Thoughts on New Training Split

Had a pretty good thing going with a legs/push/pull split, but due to time constraints I’m moving to more of a push/pull split. I still want to squat twice a week and pull con deads once a week. Also incorporating 2 days of running (1 day of sprints, 1 day of 400m repeats) and 1 day pushing the prowler. Probably going to get flamed for this, but I took a look at crossfit football’s programming template and kinda ripped it off. I just added in 2 assistance lifts to the main lifts they have programmed, and then swapped out there DWOD (crossfit style metcons) for the sprints and track intervals. This split may not do much for me in terms of hypertrophy, but I’m hoping to build some strength on the main lifts and maintain good conditioning. My only concern is if my legs will have enough time to recover. Soft-tissue work and some static stretching will be key. Any thoughts?

Monday: AM: Squat 5x5, OHP 5x5, RFESS 4x8, DB Incline Bench 4x6-8 PM: 10-12x100m sprints

Tuesday: Deadlift 5RM, Pull-ups 5x5, Barbell Rows 4x6-8, Back Extensions 4x8, Farmers Carry 4 sets

Wednesday: Off

Thursday: AM: Squat 5x5, Bench Press 5x5, RFESS 4x8, Dips 4x6-8, PM: 15-20min of heavy Prowler pushes

Friday: Rack Pulls 5x6, Chins 5x5, Barbell Rows 4x6-8, Back Extensions 4x8, Farmers Carry 4 sets

Saturday: 4-6x400m repeats, 4-6x200m repeats

Sunday: Off

I think it looks fun and challenging! I believe your legs will adapt.

[quote]Evolv wrote:
I think it looks fun and challenging! I believe your legs will adapt.[/quote]

I believe you’re in for a very, very painful few weeks until they do.

What are your goals?

“I’m hoping to build some strength on the main lifts and maintain good conditioning” is pretty vague.

Are you an off-season football player preparing for next season? Just a dude trying to get into good shape? What’s your current conditioning like? More specificity would be helpful in determining whether the “split” listed is good for your goals.

[quote]ActivitiesGuy wrote:
What are your goals?

“I’m hoping to build some strength on the main lifts and maintain good conditioning” is pretty vague.

Are you an off-season football player preparing for next season? Just a dude trying to get into good shape? What’s your current conditioning like? More specificity would be helpful in determining whether the “split” listed is good for your goals.[/quote]

I train because my job requires me to be strong. I condition for two reasons; I have to take a PT test that includes a 3 mile run, and because I like knowing that if I have to run fast for some reason, I can.

My goal is to get strong. I love squatting and deadlifting, and would really like to push those lifts hard. I would love to add mass, but strength is the main goal. While my rep ranges might not be ideal for hypertrophy, I think that with a calorie surplus I should be able to add muscle.

My priorities are:

1. Lower body strength
  2. Upper body strength
  3. Maintain conditioning
  4. Add mass

I would rotate/alternate rep ranges for the squat to keep you fresher and should also give better strength gains ie 5x10, 5x5,3x3, repeat, even 3x20!