’T do instead.

If the leg press is helping the OP to build bigger thighs and strengthen his squat there is no reason he shouldn’t be doing them.

And why in gods name does he need to learn how to do cleans?

Do you even lift weights, icehawk?

[quote]mr popular wrote:
“No business” doing other exercises? Do you not understand that if a person can’t do pullups, doing various exercises for their arms and back are only going to help them get to doing it faster?
[/quote]

If a person can’t do pull-ups, it means he’s a novice lifter. That means that he should stick to the basics. For a back/bis day, that means deadlifts, assisted pull-ups, some kind of row, and a few curls. What good is repeating the movement again with dumbbells going to do if he already knocked out a few hardcore sets with a barbell?

There’s better exercises out there. What good is leg press for a newbie if he’s already squatting? Add in a lunge (or some kind of unilateral movement) and that’s enough for quads.

Because they build huge traps. Obviously you don’t do them so you wouldn’t know what I’m talking about.

Anyways, the overall tone of your message was pretty rude. Well, actually you should like a whiny little pussy upset about something in your life. I posted the first message to give my opinions to the OP, and I did, so I’m going to be on my way. You can cry to me about this again but I’m done with this thread.

To OP: Good luck.

I personally have nothing against curls and leg presses and extensions and the like BUT they should be the gravy or desert. Done for a reason a weakness, or lagging part and AFTER the main course.

Like mom always said you got to eat your meat and taters or you dont get desert. It’s the meat and taters that get real marked progress and growth not the side dishes.

Personally I’d throw in one bicep and one tricep isolation excercise.

Apart from that x2 everything Phill said

[quote]Phill wrote:
I personally have nothing against curls and leg presses and extensions and the like BUT they should be the gravy or desert. Done for a reason a weakness, or lagging part and AFTER the main course.

Like mom always said you got to eat your meat and taters or you dont get desert. It’s the meat and taters that get real marked progress and growth not the side dishes.
[/quote]

Well the OP already does squats before leg presses and so forth. I think we can all agree that the old bodybuilding adage of “work big to small” holds true here - even though no one said otherwise, so I’m not sure what you’re commenting on exactly.

You do leg presses and leg extensions after the “main course” (squatting) because it makes your quads bigger and stronger. That’s your “reason”, and if you’re in the beginner or intermediate stage, ALL your bodyparts are a “weakness” or “lagging part”.

dude if you wanna get big you need to train like ronnie coleman or dorrian yates.

we can start with something a bit easier though-
Mesomorph training program!
CYCLE: Two Days On, One Day Off, One Day On, One Day Off, One Day On, One Day Off

LEVEL: completely insane!
GOAL: Muscle Size And Strength

Monday: Chest/Biceps

Chest
? Dumbbell Presses: 4 Sets x 8 Reps
? Flat Bench Presses: 4 Sets x 8 Reps
? Flat Dumbbell Flyes: 3 Sets x 8 Reps
? Cable Crossovers: 2 Sets x 12 Reps

Biceps
? Barbell Curls: 3 Sets x 8 Reps
? Close EZ Bar Curls: 3 Sets x 8 Reps

Tuesday: Legs

? Leg Curls: 4 Sets x 10 Reps
? Leg Extensions: 4 Sets x 10 Reps
? Leg Presses: 4 Sets x 12 Reps
? Squats: 4 Sets x 12 Reps
? Stiff Legged Deadlifts: 4 Sets x 12 Reps

Wednesday: OFF

Thursday: Back/Calves

Back
? Barbell Shrugs: 3 Sets x 10 Reps
? High Pulls: 3 Sets x 10 Reps
? Rear Shrugs: 3 Sets x 10 Reps
? Reverse Barbell Rows: 3 Sets x 10 Reps
? T-Bar Rows: 3 Sets x 10 Reps
? Dumbbell Rows: 3 Sets x 10 Reps

Calves
? Standing Calf Raises: 4 Sets x 12 Reps
? Seated Calf Raises: 4 Sets x 12 Reps

Saturday: Shoulders/Triceps

Shoulders
? Machine Laterals: 3 Sets x 10 Reps
? Dumbbell Laterals: 3 Sets x 10 Reps
? Side Dumbbell Laterals: 3 Sets x 10 Reps

Triceps
? Dumbbell Presses: 3 Sets x 10 Reps
? Tricep Pressdowns: 3 Sets x 10 Reps
? Barbell Presses: 3 Sets x 10 Reps

Sunday: OFF

remember ronnie was natural he just drank alot of milk… keep that in mind :wink:

I actually do biceps on Fridays too. Gonna add triceps to Mondays. Upping the number of sets for the squat seems like a good idea to me, but I will keep the leg press in because I can’t work the glutes too well with just squatting. And no, I don’t row that much :wink:
is it a good idea to just dump the dumbbell rows for moar barbell rows?

Thanks for the input so far :slight_smile:

I am a skinny bitch ecto :frowning:
And to those of you worrying about my eating habits, I feel pretty good about my diet right now (eating around 3500Cal, eating a lot of fat and protein but not worrying too much about carbs).
If I put on a bit of fat, I will cut it off later (I’ve never been close to being fat in my life though).