T Nation

Thoughts on Chains and Bands on Olympic Lifts?

Hey coach …I was wondering what your thoughts was on putting chains and bands on power cleans ? I seen it on video by certain powerlifting cliub I’ll leave the name out but it seem kind of interesting topic …I know your past views on it…From before …I’m not going to try it or nothing …it just seem like interesting topic …

I just can’t imagine how safe it could be with the bands being more than 5% of the resistance. It seems it could be beneficial to develop finishing speed near the top of the rep (at least mentally, to train to follow through.)

Chains would need to never completely leave the ground, IMO. You don’t them swinging in the air.

Yeah that’s so true I’m not going to try it …it was video Louie Simmons had made…on how to fix u.s Olympic lifter strength.he believes bands would help on Olympic lifts…was one of tools I guess …if it had any value

Well, here is the thing… the bands add resistance mostly in the part of the lift where you have already accelerated and the bar is going up mostly on its own momentum. So the bands would add resistance in the portion of the lift where you are in the worst possible position to keep applying force.

The purpose of bands is to add resistance in the strongest portion of the lift (which is why it’s called accomodating resistance) but in the olympic lifts it increases it most where you are the weakest.

THe ONLY benefit of bands, and I’m talking about using a minimal amount of resistance here, it so force you to move under the bar faster to “beat the bands” which are throwing the bar down from the top with more acceleration than normal.

But literally, NOBODY does that. And I mean NOBODY … not a single competitive lifter has ever used bands on their lifts in training… and because of the internet the info is out there. If it worked, tons of people would be using them.

I have nothing but respect for Louie. And, to be fair, I did my best snatching when I was using bands… but on my squat, not on my snatch.

The thing that I find funny is that his recommendation for US weightlifters to be on par with the elite lifters of the world is … NOT to do what the elite lifters are doing, but something that none of them are doing.

The REAL reasons why the US is trailing behind countries like Iran, Egypt, Russia, China, etc. is NOT poor training methods or bad technique. It is simply that all of the best weightlifting genetics in the US are playing in the NFL (or College football). If you take these genetics and have them train for weightlifting as early as 12, they would KILL everybody on the world stage.

Yeah it sounds like dangerous idea from the video…

And it will completely mess up the timing of the lift.

I added the following to my original response in case you missed it:

I have nothing but respect for Louie. And, to be fair, I did my best snatching when I was using bands… but on my squat, not on my snatch.

The thing that I find funny is that his recommendation for US weightlifters to be on par with the elite lifters of the world is … NOT to do what the elite lifters are doing, but something that none of them are doing.

The REAL reasons why the US is trailing behind countries like Iran, Egypt, Russia, China, etc. is NOT poor training methods or bad technique. It is simply that all of the best weightlifting genetics in the US are playing in the NFL (or College football). If you take these genetics and have them train for weightlifting as early as 12, they would KILL everybody on the world stage.

hahaha its okay we all know who youre talking about :slight_smile: