Thoughts on Running After Lifting

I am wondering about the effects of running after lifting? Pros Cons benefits etc. Is it fine after lifting upper body but not so much after lower body, or does that matter at all?

I am working towards a strength and conditioning work out, so any thoughts geared towards that would be much appreciated. Like running later in the day after lifting, incorporating conditioning into lifting regiments.

Thanks for your time

i would say that as long as you’re takin care of your pre and post workout nutrition, you’ll be fine. i like to jog for a while after i do legs to help recover. maybe even do some sprints if i have any gas left in the tank. works great. although if you’re trying to improve your running i would do it on its own separate day.

as long as its not affecting your strength. If it is hindering your progress in getting stronger, stop.

Personally I do not do any cardio. I see no reason to.

Other rugby players I have spoken to seem to agree with me, it’s better to do your lower body strength training before running.

There was an article on here late last year that discussed where to put HIIT in a strength training program. If I recall correctly, it had HIIT after legs on the same day.

whenver i squat or dead I run beforehand. Personally I feel that it helps warm me up, get the blood flowing and loosen up the hips for the deep A2G squats. (But then its literally 50 degrees where i train so its pretty much the only way for me to warm up beforehand)

Do your strength training session prior to your running, the two can work together quite well just ensure your paying extra close attention to your pre, peri and post workout nutrition. Consider doing your conditioning in the form of circuits or sprint intervals to avoid putting any added stress on your lower body.

[quote]d1ft wrote:
I am wondering about the effects of running after lifting? Pros Cons benefits etc. Is it fine after lifting upper body but not so much after lower body, or does that matter at all?

I am working towards a strength and conditioning work out, so any thoughts geared towards that would be much appreciated. Like running later in the day after lifting, incorporating conditioning into lifting regiments.

Thanks for your time[/quote]

I try to give myself a recovery period between them. Normally I do strength training first, then a few hours later do any cardio.

Doing cardio first just makes me too tired to get good strength work. Also, I’ve been doing running for years so I find it a bit nice to zone out. In other words, it’s busy work more than training now. (But I’m turning in to a geezer, so I have to keep my pulmonary plumbing in good shape).

Circuits are another option. One I particularly like in summer is to mix in running with other exercises. So run, upper body pull, then push, lower body squat or dead then repeat. This is more conditioning than strength training though and mixing modes means higher weights for the lower body aren’t going to happen.

– jj