T Nation

Thoughts on My Protein Shake

What are your thoughts on this as my post workout meal/shake?

1 cup soy milk
1 scoop Gemma pea protien
1/4 cup egg whites
Some water
1 cup oats
1 banana
3 Tbs peanut butter
1 Tbs coconut oil
1 heaping tablespoon cocoa powder
Squirt of honey

I can't drink milk or use whey.

Does this meet your protein supplementation needs? It looks more like a full meal replacement.

I would however ditch the soy milk, I see you can't use dairy but soy milk isn't the greatest in my opinion.

I've been drinking soy milk for years with no apparent ill effects.

Yes, it fits in with my protien needs.

Yeah, it's basically a full meal replacement that I plan to down right after my workout out. I'll eat something a few hours later too.

A lot of people worked with mercury/lead/asbestos for years with no apparent ill effects either. Then it hit them.

Past performance doesn't always equate to future performance.

True. However, I would classify soy under mercury, lead or asbestos. I think soy has been in people's diet for a while now.

Anyway, didn't want this to turn into a soy discussion.

Digity, if you know things better than everyone else already (like the soy thing), why do you open a thread?

Also grains (gluten...) have been in human diets for a while and still cause a lot of problems for many people.

I don't like the idea of post-workout shakes. If we are talking workout nutrition, it is probably far more important what you eat immediately pre and during workouts. This peri-workout nutrition should consist of functional carbs and readily available proteins/peptides/amino acids and probably electrolytes. You shakes fat content would slow down the availability of the key nutrients which would just not be optimal.

If we are talking about just a regulat full meal (i.e. the first meal post workout), I would always prefer solid food over shakes and certainly don't go for high-glycemic foods (such as a banana) in combination with a lot of fat.

I just think there's a lot of unnecessary hysteria around soy and it often comes from weightlifters. I'm not suggesting I know everything, but there's just as many sources out there that tell you soy in moderation isn't going to adversely effect you. I have three and half cups of soy milk a week. That's mainly the only soy I consume. Do you really think that's a big deal? I don't. That's why I don't want to spend all this time on such a minor amount. I'd rather focus the attention on the original question.

I get your concerns about fat, absorption, etc. However, my understanding is that people have made too big a deal about all this stuff and that if you're working out like 3x week it's not that important. Am I right here?

Why is a full meal vs. a shake any better or different post workout? At the end of the day isn't it just food either way?

Isn't not better to use rice milk?

Rice or almond milk would likely be a better choice because they don't have a high phytoestrogen content like that in soy.

Yeah, I might do almond or rice milk, but I doubt 3 cups a week of soy milk really matters. Some of you see the words "soy" and immediately freak out...not even considering the quantity, etc. Things like quantity matter. If the quantity is small the effects are probably negligible.

Most of these studies and inconclusive...if three cups a week was a big deal don't you think these studies would have seen that by now?

We're giving our thoughts on your protein shake. That's all.

Personally, I also think it's too high in fat for a post-workout shake. But part of that depends on the rest of your diet, especially what you're eating pre-workout.

Yep, as a milk alternative, rice or almond milk (even goat milk or Lactaid milk) would be better bets.

Nope. Unprocessed soy is fine in moderation. Soy milk (and other soy food-substitutes like soy burgers and soy jerky) is processed beyond the point of being similar to its natural nutritious state.

There have been a lot of valid points made about soy, particularly the phytoestrogrens. However, Berardi had a good article that examined some of the misunderstandings, and valid criticisms, about it:
http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_nutrition/soy_whats_the_big_deal

Bottom-line worth repeating: Whole food sources of soy are fine in moderation. Processed versions of soy should be avoided.

Then, like the Starting Strength program we were all talking about in your other thread, do it. You're really giving the impression that you want to do what you want to do and you clearly don't like being challenged, so... yes, soy milk is fine for you. Carry on.

With that line of thinking, why bother following a decent training program? You're just going to lift some weights three days a week, so why make a big deal about the exercises, sets, or reps. Go in, do what you feel like, then go home.

Dude, on some level, it's those little things that all add up down the road and snowball into progress. Half-assing your training or half-assing your nutrition will give you half-assed results, if that.

Okey, imo OP knows just about everything about training and nutrition anyways, so I'm starting to regret having answered in the first place.
Pretty sure you out-squat me and everybody here by 100 pounds.

Berardi's article actually supports my position.

Here's the quote from the article:

Note in the first paragraph Berardi says that "soy milks" are better options.

He also says one to two servings of soy per day seems safe. I'm doing three servings over a span of a week!

From the looks of it I was correct in saying that my intake of three servings of soy milk over a week is not a big deal....and you're hearing it from some like Berardi who seems to know what he's talking about.

So you asked for feedback on your post workout shake and you received slight criticism on a few ingredients from highly knowledgeable people. What were you expecting to hear? "Dood you'll get fuarking jacked drinking that!!! My sleevz fell off just reading what an awesome pwo shake you got!"

You kinda glossed right over the quote on page one of that article from Dr. Kaayla Daniel (who's most likely done more research specifically into soy's health benefits and risks than Dr. Berardi):

"For most people, I do recommend soy foods made with organic soybeans. But, it's important for people to understand that all soybeans, organic and otherwise, contain phytoestrogens and anti-nutrients. Thus, people put themselves at risk for health problems if they consume soy milk, veggie burgers, and other unfermented soy products, whether or not they buy organic."
(emphasis mine)

But like I said, you want to keep your soy milk, so you're going to keep your soy milk.

Spot on brah, its not like you are going to be the next Mr. Olympia or 'nything so why give a fuck, just lift some heavy assed weights and get jacked. Seriously though, I'm having hard time understanding why you want to go through the trouble of mixing up all that shit and downing it after workout when your attitude towards all the little things is that they don't matter for a shit and are exaggerated.

The difference between consuming that shake vs. consuming some whey and carbs followed by a PWO meal is so very small that you probably don't give a fuck about that either. What do you look to achieve with that shake, and what exactly is it that you are hoping to get out of this thread?

If you know it all better than everyone else why not just get fucking huge and strong doing what you are doing and maybe in 10 years you can write a self help book about the art of not giving a fuck and how it helped you on your road to awesomeness. Just my worthless two cent.

This^^^

I'm all about not getting caught up in minutia, but that shake is chaulk full of minutia.

It's unneccessarily overly complicated. You might as well just eat a meal.

I used to look up to your knowledgeable and humble posting :confused:

Why are you so attached to your soy milk? :slight_smile: I use almond, coconut, also the think coconut milk for fats would be good but not post workout. This shake looks like it has a lot of fat which would be good if you were trying to just get a surplus of calories... Try to have more protein and carbs and save the fats for your later meal.