Thoughts on This 5/3/1 Variation

[quote]ultralars wrote:
Jim wendler posted this routine on his site:

whats your opinion on it?

And would you choose this over Boring but big? [/quote]

The routine is fine. Something good to start off with but I would imagine dropping back to 3 or 4 exercises and being more weakness focused would suit a lot better in later waves.

[quote]plateau wrote:
All I would say is for me skullcrusher movements are needed for balanced arms, I’d swap them for pushdowns.[/quote]

The issue I have with this is that the program in the link is a snapshot of how to kick things off. You won’t be doing that exact same layout wave in, wave out.

I wouldn’t deviate from that setup if I were to do it, however I would alternate the tri pushdown with a tate press / skullcrusher type movement every wave or two.

Dependent on ones benching style, the load on the triceps can be plenty to cover the balanced arms issue over the medium term (3 to 6 months). It is a very small area overall. You will get all three heads firing regardless of whether you are pushing down, pushing up, pushing parallel to the floor. There is a definite emphasis component, but nothing that is going to throw your physique goals so out of whack that it compromises your arm development.

The main contention I am trying to make here is that when planning to do 5/3/1 you should have a rough plan on where you want to be in 6 to 12 months as opposed to tackling it wave by wave.

[quote]ultralars wrote:

[quote]plateau wrote:

[quote]ultralars wrote:

[quote]plateau wrote:
All I would say is for me skullcrusher movements are needed for balanced arms, I’d swap them for pushdowns.

Personally I did years of standing, laying and seated leg curls and made little hamstring progress - maybe switch these for RDLs/SLDLs/GMs. Or maybe not as you’re doing DLs and hypers.

This doesn’t mean I hate leg curls or pushdowns just they are not the most effective exercises FOR ME.[/quote]

Whats your setup? [/quote]

On what? My routine or the above exercises?[/quote]

Your routine
[/quote]

Have a bit of ill-health and injuries, so stepping back from weights and just doing some boring linear progression for now. Just reclaiming some lost strength and LBM.

Essentially first lift is main goal, I have desired reps at heavier weight than last time, so last time i got 100x8, this time 100x10, after that 100x12. Then up weight, trying to be patient and not jump to 12 even if I think I have it in me.

So “assistance stuff” - I have a target rep range, and aim is compare to last time do either: more reps, more weight or last resort more sets.

Basically I have 2 exercise rotation…

Weights are ramped for main exercise and anything else where the movement pattern is different to anything done before

Exercises are in order of priority as being a dad, and working in IT means I can’t always be sure of when I can get to the gym. So if I miss something it tends to be less important (to me)
Evening workouts are a lower priority.

After any workout is done, time permitting I add ONE of the following: shoulder rehab/abs/SS cardio/complexes

Ultimately see myself going back to 531 or just have some fun with a mountain dogg programme.

Monday AM

1. Flat/Incline BB
  2. Incline/ Flat DB
  3. HS Cross body press (CT invented thing)/ pec deck with 2 sec squeeze

Monday PM

1. V/Straight bar pushdowns with fat gripz when I remember…
  2. Smith wide reverse grip bench press/ tricep bar dips
  3. Rolling extensions/PJR pullover
  4. Floor JM Press/ Medows kickbacks

Tuesday AM

1. Medows row/deadstop 1 arm row
  2. HS low row/ 1 arm BB row
  3. Pullup/chin-up
  4. Kayak row/ seated cable row with 2 sec hold
  5. Rack-chins/close neutral lat pulldown

Tuesday PM

1. Hammer/Pinwheel curl
  2. pronated DB curl/EZ curl
  3. 1 arm DB/BB preacher curl - with 2 sec squeeze

Thursday AM

1. Sumo DL/low rackpull (3" below knee)
  2. Hack squat/Leg Press
  3. Good Morning/Romanian DL
  4. Back Squat
  5. Leg extension/leg curl
  6. Lunge/Split squat

Thursday PM

1. Seated calf extension/ toe press

Friday AM

1. Push press/ Military Press
  2. chest supported rear delts/rear delt machine
  3. Incline lat raise/lean away lat raise/medows lat raise
  4. DB MP/High incline smith press - only 3/4 of the movement
  5. DB/incline DB shrugs - with 2 sec hold

[quote]Teledin wrote:
Dependent on ones benching style, the load on the triceps can be plenty to cover the balanced arms issue over the medium term (3 to 6 months). [/quote]

You’re right the style or maybe even the individuals leverages are probably important. Just after the personal experience of 3 elbow injuries I know that my triceps were less balanced and I could see the impact in the mirror from having to dump extension stuff. Which for a BB is depressing stuff.

neglecting my calves made me have Plantar fasciitis, be sure to put some calves work independent of the program you do.