T Nation

Thoughts on Leg Extensions

I am curious as to what the contributers and anyone else thinks about Leg Extensions.

Is there a place for them as far as strenth training is concerned?

Is there any use for them in increasing knee stability and knee strength?

Validus

My opinion would be that there is no use to them. Even for my granny.
The squat and step-ups are sufficient to target the quadricep. ALso, for my nana, it is far more functional. It allows her to walk up and down stairs and sit on the shitter. Please do not attempt to visualize this.

moe

I think that training is comprised of both physiological elements and psychological elements. Boredom does set in if you do the same thing day after day.

For that reason I don’t think that any movement should be completely eliminated. Variety is important to keep you interested. As long as you place the emphasis on the compound exercises where it should be and minimize the use of extensions you’re golden. Besides, they give you a burn like nothing else (not that it matters, but it sure is fun).

[quote]Moerte wrote:
My opinion would be that there is no use to them. Even for my granny.
The squat and step-ups are sufficient to target the quadricep. ALso, for my nana, it is far more functional. It allows her to walk up and down stairs and sit on the shitter.
[/quote]

I agree there are better ways to use your time in the gym

Squats and single leg movements

Check out Mike Robertsons article regarding single leg stuff in the archives

Single-Leg Supplements
by Mike Robertson 07.05.04

They can be used as a pre or post-fatigue method in conjunction with squats.

Everything has its place. Although there are far more effective exercises (various squats, deadlifts, lunges, step ups, etc.), the leg extension can be a useful addition to your program.

I’m not a fan of the pre-exhaustion stuff that the bodybuilding mags have used for the past 15 years, but as a “down set” or to get in some extra isolation work on the quads, they aren’t a bad exercise. Just make sure you stick to the basics for the core of your leg work and use the leg extensions sparingly.

I’ve heard two different schools of thought on whether they help you or hurt you (knee issues). So the thing to do is do what works for you.