T Nation

Thought's on Pea Protein

Just wondering if anyone has experience with it and is currently using it?

Looking at pea protein for an all around protein supplement, not peri workout or anything like that.

My wallet is interested due to price, but I have read mixed reviews on taste/mixability.

The only think I have come across is that it is pretty high in branched chain amino acids. I’d rather have 15 grams of Biotest BCAA or Leucine structured peptides than 45 grams of pea protein though.

[quote]StateOfPsychosis wrote:
Just wondering if anyone has experience with it and is currently using it?

Looking at pea protein for an all around protein supplement, not peri workout or anything like that.

My wallet is interested due to price, but I have read mixed reviews on taste/mixability.

Tastes wretched to me. Like you poured a can of green pea juice from a can into a shake. And the after taste stays a while. It is cheaper than good whey products but I couldn’t stomach it. Protein ratios aren’t near as good as whey either. Thumbs down for me, unless you just have to have an alternative to whey or other solid protein sources.

[/quote]

[quote]mertdawg wrote:
The only think I have come across is that it is pretty high in branched chain amino acids. I’d rather have 15 grams of Biotest BCAA or Leucine structured peptides than 45 grams of pea protein though. [/quote]

Why is that?

[quote]Grove wrote:

[quote]StateOfPsychosis wrote:
Just wondering if anyone has experience with it and is currently using it?

Looking at pea protein for an all around protein supplement, not peri workout or anything like that.

My wallet is interested due to price, but I have read mixed reviews on taste/mixability.

Tastes wretched to me. Like you poured a can of green pea juice from a can into a shake. And the after taste stays a while. It is cheaper than good whey products but I couldn’t stomach it. Protein ratios aren’t near as good as whey either. Thumbs down for me, unless you just have to have an alternative to whey or other solid protein sources.

[/quote]
[/quote]

That’s what turns me off the most about it, taste haha. I had some whey concentrate recently and noticed that my sinuses react and I feel bloated from it. Am just curious about pea, being that it is cheaper than isolates.

[quote]StateOfPsychosis wrote:

[quote]mertdawg wrote:
The only think I have come across is that it is pretty high in branched chain amino acids. I’d rather have 15 grams of Biotest BCAA or Leucine structured peptides than 45 grams of pea protein though. [/quote]

Why is that?
[/quote]

Number of grams of protein a day is not all that important. If you eat 200 grams of protein in a day, you are eating enough to manage all your daily needs, AND build a pound of muscle each day, and yet you are not going to build a pound of muscle in a day no matter how much protein you eat. And going higher on protein causes your cells to make more enzymes to use protein for fuel, and at a certain point produces excess ammonia.

Protein is a raw material in muscle, but it is primarily a trigger of muscle growth. If you get enough for your daily needs, then 3 extra grams a day will build a pound of muscle in a month, as long as you have the triggers for muscle growth. I think you would grow more muscle on 125 grams of protein including those that best trigger protein syntheses, than 300 grams of a fairly random mixture of amino acids.

People always complain about the taste of hemp and pea protein. I think they both taste awesome.

[quote]mertdawg wrote:

[quote]StateOfPsychosis wrote:

[quote]mertdawg wrote:
The only think I have come across is that it is pretty high in branched chain amino acids. I’d rather have 15 grams of Biotest BCAA or Leucine structured peptides than 45 grams of pea protein though. [/quote]

Why is that?
[/quote]

Number of grams of protein a day is not all that important. If you eat 200 grams of protein in a day, you are eating enough to manage all your daily needs, AND build a pound of muscle each day, and yet you are not going to build a pound of muscle in a day no matter how much protein you eat. And going higher on protein causes your cells to make more enzymes to use protein for fuel, and at a certain point produces excess ammonia.

Protein is a raw material in muscle, but it is primarily a trigger of muscle growth. If you get enough for your daily needs, then 3 extra grams a day will build a pound of muscle in a month, as long as you have the triggers for muscle growth. I think you would grow more muscle on 125 grams of protein including those that best trigger protein syntheses, than 300 grams of a fairly random mixture of amino acids. [/quote]

Thanks for responding, I think I am still in that mindset of “need more protein”. I am amazed now about how much I see people talking about lower amounts of protein. Times have changed haha

So instead of lots of suboptimal proteins, my efforts would be better placed at getting just enough of good quality foods/supplements?

