Thoughts on Squat Briefs?

[quote]Hanley wrote:
aussiethrower wrote:
http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=05-093-training

in this article it refers to wearing “looser-than-meet” gear. What does that mean?. Im basically after a pair of groove briefs to protect my hip and groins when i do DE days and throw the shot?
Any suggestions??

Meet gear = the tightest shit possible for maximum carryover. It’ll take a long time to get on, and it will hurt like hell. But you don’t wear it ALL The time so you just shut up and take the pain.[/quote]
Thanks for your reply - i think i didnt explain myself correctly, in this article it mentions that Louie Simmons recommends that pro athletes should wear PL gear

according to the Inzer site i would need would be size 19 but is that “meet” fit so would i need the next size up or two sizes up?
When I throw i need far more mobility than when i lift
cheers

[quote]aussiethrower wrote:

Thanks for your reply - i think i didnt explain myself correctly, in this article it mentions that Louie Simmons recommends that pro athletes should wear PL gear

“Louie Simmons has said he thinks 90% of most groin and hamstring pulls could be alleviated in pro sports by the use of powerlifting style briefs.”

according to the Inzer site i would need would be size 19 but is that “meet” fit so would i need the next size up or two sizes up?
When I throw i need far more mobility than when i lift
cheers

[/quote]

Hmmm I can only assume that Louie means wear briefs that give some passive support with out trying to get a big carryover out of them.

If that’s the case (and assuming the brief sizing on the inzer site is to maximise carryover) I would say just go once size up from what’s recommend.

But like I said, alot of assumptions there!

If you’re looking for “looser than meet” inzer gear, I would go up 2 sizes if you are not experienced with gear. Most lifters I know tend to go up one size for Inzer and that is not going for loose fitting.

I bought the Inzer briefs . we used the sizing chart from the Website …and had to send them back …twice . no way in hell that first pair was getting past my knees .

not sure about poundage increase , but increased support is noticeable ; hips and groin feel a bit more stable . the pair I settled with still take a bit of gruntin’ to get on . but not as much as a meet-sized suit.

someone mentioned loose gear . I started using a loose squat suit (straps down) after I shit blood a couple weeks in a row after squat/deadlift night . havent had a problem since…possibly a coincedence .

thank you for all your replies

I have no experince with powerlifting gear at all but my hips used to get real sore from squats and now are ussally real good now that I use my Rehband warm pants

http://www.jackalsgym.com/aspx/str_rehband.aspx

just a thought

[quote]KO421 wrote:
I have no experince with powerlifting gear at all but my hips used to get real sore from squats and now are ussally real good now that I use my Rehband warm pants

just a thought[/quote]
cheers - i will look into them - are they that much different to the inzer power pant
http://www.inzernet.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=PWR_PNT#

[quote]aussiethrower wrote:
KO421 wrote:

just a thought
cheers - i will look into them - are they that much different to the inzer power pant
http://www.inzernet.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=PWR_PNT#
[/quote]

They seem like the same idea, I know just about every guy I see doing strongman uses the Rehbands, they keep everything warm and tight but don’t restrict motion at all, if your just looking for a bit of support they are probaly good enough, if you order some rehband’s it is probaly a good idea to order them a size to small, I ordered a set of larges and a medium and the mediums fell way better as they are alot tighter.

I will second the rehbands. The power pants are little more than ultra tight underwear, they suck. My bud just got cheap and didn’t want to spend the money on rehbands, got the power pants instead. They are now on Ebay.

I have heard from a ton of guys now that the preds are the best briefs on the market. I would love to try a pair out. Although, the metal ace breifs look pretty stout.

Monopoly

Not to butt in on the conversation, but I just started doing wide-stance squats and I’m going to be moving to sumo deads for a little while.

My hips have been very sore and occasionally a little pained, so I was thinking of getting some briefs. The Frantz ones sound good, but how does one go about ordering them? I found this:

www.chicagopowerlifting.com/PowerStore.html

but I don’t see how to order a pair o’ briefs (it says “Paypal soon”).

Thanks.

Edit: Just to clarify, I’m not asking for customer service on that website, just if its the right place to order them.

[quote]Flooghans wrote:
Not to butt in on the conversation, but I just started doing wide-stance squats and I’m going to be moving to sumo deads for a little while.

