Thoughts on First Gen AB-1?

Dr. Darden or anyone else with experience,

Upon reading The Complete Book of Nautilus Training by Michael D. Wolf, Ph.D., the description for the Nautilus AB-1 (Clamshell crunch machine) is less than flattering. The book goes on to state that the handgrips, narrow seat pad, and full range of motion make the machine less than ideal for training abdominals. Thus, I was curious if anyone has a more favorable opinion of the first gen AB-1. Thank you.

Hi sgtncasello,

What does the AB-1 look like? I train at a Nautilus facility where they have a machine that fits the description. On second thought, most likely a newer version. Can you provide a pic?

I have an early Nautilus ab clam machine. For years I dreamed of having this machine and went to a lot of trouble to get one. I have unfortunately found I can get as good or better ab workout just lying on the floor and doing some crunches. I’ve tried moving the seat in multiple positions, put in pads on the seat etc and at best it gives a mediocre ab workout. If I hadn’t spent so much time and effort getting and fitting this machine in he space it now sits I’d get rid of it. The same goes for several other nautilus machines crammed into my workout space.
Scott

I own a 1st Gen Ab machine and I like it a lot. Even though I often thought about finding a way to customise it for achieving a better range of motion. Especially to start the exercise from a slightly more stretched position.
The handles on the machine are quite narrow if you’re big but I have seen videos of Gary strydom and Berry de may using it in golds in the late 80‘s. So it’s possible to train on it even with bigger size.
The movement and resistance really feels great and i really enjoy going to failure on this machine with controlled reps.

I did forget to mention that I have found that some first gen Nautilus machines seem to be made with big guys like 6’4 “ Dick Butkus in mind , not shorter guys 5’7” like me. My plate loading pullover, double chest, double shoulder to name a few were in my opinion made with bigger framed guys in mind. They might work great for you?
Scott

I always liked the first Nautilus Abdominal machine.

I once used a Nautilus Ab machine with blue pads. Not sure what gen, but I liked it.

I own a Next Generation Nautilus abdominal for many years now. I recently refurbished, mainly cleaning and oiling of this machine. This machine is so smooth, as smooth as my Next Generation Pullover machine. These machines have enough weights in their stack for even the strongest of men.

Recently, as I have aged, an attractive waist seems more important. Few have such an attractive midsection due to excessive food intake.

I also read about the Janda sit-up, where reciprocal inhibition means that when an agonist muscle activates, the antagonist muscle relaxes. As the original Nautilus clamshell abdominal machine resulted in abdominal muscular insufficiency , the Next Gen Abdominal did not.
This brings me to the Janda sit-up. I placed a strong resistance band on this machine in a low position to engage the hamstrings. Worked great.

Now I want to incorporate the Janda/Nautilus abdominal machine in a double exhaust regimen. Darden has nevertheless really challenged his readers with such, rather just several back to back machine targeting the core.

Thoughts?

Double pre/exhaust/post for an attractive waist past the age of 35?

Two best things to keep waist small and slim are enemas and stomach vacuums. In terms of exercises and Nautilus ab machines: I have a 2nd gen version and previously owned the NextGen version. I trained a couple of times on AB-1 (clam version) too. All have their (de)merits, so I would prefer to do dragon flags if want some exercise for my abdominals.

Have the abs 2 machine and prefer it over the clamshell. No pulling with the arms, much better direct effect on the abs.