T Nation

Thoughts on My Portfolio

Johnson & Johnson, Procter & Gamble, Exxon Mobil, AT&T, Merck, Verizon, Western Union, and Kimberly Clark. Heavy on the JJ, Exxon, Western Union.

Throw in some bullion and some Newmont Mining and Agnico-Eagle (mining stocks).

Too stodgy? I’m in my 50’s btw.

I’m poor, giv a geezer some coin sir?

Well, if the whole world suddenly reverts to 1985 you’ll be fine.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Johnson & Johnson, Procter & Gamble, Exxon Mobil, AT&T, Merck, Verizon, Western Union, and Kimberly Clark. Heavy on the JJ, Exxon, Western Union.

Too stodgy? I’m in my 50’s btw.[/quote]

Are you an engineer?

A wizard?

[quote]Nards wrote:
A wizard?[/quote]
An engineer wizard?

My portfolio contains a lot of colorful illustrations.

The best investments are the ones where you actually make money by DOING or MAKING something (my financial planner’s words).

:wink:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

Are you an engineer? [/quote]

No, I’m a high school calculus teacher.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

You need a fund in emerging markets and developing markets. I’ve got 65% invested in companies outside the USA.

Exxon is, in essence a commodity stock.

[quote]harrypotter wrote:
I’m poor, giv a geezer some coin sir?[/quote]

What happened to all your gold in Gringots?

[quote]thethirdruffian wrote:

You need a fund in emerging markets and developing markets. I’ve got 65% invested in companies outside the USA.

[/quote]

He is older, more risk adverse as he has a retirement to fund.

As a whipper-snapper you should be more bullish in foreign markets. I don’t see much real growth coming out of the US for awhile. QE inflation has to come at some point, and if the Schiff’s of the world are correct, well… Lets just assume they aren’t for now.

I give my money to Ric Edelman and he puts it in something called an EMAP…it’s a diversified portfolio that reallocates every day. I like it.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:
if the Schiff’s of the world are correct, well… Lets just assume they aren’t for now.[/quote]

Could you elaborate? I’m just not familiar with this.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
My portfolio contains a lot of colorful illustrations.

The best investments are the ones where you actually make money by DOING or MAKING something (my financial planner’s words).

;)[/quote]

I thought the best ones were the ones where you create [sustainable] SYSTEMS that do or make things?

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]countingbeans wrote:
if the Schiff’s of the world are correct, well… Lets just assume they aren’t for now.[/quote]

Could you elaborate? I’m just not familiar with this.[/quote]

Schiff called the meld down in 2008 almost down to the letter. Smart dude, who has just enough Chicken Little in him to make him interesting. He has big gold positions so he pushes the gold standard hard, etc. Anyway I would give him a go, and like anyone with a grain of salt. I’m not as much in the “world is over” camp as he is, but the dude is smart and keeps it crazy enough to be entertaining.

This is worth the hour and 40 mins IMO.

This is a good dig, he cherry picks people but funny just the same.

His “radio” show clips are good too.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

All about the divvy aren’t you?

Is this a taxable account or are these in your retirement accounts? What do you like about WU? I’ll admit I’ve never taken a close look at the company, but I’ve kind of considered that (ignorantly perhaps)a dying industry.

Without knowing your goals for these stocks it’s hard to offer much. It doesn’t seem real diversified, but I don’t stay diversified in my taxable account either. I’d say you are pretty low risk as far as stocks go. You have a pretty strong presence in health care, but that’s probably not a bad thing today. XOM is obviously subject to some volatility, but I wouldn’t have any major long term concerns about it.

I’d keep a close eye on T and VZ. If I had to pick one stock to own for the rest of my life, it would be Ma Bell, but the coming years will be very interesting. Between the T-Mobile/Metro PCS deal and Softbank/Sprint the tide in cellular could certainly shift. Also a lot of talk of Dish getting into the game. The cellular industry will grow by leaps and bounds over the coming years as data usage multiplies and there may be fights for spectrum. A significant change in market share is a real possibility, but I don’t know that any of the other companies can compete with T over fiber, so that will provide a solid backbone should something major occur.

Full disclosure I’m also long S.

[quote]tedro wrote:
You have a pretty strong presence in health care, but that’s probably not a bad thing today. [/quote]

HAHA, yeah. Between government mandated demand, baby boomers getting old and not a single second of time spent on (government’s) cost reduction, I’d say profits should be good there for years to come.

EDIT

[quote]harrypotter wrote:
I’m poor, giv a geezer some coin sir?[/quote]

What happened to all your gold in Gringots?[/quote]

Blew it all sniffing crack of Hermiones arse and tits.

That bitch is not cheap to hire.

What made you decide on those specific company stocks?

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

Exxon is, in essence a commodity stock.[/quote]

I really like the prospects in South America, esp Chile. Good post!