My hips have been very sore and occasionally a little pained, so I was thinking of getting some briefs. The Frantz ones sound good, but how does one go about ordering them? I found this:

www.chicagopowerlifting.com/PowerStore.html

but I don’t see how to order a pair o’ briefs (it says “Paypal soon”).

Thanks.

Edit: Just to clarify, I’m not asking for customer service on that website, just if its the right place to order them.[/quote]

Can’t help with where to get them, but I will say try and get some!

I’ve just switched to sumo and its beating my hips up extremely bad. In fact I’ve had to switch to close stance squats to try and let them recover it’s that bad!

[quote]BigDirk wrote:
anyone else have thoughts on the crain briefs?[/quote]

IMO the crain’s briefs are the best made of the ones I have tried.

The Inzer power pants are horrible, I got little to no support out of them and no “pop” whatsoever. They were like wearing thicker spandex that comes up to your nipples. They are way too lose in the hips and ass even when sized right.

No offense, but I think the way the Inzer powerpants are made to work if you have a huge huge gut, and it works by sticking to your belly. If you are slender in the waist, I dont think they will work as well.

I never tried the Metals so I don’t know, but I would go with the Crain’s.

The Crains are perfect. They are not too high, not too tight, even though I used to put them on with suit slippers. They fit like a glove, and you get nice pop out of the bottom.

My 2 cents.

[quote]Monopoly19 wrote:
I will second the rehbands. The power pants are little more than ultra tight underwear, they suck. My bud just got cheap and didn’t want to spend the money on rehbands, got the power pants instead. They are now on Ebay.

I have heard from a ton of guys now that the preds are the best briefs on the market. I would love to try a pair out. Although, the metal ace breifs look pretty stout.

Monopoly[/quote]

I have predators and the metal ace. Metal Ace blow away anything I’ve ever tried.

I test drove them just this past weekend and it took 505 before I got to parallel, and then it was still 2 whites territory. 525 was probably good to go. Although I forgot my gym judges so don’t know for sure. Prepare to spend minimum 15 minutes getting them on.

The preds kick ass too, but I can get down with 405 in them at my competition weight. I use my preds for training now. They go on in about 1 minute.

If u had to choose between Heavy Duty Groove Briefs or Power Pants which would be the best choice for someone who just squats in his garage? My reps range from high down to dbls.

[quote]Garage Squatter wrote:
If u had to choose between Heavy Duty Groove Briefs or Power Pants which would be the best choice for someone who just squats in his garage? My reps range from high down to dbls.[/quote]

Go with the loose groove briefs. Pick whatever size is close to your measurements. Usually when you order you can tell them your skill level or for what reason you need them sized to.

When you get the briefs, try them on and without any weight, squat down as low as you can. If you can hit parallel (and not much further) with no weight on your back, they should be just about right for the casual lifter. This sounds like what you want them for. Not so hardcore that it changes your form dramatically, but enough to give you some pop out of the hole to handle some bigger weights.

For competition purposes, this is way too loose. You shouldn’t be able to get anywhere near parallel with properly sized briefs.

PM me if you need any other help.

David

Don’t for get that Titan makes good briefs too.

Take a look at Priscilla Ribic’s site ( plgearonline.com) or Mike Adelmann’s site ( liftinglarge.com) for the Titan gear. You can email or call and they will get you the right sized gear quickly. Just have the measurements they request.

The single ply Dual Quad briefs ($45-50?) are awesome. They have another style that’s a little cheaper too.

We’re bumping two year old threads?

Anyway…

I’ll second the Titan briefs. I’ve got a pair that I use once in a while.

[quote]mattwray wrote:
Monopoly19 wrote:

Monopoly

I have predators and the metal ace. Metal Ace blow away anything I’ve ever tried.

I test drove them just this past weekend and it took 505 before I got to parallel, and then it was still 2 whites territory. 525 was probably good to go. Although I forgot my gym judges so don’t know for sure. Prepare to spend minimum 15 minutes getting them on.

The preds kick ass too, but I can get down with 405 in them at my competition weight. I use my preds for training now. They go on in about 1 minute.
[/quote]

Thanks for that info!! I’m just about ready for a dead suit, will get some breifs along with it. This helps. Thanks again.

Monopoly

im looking for a pair of briefs as well. 40 if anyone has them. just pm me thanks!