Thoughts on Pain & Gain

[quote]gregron wrote:
I see this movie being like a newer version of “Bad Boys.”

Over the top action with quite a bit of comedy added in for fun.

I’m looking forward to seeing it. I love the rock and marky mark. Hate micheal bay though.[/quote]

Michael Bay is directing Bad Boys 3 with Will Smith and Martin Lawrence. I actually like Lawrence and think he’s funny so I hope it rejuvenates his career.

[quote]Cimmerian wrote:
I think Michael Bay will tackle the subject with his usual nuance and grace. I expect the subject of steroids will be depicted realistically and factually, and we here on T-Nation will applaud him for it. The characters will be relatable and have some depth, the narrative shall be engaging with an unexpected twist or two, there shall be no unnecessary dick or masturbation jokes and nary an object will explode without due cause.

Nevertheless, I will not be watching.[/quote]

I like what you did here but both Wahlberg and Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson are serious lifters (albeit the latter more) and I don’t think they would have signed on to a script that ridiculed or even unfairly satirized the bodybuilding community, particularly on the subject of steroids.

Maybe I’m wrong but I think all the bodybuilding stuff will be depicted so over-the-top and in humour that no one will come out after watching the film thinking anything less of bodybuilding then they did before going in. And let’s be real here, the bodybuilding stuff is just an interesting and different' background for the main kidnap and wreck havoc’ plot.

Also i bet you would be hard pressed to find anybody who actually dislikes The Rock.

[quote]Gettnitdone wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:
I see this movie being like a newer version of “Bad Boys.”

Over the top action with quite a bit of comedy added in for fun.

I’m looking forward to seeing it. I love the rock and marky mark. Hate micheal bay though.[/quote]

Michael Bay is directing Bad Boys 3 with Will Smith and Martin Lawrence. I actually like Lawrence and think he’s funny so I hope it rejuvenates his career. [/quote]

If Wild Hogs couldn’t rejuvenate Martin Lawrence, nothing can. (Wild Hogs was a damn funny movie)

Maybe I’m wrong but I think all the bodybuilding stuff will be depicted so over-the-top and in humour that no one will come out after watching the film thinking anything less of bodybuilding then they did before going in. And let’s be real here, the bodybuilding stuff is just an interesting and different' background for the main kidnap and wreck havoc’ plot. [/quote]

Agreed.

I’ll watch it at some point.

[quote]optheta wrote:
Also i bet you would be hard pressed to find anybody who actually dislikes The Rock. [/quote]
Hate the Rock? Is there such a thing?

[quote]SavagedNatiion wrote:

[quote]optheta wrote:
Also i bet you would be hard pressed to find anybody who actually dislikes The Rock. [/quote]
Hate the Rock? Is there such a thing? [/quote]

No such thing exists.

Hating the Rock’s movies, though, is another thing entirely.

[quote]Cimmerian wrote:
I think Michael Bay will tackle the subject with his usual nuance and grace. I expect the subject of steroids will be depicted realistically and factually, and we here on T-Nation will applaud him for it. The characters will be relatable and have some depth, the narrative shall be engaging with an unexpected twist or two, there shall be no unnecessary dick or masturbation jokes and nary an object will explode without due cause.

I like what you did here but both Wahlberg and Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson are serious lifters (albeit the latter more) and I don’t think they would have signed on to a script that ridiculed or even unfairly satirized the bodybuilding community, particularly on the subject of steroids.

Maybe I’m wrong but I think all the bodybuilding stuff will be depicted so over-the-top and in humour that no one will come out after watching the film thinking anything less of bodybuilding then they did before going in. And let’s be real here, the bodybuilding stuff is just an interesting and different' background for the main kidnap and wreck havoc’ plot. [/quote]
This is a highly thought out and well put response, but I’m gonna have to disagree partially. Love them two guys,especially Rock from his WWF era wrestling but, let’s face it- them two will take any role to show off their bodies. Name a movie you hadn’t seen a shirtless Marky Mark let alone The Rock (minus Be Cool). So that in mind, I’m doubtful they care bout in-depth concerns of bodybuilding portrayed in mainstream America as much as having another vehicle to be shirtless in. True it’s over the top I don’t knock them for that. If it were a Will Ferrell movie, I’d probably be at the midnight showing lol.

99.9…% of people don’t care about hardcore bodybuilding and can’t even remotely relate to bodybuilders. Can this film change this for better or worse? Highly unlikely.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]optheta wrote:

No such thing exists.

Hating the Rock’s movies, though, is another thing entirely. [/quote]
Rock does better acting to me as an accessory character like in Fast 5. Btw, according to the Rock’s uniform, US Special Forces are acquired to forget gaudy things like body armor in favor of extra tight Under Armour shirts and baby oil. Reminds me of Commando…

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]optheta wrote:

No such thing exists.

Hey he made the Rundown, that is one of the best action/adventure movie in a while. Hell its got Sean William Scott and Christopher Walken as well, and even A Arnold Cameo.

[quote]Cimmerian wrote:

This is a highly thought out and well put response, but I’m gonna have to disagree partially. Love them two guys,especially Rock from his WWF era wrestling but, let’s face it- them two will take any role to show off their bodies. Name a movie you hadn’t seen a shirtless Marky Mark let alone The Rock (minus Be Cool). So that in mind, I’m doubtful they care bout in-depth concerns of bodybuilding portrayed in mainstream America as much as having another vehicle to be shirtless in. True it’s over the top I don’t knock them for that. If it were a Will Ferrell movie, I’d probably be at the midnight showing lol.
[/quote]

I would pay to see will Ferrell in the leading role, that would be a film worth watching!

Eh, I figure it’ll be worth a laugh or two. While I"m not a fan of Michael Bay, I do realize that there’s a lot to laugh at when dealing with bodybuilder/80’s meat-head stereotypes. I certainly wouldn’t take anything in a movie such as this as offensive, and to be honest, our little gym addicted cross section of the world is still in such a minority that I doubt anyone would even care if we were (look at the Planet Fitness TV commercials).

Am I racing out to see it all giddy in anticipation? Nah, but if my buddy wanted to catch it and grab some burgers afterward, I’d be there.

S

[quote]optheta wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]optheta wrote:

No such thing exists.

Hey he made the Rundown, that is one of the best action/adventure movie in a while. Hell its got Sean William Scott and Christopher Walken as well, and even A Arnold Cameo.[/quote]

The Rundown is great, highly underrated, IMO. He’s got a few other good ones, too. Walking Tall and Gridiron were both watchable, at least. But let’s not forget about Journey 2, Toothfairy, Game Plan and a myriad of other bad, bad films. Plus the Rundown is probably 10 years ago at this point, so it’s been awhile.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]optheta wrote:

No such thing exists.

Rock does better acting to me as an accessory character like in Fast 5. Btw, according to the Rock’s uniform, US Special Forces are acquired to forget gaudy things like body armor in favor of extra tight Under Armour shirts and baby oil. Reminds me of Commando…[/quote]

Very Commando-esque. Not a bad thing, though, I like Commando for what it is.