Thoughts on my First Program for a Meet in May

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-04QgV8ip2yXsHptPCd6CD4hXCALdA-5rMur9_JvKkg/edit?usp=sharing

Would definitely give some feedback but you need to alter the permissions so the document is public.

Jason

1 Like

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-04QgV8ip2yXsHptPCd6CD4hXCALdA-5rMur9_JvKkg/edit?usp=sharing

When I click on the link I get a notice that I require permission to view.

You need to change the settings on your google document.

Jason.

@swoliom8, the link’s still not working. It would be tons easier for everyone if you posted a screenshot of whatever you’re trying to link to. Or, ya know, just type it out.

Programed Maxes
Squat 315
Bench 225
Deadlift 405

week 1

Monday
Squat 3x3 285 90%
Leg Press 3x12
Leg Extension 3x15

Tuesday
Deadlift 3x3 365 90%
Bicep Curl 3X12
Bicep Superset 3x
Cable Curl 3x10

Wednesday
Bench 3x3 205 90%
Rope Pushdown 3x12
Skull Crusher 4x10

Thursday
Pause Squat 4x6 RPE 8
Hamstring Curl 3x10
Calf Raise 3x15

Friday
Deficit Deadlift 4x6 RPE 8
Lat Pulldown 4x15
Cable Row 3x12

Saturday
Pause Bench 4x6 RPE 8
Incline Bench 3x12
Fly Machine 3x10

week 2

Monday
Squat 3x3 290 add 2.5/5
Leg Press 3x12
Leg Extension 3x15

Tuesday
Deadlift 3x3 370 add 2.5/5
Bicep Curl 3X12
Brac Superset 3x
Cable Curl 3x10

Wednesday
Bench 3x3 210 add 2.5/5
Rope Pushdown 3x12
Skull Crusher 4x10

Thursday
Pause Squat 4x6 RPE 8
Hamstring Curl 3x10
Calf Raise 3x15

Friday
Lat Pulldown 4x15
Cable Row 3x12

Saturday
Pause Bench 4x6 RPE 8
Incline Bench 3x12
Fly Machine 3x10

week 3

Monday
Squat 5x2 300 95% Last set AMRAP
Leg Press 3x12
Leg Extension 3x15

Tuesday
Deadlift 5x2 385 95% Last set AMRAP
Bicep Curl 3X12
Brac Superset 3x
Cable Curl 3x10

Wednesday
Bench 5x2 215 95% Last set AMRAP
Rope Pushdown 3x12
Skull Crusher 4x10

Thursday
Pause Squat 4x6 RPE 8
Hamstring Curl 3x10
Calf Raise 3x15

Friday
Lat Pulldown 4x15
Cable Row 3x12

Saturday
Pause Bench 4x6 RPE 8
Incline Bench 3x12
Fly Machine 3x10

week 4

Monday
Squat 5x5 270 85%
Leg Press 3x12
Leg Extension 3x15

Tuesday
Deadlift 5x5 345 85%
Bicep Curl 3X12
Brac Superset 3x
Cable Curl 3x10

Wednesday
Bench 5x5 190 85%
Rope Pushdown 3x12
Skull Crusher 4x10

Thursday
Pause Squat 4x6 RPE 8
Hamstring Curl 3x10
Calf Raise 3x15

Friday
Lat Pulldown 4x15
Cable Row 3x12

Saturday
Pause Bench 4x6 RPE 8
Incline Bench 3x12
Fly Machine 3x10

after the 4 weeks I would deload and re test my maxes, I intend to use this program 2 times and then do a 4 week peak in prep for my first powerlifting meet on may 12. for week 2 when it says add 2.5/5 the weight increase is based off of how my warmup sets move

sorry for all of the trouble guys I am new to this, I greatly appreciate any suggestions you guys have

This part made me laugh:

You would be lucky to get one rep on the last set. I strongly recommend that you don’t use this program, nor attempt to write your own any time soon. I’m not trying to be mean, I’m just giving you the honest truth. First of all, there is no use in doing so much work with 90%+ when you are so far out from a meet, and testing maxes every few weeks will not help at all. And it’s a good day if you can get 90%x3 or 95%x2 - and I mean for one set. The percentages you are working with are way too high, and you also have a lighter week (still impossible - 85%x5x5?) at the end, why? You need to just discard the whole program and find something else.

