T Nation

Thoughts on Extra Sets/Reps?

First off, i have no idea where to post this question, so i�´m sorry if its the wrong subforum.

I was wondering what it is that extra sets/reps would do for me exactly.

So for example i'm doing 5x5 SL. Lets say i hit a weight for 5x5, what would be the difference ( in adaptations or gains) if i after this did a 6th set of 2,3 or 4 reps. And what if i did a 7th set? or what if i did ? 20 singles with the same weight after my 5x5, or singles with a slightly higher weight?

Thinking out loud i would expect perhaps to make my body more adjusted to heavier weights by doing a couple of extra reps, not so much to get any stronger and perhaps to gain a little more muscle.

All comments are welcome.

"back off sets" are not uncommon... I think Staley is a big fan. However, they are normally prescribed as going down in weight for a few reps, not up... if you're doing a set program (which you should), they can eat into recovery and mess up the rest of the program.

I normally only do them if I miss my reps at the higher weight to get my volume in. 20 singles would be a workout in itself... pretty much like 20 rep squats or something like CT's, bruno's, and henriques' new stuff.

Yes and No.

SL 5x5 is designed to add 180lbs to your squat in a cycle (12 weeks). On the lower weight, work on your form. You would be surprised how many people don't use proper form once the weight goes up.

Yes, you can add set's or reps, but don't be surprised if you cant do the reps/set the last few weeks.

Listen to your body.

Yep, exactly. What would extra work do for you, that the base 5x5 workout didn't already do?

Short answer: Probably not all that much once you factor the energy output compared to the results earned.

Or what it you did the 5x5 workout, and then every hour on the hour for the next six hours you did one more set of 5, to really drive home that strength signal to the muscle. Or after 48 hours, do the 5x5 again but use 25% less weight, 30% faster lifting tempo, and 50% less time between sets, to cause an even more unique response in the muscle fibers.

Dude, more training does not always mean more results. As was said, there can be some benefit to doing "more", but it should be done as part of a comprehensive program that takes training frequency, volume, intensity, and recovery all into account. Simply tacking on 1, 2, or 20 extra sets in the hopes of building more strength or muscle is nuts.

5x5 is a time-tested program, perfectly fine as-is. There are other programs that do include things like backoff sets, added volume, feeder workouts, etc., but those are different standalone plans. If you want to experiment on your own, that's cool, but approach it in an organized, methodical way. Have a plan that's at least a couple of months long and know ahead of time how much you're doing on which days of which weeks.