T Nation

Thoughts on Current Split?

I changed up my split. It’s 7 days a week, with Day 3 on the optional side. Wondering what people think:

Day 1: Legs ME (1 rep). calves
Day 2: Upper Back ME, Chest RE
Day 3: Oly lifts, abs, forearms
Day 4: Legs ME (3 reps) + RE
Day 5: Chest ME, Upper Back RE
Day 6: Shoulders and Traps
Day 7: Arms

I only do chest supplemental exercises on day 5 after the ME (actually one additional exercise only, the cable fly things). RE is 3-7 rep work sets.

I just started it. Any things I should watch out for? (besides overtraining. I’ll be sure to eat shitloads)

Thats a lot of wear and tear on your shoulders.

[quote]TheBlade wrote:
I changed up my split. It’s 7 days a week, with Day 3 on the optional side. Wondering what people think:

Day 1: Legs ME (1 rep). calves
Day 2: Upper Back ME, Chest RE
Day 3: Oly lifts, abs, forearms
Day 4: Legs ME (3 reps) + RE
Day 5: Chest ME, Upper Back RE
Day 6: Shoulders and Traps
Day 7: Arms

I only do chest supplemental exercises on day 5 after the ME (actually one additional exercise only, the cable fly things). RE is 3-7 rep work sets.

I just started it. Any things I should watch out for? (besides overtraining. I’ll be sure to eat shitloads)

[/quote]

It sounds like an ok, month-long overreaching period, but I wouldn’t go much longer than that. Reword your “RE” to “supplemental”. Focus on scapluar stability and rotator cuff work on your shoulder/trap day, sort of an active recovery day. Don’t do any high intensity cardio during this either.

My shoulder day isn’t too heavy on anterior delts for what it’s worth. I do 3 sets of standing barbell military presses, 3 sets of lateral raises, 3 of rear deltoid cable things, and 4 bradford presses. You reckon that’s straight? Or any other ideas to change it up?

That’s a terrifying amount of heavy work. Maybe you can handle it, but only if you’ve got well above-average work capacity, that you’re ready, and that you deload for a few weeks after running the above for 4-6 weeks. But if you survive it you might do very well.

Also, it occurs to me that if you are fairly weak to begin with, you’ll have a better chance of getting through it. If you squat 300 for a 1RM, it’s not that taxing to come back in a few days and squat 250x3. If you squat over 500 though, it’s another story.

yeah my big lift numbers aren’t that impressive (well, they are to other college studnets, but not so much to serious WS-style lifters). I’ve topped at 465 deadlift, 330 squat, and 235 bench and the numbers are a bit down now