Thoughts on Deadlift Technique

Hey guys still new to the site and taking advantage of being able to have the opinions of others. Thoughts on my deadlift technique. This was a relatively heavy set so form always breaks a little no matter who you are.

…straps though??

i lift sumo so what do I know anyway, that would hurt me.

but straps? cmon you look pretty strong, why use them?

hahahahaa dude i know hold on i can explain the straps. i don’t use them at my home gym because we have nice bars, but at school ours are all bent and loose, and no matter how much weight you have or if you use a mixed grip, they roll out of your hands onto your fingertips. im honestly better without straps if i have a good bar. if you look at my youtube channel “jjlederach” i do 455 for an easy 10 without them at my home gym using a texas squat bar. in short, im using a garbage bar right there.

hahahahaa dude i know hold on i can explain the straps. i don’t use them at my home gym because we have nice bars, but at school ours are all bent and loose, and no matter how much weight you have or if you use a mixed grip, they roll out of your hands onto your fingertips. im honestly better without straps if i have a good bar. if you look at my youtube channel “jjlederach” i do 455 for an easy 10 without them at my home gym using a texas squat bar. in short, im using a garbage bar right there.

good deadlifts imo, just last few reps your weight shifted little to your toes, but minor that is.

Preface: I suck at deadlifts.

It looks like after every rep your hips drop slightly lower and your back loosens up/becomes a tiny bit more rounded. What if you took a three more seconds before each rep to tighten your back up and reposition your hips?

That said, beautiful set. Just thinking about how long I’ll have to train to get to one rep at that weight (3xbw for me) makes me feel like fail. Or fail at DLs. I should post my own video here soon.

Looks good to me. Nothing worse than using a bent bar, at my gym you have to go on a quest to find the perfect one. Just try to ditch the straps unless it’s for high rep pulling movements, but you’re definitely a strong, strong mofo. But the real question is if the bodyweight lunges the guy was doing behind you impressed that girl enough to bring her home.

If you watch the initial pull you can see the weight shifted foward onto your toes. I think if you were to pull backwards onto your heels you could get a lot more. That’s really the only thing wrong that I can see. Maybe mobility work to pull your lower back in tighter but thats it. Nice pull.

if you have a bent bar, just make sure the apex of the curve is pointing up before you lift it, problem solved

Yeah i definitely need mobility work that’s for sure. i’m gonna start using a foam roller and go from there. thanks a lot for the opinions fellas they’re much appreciated and always helpful

Yeah i definitely need mobility work that’s for sure. i’m gonna start using a foam roller and go from there. thanks a lot for the opinions fellas they’re much appreciated and always helpful

and good call on my hips being too low. i think that’s one of my main problems, i need to get them higher and closer to the bar. ill post another video in a week or so with modified technique

[quote]JLederach wrote:
Hey guys still new to the site and taking advantage of being able to have the opinions of others. Thoughts on my deadlift technique. This was a relatively heavy set so form always breaks a little no matter who you are.

youd be doing about 50-100 lbs less without straps… switch to chalk man. you can only lift what u can grip and straps hinder progress

Here’s me the week before without straps. read my explanation for using them. 50-100 lbs less is radical. there is no difference for me if i have a good bar. what do you deadlift? 350? try not to take away from the accomplishments of others man. be happy for the people who are better than you at things.

oh and you’re a dumbass.

oh and you’re a dumbass.

You have three people in the background two doing bodyweight lunges and the other casually strolling around on the treadmill not the most motivating environment.
In the middle of that environment you have a really well built dude with chucks on pulling 485 for reps.

My advice go to a different gym.
My advice on your deadlifts well I can’t really give any. You pull 3 reps more than I can +80 lbs. I would be able to say something if your form was really bad but it’s not. Good work.

Form looks good, nice tight lower back and frwaarkin strong on the movement overall. Well done IMHO.

Straps: Fuck people, get over it! He already said the bar was shit to get a grip on, what else do you stupid fucks need. He is obviously strong and had a reason to use them jees.

Your pulls look good. As the reps go on your form gets less perfect(that’s expected), but you’re not doing anything crazy. Rippetoe just posted a deadlift article you should read…he hates the “bounce reps”

• stay strong

Your form breaks down a little, but the first 2 reps were actually a little less strict than the 3rd, IMO,

If you look back at the video, watch your head relative to the white portion of the bike (where the girl is initially). The first 2 reps your head completely covers the top white portion of the bike, and on the 3rd rep you are not coming too far forward anymore. It looks like your hips are coming up just a little too fast.

It may help to point your toes out a little more and do the same with your knees.