T Nation

Thoughts On The Ultimate Split

Thoughts?

I like the idea behind it, and I think I’ll try it out once my off-season begins.

I’m following something very much like this right now. It works well if you have additional training for your sport as it is lower in volume so you will still be able to train hard for your sport.

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
I’m following something very much like this right now. It works well if you have additional training for your sport as it is lower in volume so you will still be able to train hard for your sport.[/quote]

I don’t expect to be playing my sport much, maybe once a week.

I was thinking about adding in tempo/skill work for 2-3 of the off days.

Do you see any benefits in increasing the volume? My last off-season I tryed a 4 day split. I had good gains, but I had to take too many breaks because of injuries.

It is pretty good for a three day a week routine. If you have specific weak point areas you may need more stuff for them, but overall I like it.

I don’t expect to use exactly the same template, just the main idea.

What are the pros/cons of this type of routine (4 days) compared to an AB split (4days vs 2days)?

this is the ultimate split IMHO…

heres my thoughts: like everything else, it sounds as good as they make it sound. they made it sound pretty good. in addition to that, the logic also seems pretty sound.

but, theres no “perfect split”! try it, give it 3-4 weeks and see how you are responding to it. your body is the only entity that can tell you how well it works. good luck.

One of the great things about it is its flexibility. You can choose the movements you want to fit your goals. I am not following it now since I’m focused on lower body, but this summer I will start using a version of this split as I incorporate upper body days into my routine.