T Nation

Thoughts on Egypt?

It looks like the Egyptian PEOPLE (the military is unclear) will not accept another dictator, whether he hides behind religion or not.

While there most likely are some tough choices that need to be made in Egypt; the people are seeing right through Morsi’s attempts at gaining absolute Power. Good for them.

What are your thoughts on Egypt?

Where do you think the Military stands? (They SEEM to be “fence-staddling”…simply sitting back to see how this all turns out).

Let’s discuss.

Mufasa

I think they are heading to a hard core theocracy, and will further destabilize the region.

Probably so, Pat…

But won’t a lot hinge on what the Military decides to do?

Mufasa

Dollars to doughnuts Obama will not support another civil uprising.

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
Probably so, Pat…

But won’t a lot hinge on what the Military decides to do?

Mufasa[/quote]

Absolutely, but I think a hardcore theocracy would suit them just fine. I think it’s becoming more and more clear this ‘Arab Spring’ turned into a nuclear winter pretty quickly. It was not a ‘power to the people’ as it was portrayed, it was power to the hard-core Islamic militias and anybody they promised food to.
Anybody who gets power their is merely a puppet of the army because without military support, there is no power. That “democratically” elected president Morsy went strait for dictatorship in no time flat. Basically, if the army let’s him stay, Egypt has just got themselves a younger more vigorous Mubarak. One who may happily destabilize the region by messing with Israel.

All that hope went to hell in a quick minute. I can at least say I was skeptical of the whole thing, but hopeful that things might be really changing. In the end, being cynical about the Middle East is to be realistic. Let’s face it, there are to many freaks there for it ever to be a stable happy place. Hell, you get the Palestinians a free election and they elect Hamas.
There is something about violence and oppression they like, and I don’t know why, but they don’t think about life like we do and they won’t so it’s ridiculous to think that when given the option, they won’t vote themselves into oppression and violence. Oppression keeps peace and violence settles disputes.

[quote]cwill1973 wrote:
Dollars to doughnuts Obama will not support another civil uprising.[/quote]

I hope not. He should have done his homework on the other ones. Who are the real players, who is really jockeying for power. Apparently Arabs with throw down a protest in the drop of a hat if you tell them to, so the demonstrations really mean nothing until you find out who’s pulling the strings. Naturally, Israel knew all along, we just didn’t want to hear it. When it comes to the ME, trust Israel they know everything that’s going on.

I remember on 9/11, by noon EST Israel had already told us Bin Laden did it. We figured it out a couple weeks later.

[quote]pat wrote:

[quote]cwill1973 wrote:
Dollars to doughnuts Obama will not support another civil uprising.[/quote]

I hope not. He should have done his homework on the other ones. Who are the real players, who is really jockeying for power. Apparently Arabs with throw down a protest in the drop of a hat if you tell them to, so the demonstrations really mean nothing until you find out who’s pulling the strings. Naturally, Israel knew all along, we just didn’t want to hear it. When it comes to the ME, trust Israel they know everything that’s going on.

I remember on 9/11, by noon EST Israel had already told us Bin Laden did it. We figured it out a couple weeks later.[/quote]

Obama knew full well the Muslim Brotherhood was behind the protests and would come into power after the overthrow of Mubarak. He also knew they would not be friendly to the US and Israel. I agree he should not have supported them. It’s telling that he didn’t support the protests in Iran whose ordinary citizens are by and large pro western.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Afaf el-Sayed, a journalist and activist, told the newspaper she was assaulted by a group of men while protesting in Tahrir Square just over a month ago and she was sure her attackers were ‘thugs from the Muslim Brotherhood’.

In February 2011 the correspondent for the American network CBS, Lara Logan, endured a half-hour sexual assault in Tahrir Square by a group of men. She said after the ordeal that she had been ‘raped with their hands’.

While the exact frequency of these attacks is unknown, activists have reported nearly 20 attacks in the last ten days and say there has been a dramatic increase in mob sex attacks on protestors in the last year.

Most attacks take place in one particular corner of the square, at roughly the same time every evening, and usually starts with a group of men forming a human chain around women as if to protect them.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2241374/Muslim-Brotherhood-paying-gangs-rape-women-beat-men-protesting-Egypt-thousands-demonstrators-pour-streets.html#ixzz2E3y7xxgR

[quote]SexMachine wrote:
Afaf el-Sayed, a journalist and activist, told the newspaper she was assaulted by a group of men while protesting in Tahrir Square just over a month ago and she was sure her attackers were ‘thugs from the Muslim Brotherhood’.

In February 2011 the correspondent for the American network CBS, Lara Logan, endured a half-hour sexual assault in Tahrir Square by a group of men. She said after the ordeal that she had been ‘raped with their hands’.

While the exact frequency of these attacks is unknown, activists have reported nearly 20 attacks in the last ten days and say there has been a dramatic increase in mob sex attacks on protestors in the last year.

Most attacks take place in one particular corner of the square, at roughly the same time every evening, and usually starts with a group of men forming a human chain around women as if to protect them.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2241374/Muslim-Brotherhood-paying-gangs-rape-women-beat-men-protesting-Egypt-thousands-demonstrators-pour-streets.html#ixzz2E3y7xxgR

[/quote]

So much for piety. Reminds me of the self proclaimed holy warriors of the Soviet war in Afghanistan. The Mujaheddin had no problems passing time by corn holing pack mules or captured Russian soldiers. Fucking animals.

[quote]Legionary wrote:

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

[/quote]

So much for piety. Reminds me of the self proclaimed holy warriors of the Soviet war in Afghanistan. The Mujaheddin had no problems passing time by corn holing pack mules or captured Russian soldiers. Fucking animals. [/quote]

Churchill said of the Pashtun: “Their system of ethics, which regards treachery and violence as virtues rather than vices…is incomprehe­nsible to a logical mind”.

I was reading this morning that former UN worker El Baradei believes Egypt is close to civil war.

“El Baradei Warns: Egypt on the Brink of Civil War”

http://blogs.the-american-interest.com/wrm/2012/12/04/el-baradei-warns-egypt-on-the-brink-of-civil-war/

I recall too, one of the early problems that brought about the revolution in Egypt, and probably remains an issue today was food inflation. Buying food, grains in particular, was becoming more and more difficult for average Egyptians. As a result they rioted. Was reading this morning, that due to our ethanol mandate, less American corn is being exported than ever before.

“Ethanol Mandate Turns King Corn Into A Pauper”

[quote]Legionary wrote:

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

[/quote]

So much for piety. Reminds me of the self proclaimed holy warriors of the Soviet war in Afghanistan. The Mujaheddin had no problems passing time by corn holing pack mules or captured Russian soldiers. Fucking animals. [/quote]

It’s strange what people find sexually appealing. I guess I have never been that desperate.