Thoughts on Evolution

[quote]Charlie Horse wrote:
The first one. [/quote]

I have been to lake Louise :slight_smile:

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

hoping to avoid 40+ page debate that gets moved to PWI
[/quote]

I can help you save this thread from being tossed into the Hades that is PWI. I’ll just spin a record.

[/quote]

I hear the hell hounds of PWI barking already. They’re coming for this thread…

If you think about it, how can evolution not be real? Blacks worked in the fields for a few generations, and now they’re, for the most part, dominating professional sports.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:
I hear the hell hounds of PWI barking already. They’re coming for this thread…[/quote]

We can keep them at bay. Tell us your chest size and how it has evolved over the years.[/quote]

Not yet, I still need .5 more inches and then we’ll talk.

[quote]Kakarat wrote:
If you think about it, how can evolution not be real? Blacks worked in the fields for a few generations, and now they’re, for the most part, dominating professional sports. [/quote]

Yeah, remember all those old paintings depicting blacks dying by the hundreds because they couldn’t handle picking cotton, leaving only the strong and adequate cotton picking blacks to breed and pass on their genes? No? Me neither… weird. =_=

[quote]pushharder wrote:
BTW, Rajarooski, what kind of evolution you be talking about? The observable, testable kind (adaptation, micro-evolution)?

Or the unobservable, untestable kind (macro)?

Gotz to be rememberin’ that if you’re gonna be a PROfessional and responsible T-Nation pollster you have to word your questions sincerely and appropriately.

Shoot, I just heard a dog bark and I think it was cuz of this post. Crap![/quote]

Ahhh shit, you dun went and broke the peace treaty. Off comes the gloves, out come the 'knucks.

Macro-evolution is just a description of the compounded effects of micro-evolution. Enough small changes over time will look like a big change when you compare the organisms. For example, we share 98% of our DNA with chimps. All things considered, there have been very few changes made distinguishing us from our chimp-like ancestors. Any one of these smaller changes on their own (larger brains, less hair, smaller jaws, etc.) wouldn’t seem like much of a divergence, but when piled on top of one another, they do.

Macro-evolution IS observable in that you can observe micro evolution compound into enough genetic differences to warrant the classification of a new species. While you can’t observe macro-evolution in the traditional sense (since it takes so damn long), if you accept the fundamentals of micro-evolution (some small changes over a small period of time) then you must accept that, given enough time and environmental pressure, these changes will eventually be numerous enough that cross-breeding is no longer possible.

The difference between micro and macro evolution is not one of kind, but one of scale.

Hmm, that actually was pretty tame. There might be hope after all.

Bark*

Actually, I just looked it up and it turns out that whole-genome duplication resulting in speciation over a single generation HAS been observed.

Plant Speciation - PMC <<

So it looks like Macro evolution IS just as observable (and therefore as testable) as micro-evolution.

Sorry Push, there’s always next time.

Edit: It’s also been seen in animals, up to and including including humans >>Polyploidy - Wikipedia

Obviously, the more complicated organisms have more complications as a result of such rapid speciation and therefore are less likely to survive, but there you go nonetheless.

[quote]Kakarat wrote:
If you think about it, how can evolution not be real? Blacks worked in the fields for a few generations, and now they’re, for the most part, dominating professional sports. [/quote]
Haha, nice!!

Number 1 for me.

It’s funny because I just read a book called Why Evolution is True. Honestly I didn’t know much about it because it was never taught when I was in school. It was an interesting read.

The scientist in me cannot dispute the validity of the fossil record, evolutionary theory etc

But let’s not pretend that any empirical explanations are even remotely satisfying…

[quote]pushharder wrote:
Sorry Speedo Boy, but you’re wrong…and partially right.

But I’m not gonna let Raj’s thread get placed on the PWI asteroid.

What do you think of my dog? I showed him your avatar and he threw up. Now I have a mess to clean up.[/quote]

Alright old man, do you want to make a thread about it, or should I?