Again, thanks for your time, I am always looking to learn.

It tastes better than hemp, and mixes better that most rice proteins, but…

You’ll definitely need a blender.
Most pea proteins I’ve tried can’t be mixed in a shaker.

You’ll definitely need some fruit juice to mix it with (I used carrot juice).
You won’t be able to drink it with water, no matter how ‘hardcore’ you are.

[quote]StateOfPsychosis wrote:

[quote]mertdawg wrote:

[quote]StateOfPsychosis wrote:

[quote]mertdawg wrote:
The only think I have come across is that it is pretty high in branched chain amino acids. I’d rather have 15 grams of Biotest BCAA or Leucine structured peptides than 45 grams of pea protein though. [/quote]

Why is that?
[/quote]

Number of grams of protein a day is not all that important. If you eat 200 grams of protein in a day, you are eating enough to manage all your daily needs, AND build a pound of muscle each day, and yet you are not going to build a pound of muscle in a day no matter how much protein you eat. And going higher on protein causes your cells to make more enzymes to use protein for fuel, and at a certain point produces excess ammonia.

Protein is a raw material in muscle, but it is primarily a trigger of muscle growth. If you get enough for your daily needs, then 3 extra grams a day will build a pound of muscle in a month, as long as you have the triggers for muscle growth. I think you would grow more muscle on 125 grams of protein including those that best trigger protein syntheses, than 300 grams of a fairly random mixture of amino acids. [/quote]

Thanks for responding, I think I am still in that mindset of “need more protein”. I am amazed now about how much I see people talking about lower amounts of protein. Times have changed haha

So instead of lots of suboptimal proteins, my efforts would be better placed at getting just enough of good quality foods/supplements?

Again, thanks for your time, I am always looking to learn.[/quote]

You still need some protein spread throughout the day for their anticatabolic effects, but again at a certain level the amount just upregulates protein use for energy, and it is pretty clear that protein use for energy matches added intake (because of increased enzyme levels) at about 1 gram per pound of bodyweight, though it may take a few days for the enzyme levels to rise. What’s more, if you cut back on protein, your body still burns at the higher rate for several days until enzyme levels normalize.

I think protein should be about 1 gram per pound of non-fat bodyweight, or even a little less, plus a high leucine source surrounding the training period, though “high” leucine may be 5-10 grams of leucine around training. In fact other proteins in that window may blunt the effect. You may want to read up on leucine for recommendations. If you eat protein every day your cells are going to have the AAs available when they get the signal.

The most important things in my opinion are:

  1. The right dose of daily protein, about 1 gram per pound of fat free BW average.

  2. Over a week, get all of your needed fats and fat soluble nutrients,
    the RIGHT amount of omega 3s,
    retinol,
    vitamin D,
    vitamin K,
    carotenoids,
    a variety of short, medium and long chain saturated and mono-unsaturated fatty acids,
    cholesterol
    and also the fruit and greens micronutrients that are involved in lipid metabolism and modification.

  3. BCAAs and especially leucine around training. If you train long, BCAAs will prevent breakdown. If you train fast and hard, leucine will signal protein synthesis.

Then the best way to add more muscle is to bring your post workout sugars, and your daily healthy starches up, and spread around to prevent net catabolism.

Tastes horrid.

Blows you up like a hot air balloon.

[quote]mertdawg wrote:

[quote]StateOfPsychosis wrote:

[quote]mertdawg wrote:

[quote]StateOfPsychosis wrote:

[quote]mertdawg wrote:
The only think I have come across is that it is pretty high in branched chain amino acids. I’d rather have 15 grams of Biotest BCAA or Leucine structured peptides than 45 grams of pea protein though. [/quote]

Why is that?
[/quote]

Number of grams of protein a day is not all that important. If you eat 200 grams of protein in a day, you are eating enough to manage all your daily needs, AND build a pound of muscle each day, and yet you are not going to build a pound of muscle in a day no matter how much protein you eat. And going higher on protein causes your cells to make more enzymes to use protein for fuel, and at a certain point produces excess ammonia.

