Thoughts on My Portfolio

[quote]tedro wrote:

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Johnson & Johnson, Procter & Gamble, Exxon Mobil, AT&T, Merck, Verizon, Western Union, and Kimberly Clark. Heavy on the JJ, Exxon, Western Union.

Throw in some bullion and some Newmont Mining and Agnico-Eagle (mining stocks).

Too stodgy? I’m in my 50’s btw.[/quote]

All about the divvy aren’t you?

Is this a taxable account or are these in your retirement accounts? What do you like about WU? I’ll admit I’ve never taken a close look at the company, but I’ve kind of considered that (ignorantly perhaps)a dying industry.

Without knowing your goals for these stocks it’s hard to offer much. It doesn’t seem real diversified, but I don’t stay diversified in my taxable account either. I’d say you are pretty low risk as far as stocks go. You have a pretty strong presence in health care, but that’s probably not a bad thing today. XOM is obviously subject to some volatility, but I wouldn’t have any major long term concerns about it.

I’d keep a close eye on T and VZ. If I had to pick one stock to own for the rest of my life, it would be Ma Bell, but the coming years will be very interesting. Between the T-Mobile/Metro PCS deal and Softbank/Sprint the tide in cellular could certainly shift. Also a lot of talk of Dish getting into the game. The cellular industry will grow by leaps and bounds over the coming years as data usage multiplies and there may be fights for spectrum. A significant change in market share is a real possibility, but I don’t know that any of the other companies can compete with T over fiber, so that will provide a solid backbone should something major occur.

Full disclosure I’m also long S.[/quote]

Right now, I let the dividends buy more shares and pay taxes out of pocket on the income.

I actually plan to never sell any of these stocks. When my wife retires (she has a very secure pension, as a univ prof), I’ll start taking the dividends in cash, for travel and for charity (like my daughter’s orphanage in China).

Western Union is a very simple company to run, pays a 4% dividend, PE of 7. I like stocks with low PEs and good dividends. Its an old crusty company but seems pretty adept at churning out the dollars.

Thank you for the very thoughtful reply!

[quote]Teledin wrote:
What made you decide on those specific company stocks?[/quote]

I love dividends. I can’t beat the pros at picking the next Apple ($12 per share back in 2003…ouch!!) so I’m fairly happy with dividends. But I do feel I need to diversify more, such as the suggestion about emerging markets. Got some ideas? I’ve actually been think of Greek stocks btw…seriously.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

[quote]Teledin wrote:
What made you decide on those specific company stocks?[/quote]

I love dividends. I can’t beat the pros at picking the next Apple ($12 per share back in 2003…ouch!!) so I’m fairly happy with dividends. But I do feel I need to diversify more, such as the suggestion about emerging markets. Got some ideas? I’ve actually been think of Greek stocks btw…seriously.
[/quote]

Interesting you should say that. I have a small play in NM right now. It is a Greek dry bulk shipping company. Dry bulk shipping has been absolutely hammered the last few years, and this one even more so since it is a Greek company. The company outlook really has little to do with Greece and much more to do with the world economy. This is a very difficult and competitive sector right now, but if you want to take some time to really do your due diligence you may also decide that this company has tremendous upside and is very well run, i.e. they will be able to weather a continued poor market for the coming years. I will likely be adding more to this position over the coming months, as well as it’s counterpart NMM.

[quote]tedro wrote:

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Johnson & Johnson, Procter & Gamble, Exxon Mobil, AT&T, Merck, Verizon, Western Union, and Kimberly Clark. Heavy on the JJ, Exxon, Western Union.

Throw in some bullion and some Newmont Mining and Agnico-Eagle (mining stocks).

Too stodgy? I’m in my 50’s btw.[/quote]

What do you like about WU? [/quote]

He thinks they’re going to be huge when society crumbles and we all have to communicate via telepgraph.