Are you used to training six days a week? It works for some people and I have done it myself, but it’s questionable whether it’s any better than 3 or 4 days a week unless you are doing a lot of volume in each session and are pressed for time. The only good thing I see about this is that you want to squat and bench (and deadlift) twice a week, most people do best squatting and benching at least twice a week although deadlift can work with one session.

Look into existing programs, or hire a coach. There are free programs on Sheiko’s site, the 3 day program would be appropriate for you. Some sort of 5/3/1 variation that has you squatting and benching twice a week can work too. The Cube gets good results for a lot of people, I’m not sure if there are any options or variations where you squat twice a week but it’s worth checking out. Powerlifitngtowin has some free novice programs, I hear good things. GZCL could work too, just don’t try to program it the way that @jason03 did!

Basically, find a coach or program and follow it. You don’t need to train too heavy right now, you should be focused on adding muscle mass (and losing fat if necessary) and perfecting your technique. You have a lot of time to ramp up the weights, there is no rush. Just to give you an example, I just started a new training cycle for a meet at the end or April, today I squatted. I worked up to one heavy (but somewhat easy) set of 3 with a little over 80%, the rest of the work was with weights under 70% but I did close to 50 reps total and I will do more next week. If you train like you are peaking for several months you will be burnt out by the time the meet comes around, you could easily get injured, and you won’t make much progress either.

If you find a program that you want to use and need help selecting templates or exercises, don’t be shy to ask for help. Myself and other people here can sort you out.

Wow that was kind of harsh Chris lol

Foundation-wise what I had was fine BUT needed some tweaking in terms of exercise selection and scheduling. :wink:

Jason

1 Like

Thank you for the help Chris! I am currently running 5/3/1, M I run 5/3/1 for squat W I run 5/3/1 for bench and F I run 5/3/1 for deadlift. on Tuesday I choose a deadlift accessory focusing on a weak point in the lift which currently is technique because I am new to sumo. Thursday I do shoulders and biceps, after my 531 on deadlifts Friday I usually squat pretty light just for some extra volume. sat i do 4x6 pause bench to get my ready to pause for my comp. is this more towards what i should be doing 15 weeks out.

Okay so generally speaking I think the layout is fine in terms of progress: you have some linear progression in the beginning and then shift to percentages. And you’ve included some RPE to help designate loads for major assistance stuff - great!

As Chris so “nicely” pointed out, I am using GZCL method. I’m currently running a bastardized version of UHF5wk and will be shifting to my own template based on the method. If you want more frequency/exposure look in to it. You can look at my thread and (now out of date) template if you’d like - I’ll repost my updated one when it’s ready, complete with all the changes Chris and I discussed (with help from the GZCL community on Reddit).

And that’s where my major “criticism” come in to play, and I’m using that term losely. I’ve become exposed to full body routines with high frequency and have had great success, so naturally I am now recommending them. But take that with a degree of caution: you’re your own lifter with your own preferences, strengths, and weaknesses. You are not necessarily going to respond to the same level of stimuli to the same degree. If you benefit from a move a day approach (like you have above), keep going with it.

Jason

Thanks for the Help Jason i will look into your gzcl for sure.

1 Like

Either hire a coach or stick with 5/3/1. There are peaking cycles in 5/3/1 for powerlifting and beyond 5/3/1, just follow that when you get close to the meet. 5/3/1 isn’t perfect as a peaking strategy but it will work.

Will do, Thanks for the help

Robert Wilkerson is offering coaching for cheap rates. If you don’t know who he is then look him up. You can contact him through Facebook.

sheet is not public?

Here ya go (updated):

Jason

Monday 90% Squat

Tuesday 90% deadlift

Who the fuck wrote that? And that’s the first week