Protein is a raw material in muscle, but it is primarily a trigger of muscle growth. If you get enough for your daily needs, then 3 extra grams a day will build a pound of muscle in a month, as long as you have the triggers for muscle growth. I think you would grow more muscle on 125 grams of protein including those that best trigger protein syntheses, than 300 grams of a fairly random mixture of amino acids. [/quote]

Thanks for responding, I think I am still in that mindset of “need more protein”. I am amazed now about how much I see people talking about lower amounts of protein. Times have changed haha

So instead of lots of suboptimal proteins, my efforts would be better placed at getting just enough of good quality foods/supplements?

Again, thanks for your time, I am always looking to learn.[/quote]

You still need some protein spread throughout the day for their anticatabolic effects, but again at a certain level the amount just upregulates protein use for energy, and it is pretty clear that protein use for energy matches added intake (because of increased enzyme levels) at about 1 gram per pound of bodyweight, though it may take a few days for the enzyme levels to rise. What’s more, if you cut back on protein, your body still burns at the higher rate for several days until enzyme levels normalize.

I think protein should be about 1 gram per pound of non-fat bodyweight, or even a little less, plus a high leucine source surrounding the training period, though “high” leucine may be 5-10 grams of leucine around training. In fact other proteins in that window may blunt the effect. You may want to read up on leucine for recommendations. If you eat protein every day your cells are going to have the AAs available when they get the signal.

The most important things in my opinion are:

  1. The right dose of daily protein, about 1 gram per pound of fat free BW average.

  2. Over a week, get all of your needed fats and fat soluble nutrients,
    the RIGHT amount of omega 3s,
    retinol,
    vitamin D,
    vitamin K,
    carotenoids,
    a variety of short, medium and long chain saturated and mono-unsaturated fatty acids,
    cholesterol
    and also the fruit and greens micronutrients that are involved in lipid metabolism and modification.

  3. BCAAs and especially leucine around training. If you train long, BCAAs will prevent breakdown. If you train fast and hard, leucine will signal protein synthesis.

Then the best way to add more muscle is to bring your post workout sugars, and your daily healthy starches up, and spread around to prevent net catabolism.
[/quote]

Awesome, thanks for the information.

I am not sure if I will go ahead with ordering, I would have to get quite a bit to make it worth the shipping charges and I don’t want to be stuck with a bunch of stuff I hate.

Thanks for everybody’s input.

If someone got Biotest Leucine (structured peptides) a “serving” is just 5 grams of protein. A 60 serving container for around $35.

2 servings a half hour before training, and 2 servings at the end, or about an hour into training will provide (just) 20 grams of protein, but it will do the job that someone might get by adding 60-80 grams of random protein every day throughout the day.

It can be mixed/combined with carbs as needed.

If someone work out half of the days in the month, 4 scoops on each training day will last you a month, for about a dollar a day.

I personally would rather add 20 grams of high leucine di-/tri- peptides on training days than ANY amount of pea protein on a daily basis. I’d rather get 140 grams of protein plus high leucine (20 gs total protein) around training for 160 grams total than simply upping 140 grams to 200 a day of random amino acids.

But if you need generic protein to fill out your 140 grams or so needed for daily nitrogen balance (and I believe that studies I have read have not found any athlete in negative nitrogen balance on 140 grams a day, unless steroids are part of the equation) then pea protein looks OK in terms of being a fairly good anti-catabolic cheap protein to fill out that 140 grams. So pea is OK, but the source is critical. 90 grams of whole egg protein maintains nitrogen balance as well as 140 grams of generic plant protein or 120 grams of generic milk protein.

I use a a blend of pea and rice protein. Apparently a blend of about 70/30 is pretty comparable to whey, at least in AA profile.

Doesn’t taste great, but I’ve had MUCH worse tasting whey. The pea/rice shake is usable in a shaker bottle, and while it’s not great, I don’t have to chug it down. I can sip on it fine and not be disgusted.

It cleared up a ton of bloat for me, acne decreased, better bowel movements.

My diet is 90% vegetarian and I can 't use whey so I use hemp and pea protien. Frankly, I’m a fan and I like them both unflavored. I have a Vitamix so it gets mixed up nicely. It’s probably best to have a mix of 2-3 different proteins in your arsenal.

I have only brought it once and it’s the only protein shake that doesn’t bloat me at all. I don’t mind the taste.

I take a pee every morning when I wake up, but I would not what it to be my protein source.